hystrix

Pi3B+ WiFi keeps dropping every ~10 seconds

Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:47 pm

The WiFi on my Pi3B+ has started dropping out approximately every 10 seconds, for about 10 seconds. After 3 or 4 drop-outs, the WiFi stays dropped-out for about 40 seconds, and then comes back. It's extremely annoying.

I am running the latest version of Stretch: v4.14.98+

There is nothing plugged onto the GPIO, and the power supply is an official Raspberry Pi one. There is nothing plugged into any USB port.

If I take out the SD card and put it in a PiZeroW, the WiFi on this device is stable.

If I use an alternative SD card in the Pi3B+ (with the latest Raspbian version), I still have the WiFi issue.

I have tried a second, official, Raspberry Pi power supply, and the issue remains.

It seems to be a hardware issue with the Pi3B+. Is there any further troubleshooting I need to do to confirm the cause of this issue?

Many thanks.

Andyroo

Re: Pi3B+ WiFi keeps dropping every ~10 seconds

Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:11 pm

Have you tried it with the latest version direct from this site or did you run the update/upgrade after starting the Pi?

Are you close to the router / AP ?

I was helping a gent from the US a few weeks ago with a WiFi issue - viewtopic.php?f=36&t=234058 it may be worth looking through that to see how similar it is (though times are different).

edited to show link and ask another question :o

hystrix

Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:40 pm

The Raspbian version was downloaded from this site. I did an update/upgrade to see if that would fix the problem (it didn't).

The Pi is 2 metres from my router. I have other Pi's connected via WiFi that are 12 metres or more from my router without any issue. And a PiZeroW at the same distance (2m) with the very same SD card does not have a WiFi issue.

Unfortunately, the Pi3B+ is about to start its journey to the 'small electricals' section of the local recycling centre. :(

pcmanbob

Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:47 pm

With this kind of problem, I always suggest you power off the pi the router and any other devices connected to it.

Then after 60 seconds or so power the router and allow it to complete it's start up cycle, then try powering you pi and see if it will remain connected.
We want information… information… information........................no information no help
The use of crystal balls & mind reading are not supported

Andyroo

Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:35 pm

hystrix wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:40 pm
The Raspbian version was downloaded from this site. I did an update/upgrade to see if that would fix the problem (it didn't).

The Pi is 2 metres from my router. I have other Pi's connected via WiFi that are 12 metres or more from my router without any issue. And a PiZeroW at the same distance (2m) with the very same SD card does not have a WiFi issue.

Unfortunately, the Pi3B+ is about to start its journey to the 'small electricals' section of the local recycling centre. :(
Do not do that - you can get a USB adapter for less than a new Pi (sorry Foundations funds) and use less planetary resources :D

You could also just use the Ethernet into the back of the router...

hystrix

Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:04 pm

The Pi is 2m from my router for troubleshooting purposes. Its final location will be 10m to 15m away, and Ethernet cable is not an option.

I tried a 5V 2A power supply (not Raspberry Pi official) and still had the issue.

Tomorrow I will power cycle my router and see what happens.

DougieLawson

Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:55 am

Try sudo apt update; sudo install wpasupplicant wireless-regdb; sudo reboot
Note: Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

I'll do your homework for you for a suitable fee.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
All non-medical doctors are on my foes list.

k-pi

Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:50 am

I didn't notice if you were trying to use 5G, but when I tried, it would do much the same as you are getting, so I just use 2G, & everything is fine. 8-)

davidcoton

Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:50 pm

k-pi wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:50 am
I didn't notice if you were trying to use 5G, but when I tried, it would do much the same as you are getting, so I just use 2G, & everything is fine. 8-)
5G and 2G are mobile phone technologies, not relevant to WiFi networking.

If you meant to refer to the two main WiFi frequency bands, these are 5GHz and 2.4GHz.

Please do not let your confusion about the correct abbreviations escape on to this forum and infect other people. :lol: :roll:
Signature retired

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:57 pm

It does sound hardwary as you have tried all the standard procedures for fixing up stuff, so I would suggest just getting a cheap wireless dongle for wireless connectivity. Any of the nano dongles should work fine, and they are stupidly cheap.

That said, what sort of error messages are reporting using `dmesg`?
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“My wife said to me `...you’re not even listening`.
I thought, that’s an odd way to start a conversation.."

grynnan

Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:27 pm

Exactly the same problem. 2.4GHz randomly disconnect on my 3B+. Works fine on my Pi3.
5GHz doesn't even connect, the 5GHz ssid is listed though.

Latest Raspian, clean install. (+ update && upgrade)

Edit.

Temporary and annoying workaround. When booted to desktop, turn off wifi, and then turn it on again.
Although this only works for 2.4GHz. 5GHz still only shows ssids, but refuses to connect to them.
This issue is not just for one raspberry pi 3 b+. This problem is found on every RPi 3B+ we got, 5GHz just doesn't work, no matter what router, or OS on the Pi.
2.4GHz wifi is a flip a coin, some works flawlessly, other refuses, some has the dropout issue.

We have 20+ RPi3b+, and the fail rate and the oddities, has forced us to stop using RPi3+. (Going back to old RPi3, and thinkerboard etc. RPi3+ is just not an reliable product..)
Last edited by grynnan on Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

hystrix

Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:44 am

Fortunately, during a recent storm we had several power cuts during the night which power-cycled my router (BT Smart Hub). This seems to have fixed the problem - the last two times I have tried the Pi, WiFi has been stable.

It's odd that just one Pi was affected, since two others which are on 24/7 and connected via WiFi had no problems at all.

Thanks for all the suggestions to help resolve this issue.

Return to “Troubleshooting”