blueagent

pi3B+ flashing red & green led lights, not displaying anything on T.V

Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:22 pm

new raspberry pi 3 mobel b+

- first startup only see a static red light (non blinking)
- then constant flashing of green light
- goes back to static red light again
- turns off by itself

while it was turned on, my tv couldn't even get an hdmi signal from the thing

power supply is Genuine Sony EP880 usb charger (5V DC 1500ma) with sony usb cable.

my sd card is using the distro: "retropie-4.4-rpi2_rpi3.img"
the distro was successfully written to the sd card using win32disk imager

thanks for the help!
Last edited by blueagent on Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

drgeoff

Re: pi3B+ flashing red & green led lights, not booting

Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:30 pm

Read the "not booting" sticky post.

B.Goode

Re: pi3B+ flashing red & green led lights, not displaying anything on T.V

Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:09 pm

power supply is Genuine Sony EP880 usb charger (5V DC 1500ma) with sony usb cable.
No criticism intended of your Sony Charger which is probably perfectly good at the task for which it was designed.

But it is almost certainly the source of your problem.

From: https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/raspbe ... le-now-35/
Note that Raspberry Pi 3B+ does consume substantially more power than its predecessor. We strongly encourage you to use a high-quality 2.5A power supply, such as the official Raspberry Pi Universal Power Supply.

Also https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... /#pi-power

The quality of the cable that makes the final connection from the supply to the RPi is also a critical factor.

In summary: take the advice of the Raspberry Pi Foundation regarding their own products.

This advice is in addition to the similar content in this summary, referred to above: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 28&t=58151

blueagent

Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:10 pm

i went out and bought a better power supply from the computer mall, its a 5V 2400MA usb power supply with a certification from the government's electrical department, this is the best one i can buy.

anyways the raspberry pi is now powered on and has stayed powered on for 15 minutes straight without shutting down....the red light is constantly on, so that's a good sign that the power supply is probably sufficient.

but the red light is all i see, i don't see any green lights flashing on the raspberry pi at all.

and there's nothing on the TV screen. my tv is still not getting a signal from the raspberry pi

the sd card is listed as compatible, the hdmi cable is pulled from my android box. i've put the official raspbian image onto my raspberry pi. still nothing.

i've seen teenagers on youtube putting the retropi image on their sd card, then slotting it into the raspberri pi and then they turn it on and everything just works......i don't understand why its not working for me. i've troubleshooted my wintel pcs for decades since the windows98 days but i just can't figure this one out. i've finished reading the boot up guide and i'm abit tired now, so i'll try again tomorrow morning.

thanks for being so patient with me and helping me with this. i very much appreciate your generous help!

B.Goode

Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:34 pm

but the red light is all i see, i don't see any green lights flashing on the raspberry pi at all.

Everything that has been learnt by these forums about getting an RPi to boot is in the 'Sticky' post previously linked.

My suggestion is to stick with the Raspberry Pi Foundation recommended and supported Raspbian Stretch Operating System until you are familiar with the boot up process. (There is a documented upgrade path to add RetroPi to a base Raspbian installation.)

The 'direct image' of Raspbian (via the Etcher utility) is probably the most straightforward and reliable installation method.

The card reader/writer slot in the workstation machine being used to prepare the microSD card needs to be at least SDHC-compatible.

blueagent

Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:59 pm

i've figured out what the problem is.

apparently the 0.9 version of "win32disk imager" does not flash SD cards properly, it is an absolutely non-functional, broken piece of software that simply did not do what it was supposed to do, and thus is the root cause of all the troubles i've been having.

my computer was running windows XP, so i had to use the 0.9 version of "win32disk imager" which is compatible with XP.

today, i started to have a sneaking suspicion that it was the flasher's fault, so, i hastily upgraded my PC to a 64bit version of windows 7 and installed
etcher and tried flashing the SD card again....and viola! as soon as i put my SD card into the raspberry pi, it boots up great, and everything works as it should.

a quick look at "win32disk imager"'s site reveals the following feedback by a fellow user:
pcpunk: Piece of sh#t! Don't even do what it is said to. It's not even a USB Image writer. Looks like a Hasher?
i had to wipe my entire C partition to install a 64bit version of windows 7 just to use etcher.
it took me a whole afternoon to have to backup all my data which i will now have to painstakingly restore due to "win32disk imager"
this has not been a pleasant experience. the developers of "win32disk imager" should've paid attendtion to feedback and fixed this long ago.

