KlingKlang

Large slice of PI

Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:51 pm

Good Afternoon All ,

So i have a meeting with our SLT in my primary school on Friday re ict budget. We have 20 dell win 7 machines which i really want to replace OR use as secondary and use Raspberry PI machines and Microbits,

My concern , is durability , MS Office apps etc and other windows based apps if we remove the old pc's out of the equation. We have 60 ipads in school which do get used but i really want to move the school forward and into more physical computing.

I know i will get hit with questions re the practicality of everyday use and no doubt there will be that teacher who cant get to grips with the operating system .
So im looking for advice or experience of primary schools experience in moving over from traditional windows pc's

We have a file server which collects childrens saved work etc so saving work wont be stored on the Pi mchines.

Thanks for looking

Gary
It's more fun to compute

fruitoftheloom

Re: Large slice of PI

Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:13 pm

KlingKlang wrote:
Good Afternoon All ,

So i have a meeting with our SLT in my primary school on Friday re ict budget. We have 20 dell win 7 machines which i really want to replace OR use as secondary and use Raspberry PI machines and Microbits,

My concern , is durability , MS Office apps etc and other windows based apps if we remove the old pc's out of the equation. We have 60 ipads in school which do get used but i really want to move the school forward and into more physical computing.

I know i will get hit with questions re the practicality of everyday use and no doubt there will be that teacher who cant get to grips with the operating system .
So im looking for advice or experience of primary schools experience in moving over from traditional windows pc's

We have a file server which collects childrens saved work etc so saving work wont be stored on the Pi mchines.

Thanks for looking

Gary

Why not replace Windows 7 with Debian Stretch Linux ?

https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/r ... i-desktop/

The Raspberry Pi Foundation offer a "Debian Stretch with Raspberry Pi Desktop" Operating System for x86 machines.

It is not the same as "Raspbian Stretch with Desktop" Operating System running on a Raspberry Pi SBC, though it has a similar look / feel / software, though missing some software which is specific to Raspbian Stretch with Desktop.
adieu

My other Computer is an Asus CS10 ChromeBit running Chrome Operating System.
HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer supported by HPLIP software in Raspbian Buster.
Raspberry Pi Model 2B v1.1

rpdom

Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:26 pm

KlingKlang wrote:
My concern , is durability , MS Office apps etc and other windows based apps if we remove the old pc's out of the equation.
Windows apps will not run under Raspbian Linux on the Pi. There are versions of some apps that are multi-platform, so are available, like the Chrome and Firefox browsers. There are also apps like Libre Office, which have the same functionality as MS Office apps and can be mostly compatible with the file formats. But if you're expecting to be able to run exactly the same as Windows, no chance.

Personally, I prefer Linux and the huge range of software available. I rarely touch Windows now and haven't had any devices that run it for around 15 years. But that's just my personal preference. I'm not going to try and "sell" you Linux ;)

fruitoftheloom

Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:35 pm

rpdom wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:26 pm
KlingKlang wrote:
My concern , is durability , MS Office apps etc and other windows based apps if we remove the old pc's out of the equation.
Windows apps will not run under Raspbian Linux on the Pi. There are versions of some apps that are multi-platform, so are available, like the Chrome and Firefox browsers. There are also apps like Libre Office, which have the same functionality as MS Office apps and can be mostly compatible with the file formats. But if you're expecting to be able to run exactly the same as Windows, no chance.

Personally, I prefer Linux and the huge range of software available. I rarely touch Windows now and haven't had any devices that run it for around 15 years. But that's just my personal preference. I'm not going to try and "sell" you Linux ;)

If one has a Microsoft Account basic Office Apps can be run in a Web Browser, also iPad's iOS has Office Suite:

https://products.office.com/en-gb/mobil ... ps-for-ios

Though I also rarely use Windows myself as have gone over to Linux ( Chrome OS, Android and Xubuntu )

LibreOffice is very good Office Suite for Linux OS:

https://www.libreoffice.org
adieu

My other Computer is an Asus CS10 ChromeBit running Chrome Operating System.
HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer supported by HPLIP software in Raspbian Buster.
Raspberry Pi Model 2B v1.1

hippy

Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:29 pm

The most sensible thing to do would be to audit what you currently have and software used to see whether anything essential is Windows-only or otherwise cannot be done with a Pi.

Return to “Staffroom, classroom and projects”