BilloirR

Is the dual-band wifi integrated chipset able to connect and enable HotSpot at the same time?

Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:24 pm

Hi.

I'm attempting to create a project wich need to enable a hotspot to connect multiple devices on my RPi throught the 5Ghz wifi band band, at the same time connect the RPi to internet to manage an auto-update system throught the 2,4Ghz wifi band.

I don't want to use the ethernet port, because the final project is more like a smart speakers and i don't want to install it next to my box.

Neither the Bluetooth because of the slow speed limit.

In the RPi 3 and Zero W specifcations, i can read the Wifi is Dual-band, but my friend Google said to me only the 2,4Ghz is active?

What's the reallity? Will i need to connect a wifi dongle to do exactly what i want?

I've already think to an alternative: launch the update manually and automatically do the followings steps: disable the HotSpot, connect to the internet, update, disconnect, enable the hotspot.

But if the update screw up and finally never disconnect and re-enable the hotspot, i'll be forced to connect throught ethernet to re-configure the wifi setup.

Edit : After long search, i found this Docker wich seems tout do the job. Has someone ever tried it?

Thanks for help and excuse me for my poor English ;)

epoch1970

Re: Is the dual-band wifi integrated chipset able to connect and enable HotSpot at the same time?

Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:58 pm

I don’t know 3b+ but on 3b at least you can consider STA+AP mode does not work
It is not advertised as a product feature and indeed getting it to run is so constrained you can consider it is not available.

Dual radio is not available either. Use 2.4 or 5GHz, not both at the same time.

Good luck with that container (or any other “solution”). Don’t miss to check the project on GitHub.

For your consideration, this is a complete (AFAIK) walkthrough for a STA+AP setup on a systemd-based OS like Raspbian.
Admire it, and then go buy an USB adapter. Besides, that will also give you dual radio.
"S'il n'y a pas de solution, c'est qu'il n'y a pas de problème." Les Shadoks, J. Rouxel

Return to “Networking and servers”