code_exec

Unofficial Ubuntu 19.04 alpha image for the Raspberry Pi 3 now available

Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:33 pm

An unofficial Ubuntu 19.04 alpha image is available for testing on the Raspberry Pi 3. This image uses the generic arm64 kernel which is booted through GRUB2. It works on all Pi 3 models, as well as the Pi 2 v1.2 (which uses the same SoC as the 3B). The default username is 'ubuntu', default password is 'ubuntu'.

Download the image from here: https://1drv.ms/u/s!Asov5XVfbr4hm1Vh8YBTTey5r8rD

On first boot, GRUB2 will fail to boot Ubuntu because a partition is supposedly missing (even though this partition actually exists). To fix this, enter 'c' to drop to the GRUB2 command prompt, and enter 'reboot'. Once rebooted, you should be able to boot Ubuntu without issue.

This image is configured to be booted from a microSD card. To boot from a USB storage device instead, flash the image to the USB storage device but do not plug it into the Pi immediately. Edit the /etc/fstab of the root partition of your USB storage device and replace 'mmcblk0p' with 'sda'. Save the changes and then plug the USB storage device into the Pi and then boot.

To resize your root partition to make use of your entire microSD card or USB storage device, run:

Code: Select all

sudo fdisk /dev/mmcblk0
If booting from USB, run the following instead:

sudo fdisk /dev/sda
Delete the second partition (d, 2), recreate it using the defaults (n, 2, p, enter, enter)and then write the changes (w). Reboot your Pi and then run:

sudo resize2fs /dev/mmcblk0p2
If booting from USB, run the following instead:

sudo resize2fs /dev/sda2
Reboot and the entire of the microSD card or USB storage device should be available.

This is a minimal ubuntu-standard image. If you want a full desktop environment, go ahead and run one of the following commands:

sudo apt install lubuntu-desktop
sudo apt install xubuntu-desktop
sudo apt install kubuntu-desktop
If you want only the 'core' of one of the desktop environments without the recommended software (such as Firefox), then add '--no-install-recommends' to the end of one of the above commands. For example, to install a minimal Lubuntu desktop, run:

sudo apt install lubuntu-desktop --no-install-recommends
Enjoy!
Ubuntu 18.04 LTS desktop images for the Raspberry Pi 3.

https://github.com/CodeExecution/Ubuntu-ARM64-RPi

code_exec

Re: Unofficial Ubuntu 19.04 alpha image for the Raspberry Pi 3 now available

Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:37 pm

bump

gilius

Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:24 pm

I am going to test this on my B+, and I hope that having a generic kernel means it has KVM enabled...

gilius

Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:56 pm

Ethernet not working, which is a shame, as it has KVM on there!

feelslikeautumn

Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:18 am

I think that is probably due to how code exec built the image https://github.com/CodeExecution/Ubuntu ... i/issues/5

Things have moved on anyway since January. WiFi firmware is now included by default and a problem with CMA/vc4 should now be fixed.

You can install from the official daily generic ISOs https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ARM/RaspberryPi ... ISO_images

gilius

Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:07 pm

I think that is probably due to how code exec built the image https://github.com/CodeExecution/Ubuntu ... i/issues/5
Meaning the only fix is to recompile the kernel? Does anyone have a step-by-step guide for non-developers?
Things have moved on anyway since January. WiFi firmware is now included by default and a problem with CMA/vc4 should now be fixed.
What evidence is there of this progress you speak of? The OneDrive folder that code_exec posted still has the image from January, and there was no Wifi detected in that build.
You can install from the official daily generic ISOs https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ARM/RaspberryPi ... ISO_images
That guide is almost impossible to follow unless one is a developer, otherwise it would need to be way more detailed for the average person to be able to create the disk. And I bet the Ethernet drivers still won't work for the B+, as nothing ever seems to work in Linux.

If we could change from raspi2 kernel to generic kernel in all the other Ubuntu ports then we would have a Ubuntu distro worth keeping, but of course nothing ever works. apt-get install linux-image-X.X.X-X-generic only exists in people's imagination!

