shantiiclear

Raspberry Pi as videoclips player

Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:40 pm

Hello,

I'm making theatrical project where I'm going to need a mask (which will be printed in 3D technology, probably). Instead of lips, it will have a space to attach a small screen that will visualise speaking (everything will be recorded before) and other things.
Size of the screen should be around 2''.

Will it be possible to copy/paste a clip in .mp4 format (or anything desired) into Raspberry Pi display screen?
Second thing, can Raspberry Pi work on, let's say, 2.2 inch screen? It is supposed to be attached in a mask a man will be wearing so it also shouldn't be too big.
Will Raspberry Pi fit my needs? I'm not into programming at all.

Will be really grateful for any answers.
Thank you in advance.

Kind regards.

Andyroo

Re: Raspberry Pi as videoclips player

Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:15 pm

With a bit of work it should be possible.

This video has an example https://youtu.be/06QqFrEPzuU with links to his blog below it.

Things to consider are power, size, comfort and safety I would think with a minor challenge of starting the correct video at the right time.

One kit I find very very spooky along these lines is https://www.adafruit.com/product/3356 :lol:
Need Pi spray - these things are breeding in my house...

shantiiclear

Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:04 pm

Hm, in this video you posted there is such low FPS.
But from other hand the second link, with these eyes, looks pretty cool.
I'm not into Raspberry Pi or anything related to IT/programming at all. Could you tell me more details about the specifications you metioned?
And what do you mean by ' a minor challenge of starting the correct video at the right time.' ?

I was thinking about adding the sound to the videoclip that I will play on Raspberry Pi. I heard it's possible to do by BT or Wi-Fi. The quality of sound doesn't have to be the best.

Andyroo

Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:23 pm

Apologies - I did not mean to put you off, just to show it’s possible.

If you prescale the video then you can get decent frame rates out of it https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-pit ... ing-videos

As for the other points -

If you are planning multiple videos to be shown you would need to be able to select them or say when they are to start. With no keypad attached it would have to be another person typing blind on a Bluetooth keyboard or a series of buttons / switches operated by the mask wearer.

Sound may be better out from the analogue port or add on amp - depends how load you need it and not an area I know off (none of mine even beep at the moment).

One other point is you need to be careful with the power - if you go for LIPO style batteries and have an accedental short they can go bang and will get very very very hot :cry:
Need Pi spray - these things are breeding in my house...

shantiiclear

Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:24 am

Andyroo wrote: One other point is you need to be careful with the power - if you go for LIPO style batteries and have an accedental short they can go bang and will get very very very hot :cry:
Woah, and now you scared me a little bit. How to prevent this happening?
It will play just one videoclip that lasts about 3 mins.

But looking at this video you posted and it looks like whole Raspberry Pi system isn't that small. Do you think it will be possible to attach it to a mask?

Do I even have any other alternatives? I just need a small screen that can play short videos from SD card or something...

Regards.

Return to “General discussion”