beengone

Best setup for older Pi

Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:26 pm

I have a Model B v2 Rev 000e w/512MB RAM I'd like to set up as a media center and gaming box. I've done quite a bit of research and have some of it working, but am having trouble piecing together some details. Much of what I find for this older board is outdated and I don't think some of the newer tutorials are relevant, but I can't tell.

I've set up BerryBoot and have working installs of RetroPie and OpenElec. I think I have the RetroPie part under control for now, but if there's a better way to do all of this, I'm all ears. OpenElec seems to work and I have an external HDD I'm planning to put all my DVDs and CDs on I'm having trouble figuring out if I should transcode them or just buy the MPEG-2 CODEC. I'm reading conflicting reports on whether H.264 on these works with surround sound, and I'd like to keep surround. I think my CDs I can manage, but if there's anything I should be aware of, please let me know.

So, my main questions are:
- is my software setup the right one for this device?
- What is my best way to get my DVD content onto this HDD for playback? I don't care about menus and extra content. I do care about surround sound.
- Any other advice?

fruitoftheloom

Re: Best setup for older Pi

Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:06 pm

beengone wrote:
I have a Model B v2 Rev 000e w/512MB RAM I'd like to set up as a media center and gaming box. I've done quite a bit of research and have some of it working, but am having trouble piecing together some details. Much of what I find for this older board is outdated and I don't think some of the newer tutorials are relevant, but I can't tell.

I've set up BerryBoot and have working installs of RetroPie and OpenElec. I think I have the RetroPie part under control for now, but if there's a better way to do all of this, I'm all ears. OpenElec seems to work and I have an external HDD I'm planning to put all my DVDs and CDs on I'm having trouble figuring out if I should transcode them or just buy the MPEG-2 CODEC. I'm reading conflicting reports on whether H.264 on these works with surround sound, and I'd like to keep surround. I think my CDs I can manage, but if there's anything I should be aware of, please let me know.

- What is my best way to get my DVD content onto this HDD for playback? I don't care about menus and extra content. I do care about surround sound.
- Any other advice?

IMO you are over complicating using BerryBoot.

Retropie 4.4 being based of Raspbian Stretch Lite has the option to add Kodi and a Desktop if you so wish, also they have separate images for the RPi single core family:

https://retropie.org.uk/
adieu

My other Computer is an Asus CS10 ChromeBit running Chrome Operating System.
HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer supported by HPLIP software in Raspbian Buster.
Raspberry Pi Model 2B v1.1

beengone

Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:12 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:
beengone wrote:

- Any other advice?

Retropie 4.4 being based of Raspbian Stretch Lite has the option to add Kodi and a Desktop if you so wish, also they have separate images for the RPi single core family:

You're right. I maybe should have left that part out and may wish I didn't mess with it long-term. I do want some other OSes available that I didn't mention. HOwever, I may take your advice and start over as you said, then put anything else I need on another SD card. Chances are it won't get used since this will mostly be for a simple media/game center for the family. Good advice.

fruitoftheloom

Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:01 pm

beengone wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:12 pm
fruitoftheloom wrote:
beengone wrote:

- Any other advice?

You're right. I maybe should have left that part out and may wish I didn't mess with it long-term. I do want some other OSes available that I didn't mention. HOwever, I may take your advice and start over as you said, then put anything else I need on another SD card. Chances are it won't get used since this will mostly be for a simple media/game center for the family. Good advice.

OpenElec has been replaced by LibreElec:

https://kodi.wiki/view/Archive:OpenELEC

Just a thought, Kodi 18 will include a RetroGame add-on, presently it is in Release Candidate status:

https://kodi.wiki/view/Games

https://libreelec.tv/2018/12/libreelec- ... 95-1-beta/
adieu

My other Computer is an Asus CS10 ChromeBit running Chrome Operating System.
HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer supported by HPLIP software in Raspbian Buster.
Raspberry Pi Model 2B v1.1

Return to “Media centres”