number of raspberry pi 3 made?

Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:41 pm

number of them made?
I cannot find it.

Thank you.

W. H. Heydt

Re: number of raspberry pi 3 made?

Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:58 pm

Current production rate is on the order of 5 million Pis per year. I *think* that covers all types, but the Pi3B/Pi3B+ probably dominates at present. Current gross total of Pis sold to date is somewhat above 25 million. Calculate back to the release of the Pi3B to get an idea of how many have been made.

I do have couple of questions for you, though... Why do you need the datum? How accurate a number are you looking for? Does it really matter, since you have to specify the date on which your number was valid, given the production rate, to have *any* meaning at all.

Probably the best number is "millions".

mikerr

Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:15 pm

Last actual reported figure was 23million, but that was a few months back...

Have a look here:
viewtopic.php?f=63&t=75996
Android app - Raspi Card Imager - download and image SD cards - No PC required !

W. H. Heydt

Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:03 am

mikerr wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:15 pm
Last actual reported figure was 23million, but that was a few months back...

Have a look here:
viewtopic.php?f=63&t=75996
IIRC, someone mentioned 25 million within the last couple of months. In any case, one can guess that every ten weeks, it will go up by at least 1 million.

echmain

Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:53 am

Closing in on 31.4159 million.

Heater

Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:40 am

I know they made at least 3. I have got them!

fjr

Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:20 am

https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/raspbe ... le-now-35/
Here it says 9 million rp 3.
How accurate a number are you looking for?
How many millions?
Why do you need the datum?
I want to write Upton
an open letter and in the letter mention the raspberry pi 3.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:58 pm

fjr wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:20 am
https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/raspbe ... le-now-35/
Here it says 9 million rp 3.
How accurate a number are you looking for?
How many millions?
Why do you need the datum?
I want to write Upton
an open letter and in the letter mention the raspberry pi 3.
We generally don't release detailed sales information - just approximate overall numbers.

As for writing a letter to Mr Eben Upton, he already knows the numbers, so not sure why you would need to tell him!

EDIT; a quick look through your previous posts makes me think your letter will simply be a complaint about the fact the Pi is not completely open source. So let me try and save you the effort of writing it. The OSS situation isn't going to change in the near to mediium term at least, no matter how much you write. Over time we are able to make more and more open source (Eric's MESA driver eg), but the firmware running on the GPU has to remain closed. We cannot change to a completely new chip line due to the necessity of backwards compatibility, and our experience as a company is all on the current range. It's the pragmatic choice.

On question. What has the closed source blob running on the videocore stopped you from doing? And I mean an actual use case, not some ephemeral desire simply to examine the source code
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

rln

Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:46 pm

jamesh wrote:
What has the closed source blob running on the videocore stopped you from doing? And I mean an actual use case, not some ephemeral desire simply to examine the source code
Hi. On the topic what a closed bootloader has stopped me from doing I'd like to mention reliable network boot. The current PXE boot is not usable in large scale. This of course is related to the chip ROM which by definition can't be changed - but, bootcode.bin et al. would be nice to fix up if it were open.
Thanks
Author of the robust Nard distro http://www.nard.se

jamesh

Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:25 pm

rln wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:46 pm
jamesh wrote:
What has the closed source blob running on the videocore stopped you from doing? And I mean an actual use case, not some ephemeral desire simply to examine the source code
Hi. On the topic what a closed bootloader has stopped me from doing I'd like to mention reliable network boot. The current PXE boot is not usable in large scale. This of course is related to the chip ROM which by definition can't be changed - but, bootcode.bin et al. would be nice to fix up if it were open.
Thanks
Good point, and one of the few arguments I have come across that is valid. Of course, this isn't part of the main firmware, and I do wonder why its not open. I suspect there is something Broadcom proprietry in there, or perhaps its a security issue, but I will ask around.

In the meantime, I presume this is reported in our github? So will get looked at when someone has time (we are pretty busy at the moment).
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...

jamesh

Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:35 pm

According to a link elsewhere on the forum, 25M sold, >9M are Pi3.