Who can actually provide a practical solution and give us a proper vanilla Ubuntu for the B+ instead of some crappy port that doesn't even find half the apps I need?

code_exec

Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:39 pm

Might as well rebuild the image at this point.

feelslikeautumn

Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:40 pm

gilius wrote:
Meaning the only fix is to recompile the kernel?
No. Meaning I think it is a problem with how code_exec is building images like I said. I gave you a link with a fix at the bottom of the page. Have you tried that?
What evidence is there of this progress you speak of? The OneDrive folder that code_exec posted still has the image from January, and there was no Wifi detected in that build.
code_exec has nothing to do with packaging or building official images. Wifi nvram config (the previously missing bit) has been upstreamed and is now included in the Linux-firmware package. The kernel config has changed regarding cma in 19.04. Obviously both improvements are not captured by an image pre dating those changes.
That guide is almost impossible to follow unless one is a developer, otherwise it would need to be way more detailed for the average person to be able to create the disk.
I'm getting pretty tired of reading things like this. I wrote those instructions and have repeatedly said I'm happy to change/expand on something if it helps. Nobody, not one person has come forward.

I obviously don't agree that they can only be followed by a 'developer'. They're targeted at an average ubuntu user who has previously gone through an install procedure on another architecture. All the necessary commands are given. The Debian-installer has masses of documentation you can look up.

They are not targeted at a beginner because there is no point in a beginner using arm64. KVM is pretty advanced stuff btw.
And I bet the Ethernet drivers still won't work for the B+, as nothing ever seems to work in Linux.
Linux can be frustrating at times, its the nature of the beast. You are doing something out of the ordinary, it's bound to be a bit bumpy.
If we could change from raspi2 kernel to generic kernel in all the other Ubuntu ports then we would have a Ubuntu distro worth keeping, but of course nothing ever works. apt-get install linux-image-X.X.X-X-generic only exists in people's imagination!
It is perfectly possible to take the official arm64 raspi2 image and install the generic kernel and grub2.
Who can actually provide a practical solution and give us a proper vanilla Ubuntu for the B+ instead of some crappy port that doesn't even find half the apps I need?
I built 18.04 xubuntu images about a year ago that work on the 2/3/3B+. Hard to tell how many people have used them, over 2000 I would guess. Not had any complaints about installing apps.

Do you really think describing somebody's work as 'crappy' helps?

code_exec

Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:47 pm

I've setup the base Ubuntu system and am now installing the generic kernel (4.19.13) and ubuntu-standard. A few changes will be made in this image compared to the last image:

[*]Instead of a predefined username and password, oem-config will load on boot instead, allowing you to setup your system.
[*]The VC4 kernel module will no longer be blacklisted as the CMA issue appears to be fixed now.
[*]Image will be refreshed every week.

One known issue is that if flash-kernel detects a Raspberry Pi, it will attempt to copy the vmlinuz and initrd files to /boot/firmware and therefore fail. To solve the issue, I edited the flash-kernel database to copy the vmlinuz and initrd files to /boot instead so that GRUB2 can boot them.

I wonder if the generic kernel should be preferred over the linux-raspi2 kernel. The linux-raspi2 kernel has more optimisations for the Pi, but the generic kernel has KVM support. It is almost definitely possible to install the generic kernel and GRUB2 on the arm64 Pi 3 server image and use that instead of linux-raspi2, but it requires manual intervention. I'll try it later on my Ubuntu Server 18.04 installation on my Pi 3B.

code_exec

Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:54 pm

gilius wrote:
It's only in alpha. The generic kernel clearly wasn't designed to be used on the Raspberry Pi, otherwise Canonical would probably have used it in the arm64 server image. You can install the generic kernel and GRUB2 over the linux-raspi2 kernel in the Ubuntu Server image, although it takes a number of steps. You can also install from one of the generic arm64 ISOs if you'd like.

gilius

Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:02 pm

No. Meaning I think it is a problem with how code_exec is building images like I said. I gave you a link with a fix at the bottom of the page. Have you tried that?
You haven't provided any fix - just a "generic" link that raises more questions than answers. In the Windows world it's very simple; we have something called Ethernet drivers and we simply install them via Device Manager and an INI file. What the hell are we meant to try on Linux!? You've always talked in riddles ever since I joined this forum.
I'm getting pretty tired of reading things like this. I wrote those instructions and have repeatedly said I'm happy to change/expand on something if it helps. Nobody, not one person has come forward.
So you really think I can the take the vanilla ubuntu-18.04-server-arm64.iso and end up with a working install that boots on the Pi3B+ with a generic kernel and working ethernet by simply following that guide? If you really believe that and are confident in your position then I will happily be the person to step forward. What's the worst that can happen? I waste another whole weekend trying to get Ubuntu to work properly on the B+.
It is perfectly possible to take the official arm64 raspi2 image and install the generic kernel and grub2.
I would gladly pay for front row tickets just to witness such a feat! And by streaming it on YouTube I would easily get my money back.
I built 18.04 xubuntu images about a year ago that work on the 2/3/3B+. Hard to tell how many people have used them, over 2000 I would guess. Not had any complaints about installing apps.

