conosle

Would a Pi Zero be compatible with this tutorial?

Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:51 pm

I'm interested in going through this: https://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/projects/raspb ... orials/os/ but I'm not sure which Raspberry Pi to buy. At the start of the tutorial it says:
This course has not yet been updated to work with the Raspberry Pi models B+ and A+. Some elements may not work, in particular the first few lessons about the LED. It has also not been updated for Raspberry Pi v2.
Would this https://www.canakit.com/raspberry-pi-zero.html be compatible? Thanks for any info!

drgeoff

Re: Would a Pi Zero be compatible with this tutorial?

Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:23 pm

The 5 lessons that use the LEDs will probably not work without changes as the single LED on a Zero is not quite the same as the ACT and OK LEDs on the original RPis. The other lessons should be OK but no guarantees as I have not actually tried them.

wh7qq

Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:31 pm

The zero would probably work but from a very cursory look, the course appears to be pretty "bare metal". The registers on the zero should be pretty much the same as the "A" but you might find some problems...I don't know for sure. You could come back here and ask for some help with that if you encounter problems. You should realize that the "plain vanilla" zero in the listed Cana kits has no network connectivity included and you would need some kind of USB based wireless or ethernet dongle in addition to a USB based keyboard/mouse so you are going to need the dongle, the keyboard and mouse and a network device and all that will require a USB port expander. You might consider the zero "W" which has on-board wireless (https://www.canakit.com/raspberry-pi-zero-wireless.html), leaving the single USB port free for a combined keyboard/pointing device. At least and in either case, you will need their "Basic Kit" unless you already have a 5 volt power supply with OTG connector and the uSD card. Good Luck.

conosle

Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:41 pm

Thanks for the information guys. I'll get the wireless one and work around any differences with the LED.

rpdom

Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:08 am

wh7qq wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:31 pm
The registers on the zero should be pretty much the same as the "A"
Seeing as they use the same SoC, they should be identical. The main difference being the address of the ACT LED (I'm not even sure what it is on the Zero).

The tutorial is totally Bare Metal. An interesting introduction to ARM assembly and the basic architecture of the Pi. I did the first few projects on my original model B, then got distracted and started on some of my own stuff (which included a crude emulation of the BBC Micro MODE 7 display complete with flashing text and blinking cursor - interrupt driven). Wireless is well beyond the scope of the course.

DougieLawson

Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:45 am

Zeros don't have an act LED. They have a single combination power/act LED. There's probably some way to wiggle that LED from software, but I've never looked for it.
Note: Having anything remotely humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a hippy & doctor free zone.

rpdom

Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:53 am

DougieLawson wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:45 am
Zeros don't have an act LED. They have a single combination power/act LED. There's probably some way to wiggle that LED from software, but I've never looked for it.
It's not a power LED. More a "Ready" LED. Try powering on a Zero with no SD card. The LED will not light.

DougieLawson

Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:54 am

You can change behaviour with a config.txt overlay so looking at the source code for those may give a clue how the combination LED is driven.

I can't remember how it works out of the box as both of my zeros have an overlay in config.txt.
Note: Having anything remotely humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a hippy & doctor free zone.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:02 am

Its just the ACT LED, without is normally inverted nature.

Burngate

Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:55 am

I believe it's on GPIO 47, same as B+ & A+
The original A & B used GPIO 16 which now appears on header pin 36, so bare-metal-wise, a LED attached there may possibly blink

Return to “General discussion”