That closed course blob doesn't seem to be a problem that's reflected in sales volume.

B.Goode

Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:24 pm

jamesh wrote:
EDIT; a quick look through your previous posts makes me think your letter will simply be a complaint about the fact the Pi is not completely open source. So let me try and save you the effort of writing it.

Possibly a false assumption.

Perhaps it is related to this:
viewtopic.php?f=63&t=235948 about "designing an universal notebook
cabinet able to accept various arm soc computers?" which specifically mentions RPi3.

fruitoftheloom

Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:38 pm

B.Goode wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:24 pm
jamesh wrote:
EDIT; a quick look through your previous posts makes me think your letter will simply be a complaint about the fact the Pi is not completely open source. So let me try and save you the effort of writing it.

Possibly a false assumption.

Perhaps it is related to this:
viewtopic.php?f=63&t=235948 about "designing an universal notebook
cabinet able to accept various arm soc computers?" which specifically mentions RPi3.

Yes this post, the one mentioned above as well as and this one...

viewtopic.php?f=62&t=226036&p=1387029#p1387029

....from the OP seem like trolling as like many before they just feel that the Raspberry Pi SBC should be fully open source and can not except otherwise.

To fjr in all honesty you really need to buy a differing SBC which is totally open hardware and find like minded developers !!

https://www.olimex.com/Products/OLinuXi ... e-hardware
Retired disgracefully.....

jamesh

Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:37 pm

I checked about the bootloader.

Unfortunately, that requires a compiler that we do not have permission to distribute, or indeed the code itself (Broadcom). We would have to write a new one using a third party VC compiler, and since they are all homegrown, its unlikely we could do that without hitting all sorts of bugs. So really not worth our time to do.

So, make sure any bootcode bugs are recorded in our issue tracker, and we will eventualy get round to loking at them.

Sorry.

rln

Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:15 pm

jamesh wrote:
So, make sure any bootcode bugs are recorded in our issue tracker, and we will eventualy get round to loking at them.
Thanks for the check. (I already knew it though.) The issue tracker has many PXE reports already. However, none of them are of "general instability", which of course is problematic to describe and reproduce... The thing is PXE can work OK in a local lab test setup. But for a real world production environment it's simply not stable enough. I think Gordon knows about it, but has no resources for fixing it.

ejolson

Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:41 pm

rln wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:15 pm
jamesh wrote:
Thanks for the check. (I already knew it though.) The issue tracker has many PXE reports already. However, none of them are of "general instability", which of course is problematic to describe and reproduce... The thing is PXE can work OK in a local lab test setup. But for a real world production environment it's simply not stable enough. I think Gordon knows about it, but has no resources for fixing it.
Would it be possible for bootcode.bin to load a second-stage ARM-based PXE boot loader that could then be open source? I thought some people even have proof-of-concept implementations of grub2 working.

ShiftPlusOne
Location: The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:13 pm

I haven't done it myself, but uboot should work. There are also tianocore uefi builds.

If having an sd card with the firmware and a custom bootloader is an option, then there should be no shortage of open source options for netbooting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNL1pd-rwCU

rln

Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:45 pm

ejolson wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:41 pm
Would it be possible for bootcode.bin to load a second-stage ARM-based PXE boot loader that could then be open source?
Possibly. But it's a lot of job for a workaround. Also remember one need a Pi specific USB driver.

Gavinmc42

Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:13 am

Re Netbooting.
Interim step until bugs get fixed, add a Ultibo kernel loader?
When I first heard about it I tested an Ultibo Pi webserving the kernel.img to another Pi.
https://ultibo.org/forum/viewtopic.php? ... erver#p367

The kernel.img itself would not be much bigger than the current start_x.elf, 3-4MB?
Some guys use this as development switching between Raspbian and Ultibo kernels.
But it is not SSH yet, some crypto is working, so it maybe soon?
I'm dancing on Rainbows.
Raspberries are not Apples or Oranges

Return to “General discussion”