sligata

SER2NET

Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:08 pm

Hi to All,
Whether there is an option to connect the computer to a remote device (by serial connection), using the Ethernet connection of two raspberry PI device?
ser2net2ser.png
ser2net2ser.png (17.37 KiB) Viewed 425 times

rln

Re: SER2NET

Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:48 pm

sligata wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:08 pm
using the Ethernet connection of two raspberry PI device?
There is no need for two devices. Using only the right Pi is sufficient, and let windows connect with IP to it. Possibly with the help of some "virtual" COM port driver.
Author of the robust Nard distro http://www.nard.se

packetloss

Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:21 am

You could technically do what you've asked, but if the "Windows PC" in your drawing has IP connectivity, then it would be more ideal to do what @rln mentioned and just Connect directly to the 2nd RaspberryPi running ser2net.

If for some reason it does not have IP connectivity, then yes, you could connect to the Raspberry Pi (pi-1) via serial cable (a UART serial cable directly, bluetooth via RFCOMM, etc) then have Pi-1 connect to Pi-2 via telnet (assuming ser2net is configured on Pi-2). You could also just SSH into pi-2 from pi-1 and use screen to attach directly to the serial port on pi-2 (I'm making the assumption that a USB to serial port adapter would be in use to connect to 'Device' at the far end). i.e. screen /dev/ttyUSB0 or picocom /dev/ttyUSB0

But if the Windows PC has IP connectivity and can reach Pi-2, then it makes more sense to interact directly with Pi-2 as @rln mentioned.

Shameless plug, for a project I recently posted to GitHub: https://github.com/Pack3tL0ss/ConsolePi It's related, as it's primary function is to act as a serial console server (using ser2net). More info in the post I'm about to make in this forum.

sligata

Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:59 am

I have special sw for remote device whic only works on windows and over serial interface.

klricks

Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:46 pm

sligata wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:59 am
I have special sw for remote device whic only works on windows and over serial interface.
As mentioned the 1st RPi on the left is not needed.

I have done this using a virtual com port driver (com0com) on the PC with Real Term.
Real Term is used to receive serial data from TCP port and redirect it to a virtual com port.
The Windows software is then configured to use the virtual port.

This can also be done without virtual com port driver if the windows PC has 2 physical com ports.
The 2 ports must be wired together. (pin 2 to 3 and pin 3 to 2)
Real Term is used to receive serial data from TCP port and redirect to the 1st physical com port.
The Windows software is configured to use the 2nd physical com port.
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated Raspbian Stretch w/ Desktop OS.

Return to “Networking and servers”