bonzaixx1

Stream music from home to work

Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:48 pm

My goal is to have a Pi with an external hard drive connected plugged into my router at home, and then I access it to play music from work (they blocked Spotify at work). I've looked up various ways of doing this such as Plex, Mopidy, Kodi, and Logitech Media Server. It's a little difficult determining which is best for my exact needs, which are:

- Safe access outside of my home network (password protection?)
- Free
- Allows at least one other person to access the server
- Able to play the music from phones (Android) or Windows desktops

I do not plan to connect speakers or headphones directly to the Pi to listen to the music at any time. I've found a lot of information on this type of thing but unfortunately almost all of it is for listening to music on a local network only.

fruitoftheloom

Re: Stream music from home to work

Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:55 pm

bonzaixx1 wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:48 pm
My goal is to have a Pi with an external hard drive connected plugged into my router at home, and then I access it to play music from work (they blocked Spotify at work). I've looked up various ways of doing this such as Plex, Mopidy, Kodi, and Logitech Media Server. It's a little difficult determining which is best for my exact needs, which are:

- Safe access outside of my home network (password protection?)
- Free
- Allows at least one other person to access the server
- Able to play the music from phones (Android) or Windows desktops

I do not plan to connect speakers or headphones directly to the Pi to listen to the music at any time. I've found a lot of information on this type of thing but unfortunately almost all of it is for listening to music on a local network only.

RealVNC Connect ? I have never tried RealVLC for music myself. Personally use GDrive / GPlayMusic

https://www.realvnc.com/en/raspberrypi/
Last edited by fruitoftheloom on Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Retired disgracefully.....
......to a more gentile life !

Brandon92

Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:56 pm

If I was you, I would ask the ICT appartment for this question. Because there are a couple of options you can do. But, is it safe to use it in the company's network. So, that you don't make a backdoor in that network.

You could also bring that HDD to work.

bonzaixx1

Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:02 pm

Brandon92 wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:56 pm
If I was you, I would ask the ICT appartment for this question. Because there are a couple of options you can do. But, is it safe to use it in the company's network. So, that you don't make a backdoor in that network.

You could also bring that HDD to work.
I'm not sure about the network safety angle. I might just end up bringing the HDD to work, I just wanted to find a use for my Pi and this seemed more useful since I could also access the music elsewhere or share it maybe.

epoch1970

Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:12 pm

Smells like a VPN, and adding a tunnel endpoint to a LAN is something the network admins should be asked about.
"S'il n'y a pas de solution, c'est qu'il n'y a pas de problème." Les Shadoks, J. Rouxel

Return to “Graphics, sound and multimedia”