Do you really think describing somebody's work as 'crappy' helps?
That was a bit unfair of me, as I've since identified the root cause of not being able to find the apps: archive.ubuntu.com vs. ports.ubuntu.com (ring a bell?), so I would instead point the finger at whoever maintains the ARM64 branch of Ubuntu at the root level. What I would really like to know is: which idiot was responsible for disabling KVM in the raspi2 kernel!?
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux-raspi2
That was way beyond "crappy"... whoever he is he needs to be shot!

gilius

Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:21 pm

code_exec wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:47 pm
I've setup the base Ubuntu system and am now installing the generic kernel (4.19.13) and ubuntu-standard. A few changes will be made in this image compared to the last image:

[*]Instead of a predefined username and password, oem-config will load on boot instead, allowing you to setup your system.
[*]The VC4 kernel module will no longer be blacklisted as the CMA issue appears to be fixed now.
[*]Image will be refreshed every week.

One known issue is that if flash-kernel detects a Raspberry Pi, it will attempt to copy the vmlinuz and initrd files to /boot/firmware and therefore fail. To solve the issue, I edited the flash-kernel database to copy the vmlinuz and initrd files to /boot instead so that GRUB2 can boot them.

I wonder if the generic kernel should be preferred over the linux-raspi2 kernel. The linux-raspi2 kernel has more optimisations for the Pi, but the generic kernel has KVM support. It is almost definitely possible to install the generic kernel and GRUB2 on the arm64 Pi 3 server image and use that instead of linux-raspi2, but it requires manual intervention. I'll try it later on my Ubuntu Server 18.04 installation on my Pi 3B.
Thanks! Your efforts are appreciated believe it or not. I am currently trying your other guide to enable KVM, but the context was not clear. Nevertheless, so far all the commands have worked without error and I'm just waiting for the kernel to finish compiling, as you forgot to mention that we need to start the process on a different machine besides the Pi. However, I am very sceptical that the last 2 steps are going to work:

sudo cp arch/arm64/boot/Image /mnt/boot/kernel8.img
sudo make ARCH=arm64 CROSS_COMPILE=aarch64-linux-gnu INSTALL_MOD_PATH=/mnt modules_install
I really can't see this working, but let's wait and see if Jesus returns for the 2nd coming.

Since KVM is disabled in the raspi2 kernel I don't think it can be trusted. And the reputation of pi ports of Ubuntu compared to the vanilla Server install is "crappy" to say the least - but I think it all boils down to the change of kernel as being responsible for this notoriety! And I was actually naive enough to think all Ubuntu distros were created equally - never guessed in a million years that KVM could be hidden in a single Enterprise-level build that was secretly championed in other circles over the inferior street copies we get in the Pi world.

feelslikeautumn

Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:07 pm

gilius wrote:
So you really think I can the take the vanilla ubuntu-18.04-server-arm64.iso and end up with a working install that boots on the Pi3B+ with a generic kernel and working ethernet by simply following that guide? If you really believe that and are confident in your position then I will happily be the person to step forward. What's the worst that can happen? I waste another whole weekend trying to get Ubuntu to work properly on the B+.
No because the 18.04 kernel was frozen **before** the 3B+ was released. The clue is in no dtb file for the 3B+. This doesn't mean it is impossible, but there are obviously extra steps that I'm not going to go into now.

What you can do is install 18.10, use the 18.04 hwe generic kernel (there is a mini iso which uses this) or use the daily installers for 19.04. People have to use common sense. It's the same with any machine; it's probably not going to work well on an old release of linux (or one that was released only a couple of weeks after the machine).

The linux-raspi2 kernel backported support for the 3B+ which is why it is recommend for use.

feelslikeautumn

Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:13 pm

gilius wrote:
That was a bit unfair of me, as I've since identified the root cause of not being able to find the apps: archive.ubuntu.com vs. ports.ubuntu.com (ring a bell?)
Not really. No official arm64 image/installer uses archive.ubuntu.com.

code_exec

Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:18 pm

gilius wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:21 pm
I am currently trying your other guide to enable KVM
That guide doesn't apply to Ubuntu images using the linux-raspi2 kernel or the generic arm64 kernel. It only applies to ARM64 Linux distros using the RPF kernel.

