d1a2v3i4d5
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:15 pm

Xscreensaver - install extra screensavers

Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:28 pm

Hi

In Xscreensaver, how do I install the screensavers listed as 'Not Installed'?

Thanks,

David

d1a2v3i4d5
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:15 pm

Re: Xscreensaver - install extra screensavers

Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:08 pm

Erm - no replies. :cry:

Does that mean the question is so stupid people are too embarrassed to be seen replying to it, or that I've inappropriately placed it in the Beginners Section of the Forum when it belongs elsewhere... or something else?

Yes, I know the above comment sounds very slightly abrasive, but I genuinely want to know how to install extra screensavers.

Anybody? :D

David

paulie
Posts: 275
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:51 pm

Re: Xscreensaver - install extra screensavers

Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:31 pm

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update
apt-cache search xscreensaver*
It has been my custom to use Xeyes

GaryCN
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:25 am

Re: Xscreensaver - install extra screensavers

Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:59 pm

To get the extra ones that may be greyed out this worked for me.
sudo apt-get install xscreensaver xscreensaver-data-extra xscreensaver-gl-extra

tmg10
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri May 04, 2018 1:17 pm

Re: Xscreensaver - install extra screensavers

Fri May 04, 2018 1:27 pm

GaryCN wrote:
Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:59 pm
To get the extra ones that may be greyed out this worked for me.
sudo apt-get install xscreensaver xscreensaver-data-extra xscreensaver-gl-extra
Super beginner here. Sorry for reactivating an old thread, but this post really helped me. I love all the amazing screensavers I successfully installed with these commands :) Thanks, GaryCN! Just wondering how you knew to type 'sudo apt-get install xscreensaver xscreensaver-data-extra xscreensaver-gl-extra'. Is there a good resource for Linux Terminal commands to help Pi beginners?

klricks
Posts: 7236
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:01 am
Location: Grants Pass, OR, USA
Contact: Website

Re: Xscreensaver - install extra screensavers

Fri May 04, 2018 5:22 pm

tmg10 wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 1:27 pm
GaryCN wrote:
Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:59 pm
To get the extra ones that may be greyed out this worked for me.
sudo apt-get install xscreensaver xscreensaver-data-extra xscreensaver-gl-extra
Super beginner here. Sorry for reactivating an old thread, but this post really helped me. I love all the amazing screensavers I successfully installed with these commands :) Thanks, GaryCN! Just wondering how you knew to type 'sudo apt-get install xscreensaver xscreensaver-data-extra xscreensaver-gl-extra'. Is there a good resource for Linux Terminal commands to help Pi beginners?
You can use a package manager such as the Add / Remove software application included with Raspbian.
Search for xscreensaver and you will see a list of other addons. I think there are several more in addition to the ones listed above.

I prefer to use the Synaptic package manager as it much more functional than the one provided in Raspbian.

Code: Select all

sudo apt update
sudo apt install synaptic
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated RPiOS Buster w/ Desktop OS.

Stephen M
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:50 am

Re: Xscreensaver - install extra screensavers

Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:50 am

sudo apt-get install xscreensaver*

That command will install all of the screensavers every time.

klricks
Posts: 7236
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:01 am
Location: Grants Pass, OR, USA
Contact: Website

Re: Xscreensaver - install extra screensavers

Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:58 pm

Stephen M wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:50 am
sudo apt-get install xscreensaver*

That command will install all of the screensavers every time.
No it does not...
It installs a pick-list but only the ones with a tick mark are actually installed. (About half the items in the list are not installed).
You have to install more packages to get the missing items.
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated RPiOS Buster w/ Desktop OS.

kinchel
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue May 14, 2019 7:58 pm

Re: Xscreensaver - install extra screensavers

Tue May 14, 2019 8:09 pm

GaryCN wrote:
Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:59 pm
To get the extra ones that may be greyed out this worked for me.
sudo apt-get install xscreensaver xscreensaver-data-extra xscreensaver-gl-extra
Thanks. This worked great for me.

bigmell
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Apr 24, 2020 4:49 pm

Re: Xscreensaver - install extra screensavers

Fri Apr 24, 2020 4:53 pm

ahoy,

Dont forget about rss-glx screensavers!

if you guys are running xscreensaver you need to add the rss-glx screensavers to your .xscreensaver file. In your home directory in the .xscreensaver file the rss-glx screensavers need to go in the list.

If you havent already install xscreensaver and rss-glx_install

sudo apt-get install xscreensaver xscreensaver-data-extra xscreensaver-gl-extra rss-glx xscreensaver-screensaver-webcollage

Then there is a script you have to run to manually add the rss-glx screensavers into the ~/.xscreensaver file. First kill the xscreensaver process if it is already running

killall xscreensaver

Then run the rss-glx install script. I dont think you have to be root because .xscreensaver is in your home directory. You should already have permissions there.

/usr/bin/rss-glx_install

Now open xscreensaver and the new screensavers should be installed and checked. Restart the daemon and you should be all set

xscreensaver-demo

I realize this is years old but I am sure many are still having this problem :)

Return to “Beginners”