hippy

Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:34 pm

blueagent wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:59 pm
apparently the 0.9 version of "win32disk imager" does not flash SD cards properly, it is an absolutely non-functional, broken piece of software that simply did not do what it was supposed to do, and thus is the root cause of all the troubles i've been having.

my computer was running windows XP, so i had to use the 0.9 version of "win32disk imager" which is compatible with XP.
Version 0.9.5 of "win32disk imager" has always worked fine for me on XP Pro SP3, but that's not evidence it will be fine for everything and maybe it doesn't handle the .img you have or the hardware being used to write the image.

You haven't described the process used to rectify things entirely; if you were trying to boot the same card with the new PSU it could have been corrupted when using the old PSU, a new burn and using the new PSU resolving the problem. It could have been post-boot corruption rather than "win32disk imager" not working.

But, whatever, that doesn't really matter now you have everything working. Etcher does seem to be a better solution than "win32disk imager" and that's what I would now recommend.

pcmanbob

Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:38 pm

Well I have been using win32 disk imager since I got my first pi 1B way back in 2012.

I first used it on windows XP without any problems , I do know that there was a point were they stopped supporting windows XP but I can't remember if it was version 9.0 or 9.5 when that happened, I stuck with version 8 on my XP PC

I still use it today on a windows 7 64bit PC because it enables you to not only right to SD cards but read from them and create img files, now at version 1.0.0 were it has been for some time.

Not forgetting of course the you first need to unzip the image file when using win32 disk imager, best done using 7-zip as windows built in version may not handle the the zipped file un-pack correctly.
We want information… information… information........................no information no help
The use of crystal balls & mind reading are not supported

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:03 pm

Don't use win-disk-imager, its obsolete for this task, don't be stubborn, and simply use Etcher, like we told you to do.
You can download Etcher here, its free, and runs on windows, (on older versions too) MacOS and Linux, (various 32-/64-bit versions available).
When using Etcher, you don't need an unzipper, its built in, and you don't need to format your SD-Card.

pcmanbob

Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:23 pm

mahjongg wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:03 pm
Don't use win-disk-imager, its obsolete for this task, don't be stubborn, and simply use Etcher, like we told you to do.
You can download Etcher here, its free, and runs on windows, (on older versions too) MacOS and Linux, (various 32-/64-bit versions available).
When using Etcher, you don't need an unzipper, its built in, and you don't need to format your SD-Card.
Etcher does not support windows XP any longer so you would have to find an old out of date copy ( version 1.0 I think ), you would also need an older copy of win32 disk imager ( version 8 ) to run on windows XP, so you would be no better off no matter which you use both are out of date on windows XP.
We want information… information… information........................no information no help
The use of crystal balls & mind reading are not supported

hippy

Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:03 pm

pcmanbob wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:23 pm
Etcher does not support windows XP any longer so you would have to find an old out of date copy ( version 1.0 I think )
Etcher did not work on XP when I tried versions which were supposedly meant to, and I also had problems using early versions with Windows 7. Etcher has improved considerably and is much better now but those old versions won't have such improvements included.

"win32disk imager" may be considered obsolete, but, as stated, it has always worked fine for me on XP Pro SP3. It is what the Foundation were recommending before Etcher arrived, and is the best option I have found for hardware which won't support anything above XP.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:16 am

okay then, you have to row with the oars you have (well know Dutch saying). :mrgreen:

HawaiianPi

Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:21 am

Etcher also verifies the SD card. Win32diskimager does no data checking or verification at all, so a bad write won't produce an error. In theory you could have a bad write that still boots up fine, only to run into problems later that you won't associate with creating the card. This uncertainty is why you should not use Win32diskimager for writing cards, and definitely should never use it for backups!

And seriously, who still uses Windows XP :shock: ! That OS was horrible when it was current and supported (it's the OS that chased me away from MS and into Linux). It's now not only horrible, but also a serious security risk. Time to move on to a better OS.

Try Linux Mint, or Debian with the Raspberry Pi Desktop, or one of the many (MANY) other flavors of Linux out there. It will run better on old hardware than MicroSlow XP ever did, and be more secure as well.
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

Return to “Troubleshooting”