code_exec

Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:20 pm

gilius wrote:
That was a bit unfair of me, as I've since identified the root cause of not being able to find the apps: archive.ubuntu.com vs. ports.ubuntu.com (ring a bell?)
archive.ubuntu.com is the repository for x86 Ubuntu packages. ports.ubuntu.com is the repository for non-x86 Ubuntu packages.

code_exec

Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:28 pm

gilius wrote:
Yes, it would work. I recommend using 18.10 or 19.04 however, as the generic kernels used in these versions have better support for the 3B+.
gilius wrote:
That was a bit unfair of me, as I've since identified the root cause of not being able to find the apps: archive.ubuntu.com vs. ports.ubuntu.com (ring a bell?), so I would instead point the finger at whoever maintains the ARM64 branch of Ubuntu at the root level.
archive.ubuntu.com contains x86 packages, ports.ubuntu.com contains non-x86 packages. Not everything is available for non-x86 architectures.
gilius wrote:
What I would really like to know is: which idiot was responsible for disabling KVM in the raspi2 kernel!?
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux-raspi2
That was way beyond "crappy"... whoever he is he needs to be shot!
Whoever disabled KVM probably had a good reason to do so. As far as I know, KVM is still fairly buggy under ARM64, not to mention that the Pi 3 only has 1GB RAM, meaning that there will be operating systems that will struggle to run at all under KVM because they require more RAM than what can be allocated.

Calling someone an idiot and saying that they deserve to be shot is an immature way to go about it. If you went on Launchpad, reported KVM being disabled as a bug, and said that then you would receive little respect back from the package maintainers.

code_exec

Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:59 pm

Welp, I guess oem-config didn't work (simply said that it failed to start the OEM installer). I guess I have to go back to a predefined user account.

flanylla

Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:34 pm

Anyone tested HDMI audio on the 3b+?
Jamie Dignam | flanylla

gilius

Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:38 pm

I finally found out why I couldn't install some apps. Firstly, I didn't know there was a directory of packages on the Ubuntu website; the app happens to be missing for cosmic and disco. That then led me to this:
https://askubuntu.com/questions/1089753 ... ssue-18-10

code_exe, regarding your "Enabling KVM" tutorial, the last line seems to have failed?

sudo make ARCH=arm64 CROSS_COMPILE=aarch64-linux-gnu INSTALL_MOD_PATH=/mnt modules_install
IMG_20190303_175915.jpg
IMG_20190303_175915.jpg (87.46 KiB) Viewed 3638 times
EDIT: I think I forgot to run through the initial OS setup on the target system in case that might have caused the above to fail

DD also seems to have crashed the system, as I need to get this back onto a memory card before I can test because USB boot is not working on the B+ if you can recall despite editing the cmdline.txt with root=LABEL=writable.
Last edited by gilius on Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

feelslikeautumn

Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:11 pm

feelslikeautumn wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:07 pm
No because the 18.04 kernel was frozen **before** the 3B+ was released. The clue is in no dtb file for the 3B+. This doesn't mean it is impossible, but there are obviously extra steps that I'm not going to go into now.
Correcting myself ubuntu-18.04.2-server-arm64.iso contains the standard (GA) and hwe kernels so you just have to select the one you want at the grub2 bootloader. So it is certainly possible to install this on the 3B+.

You presumably have uboot from code_exec's image. I really don't understand what the problem is.

feelslikeautumn

Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:53 pm

code_exec wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:54 pm
You can install the generic kernel and GRUB2 over the linux-raspi2 kernel in the Ubuntu Server image, although it takes a number of steps.
You shouldn't need to install grub2 to use the generic kernel. I think u-boot as found on the raspi3 server images should be enough, although I don't think I've tried it. All you would have to do is override the flash-kernel database so that it finds the correct dtb file (generic kernel dtbs are named differently). Flash kernel could rename this to what the pi bootloader expects, or you could add a line in config.txt to the generic dtb name.

Then just install the generic/generic-hwe kernel meta package. Flash-kernel should copy everything across. Reboot, jobs a good'un.

* note this would only work in arm64. generic-lpae is unbootable on the pi in ubuntu *

feelslikeautumn

Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:55 pm

flanylla wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:34 pm
Anyone tested HDMI audio on the 3b+?
What are you running? generic or raspi2 kernel? If the latter, you probably need a line in your config.txt

code_exec

Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:10 pm

feelslikeautumn wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:53 pm

* note this would only work in arm64. generic-lpae is unbootable on the pi in ubuntu *
What about generic (non-lpae)?

Return to “Other”