Comrade

Forgot to apply thermal stuff to heat sinks :(

Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:36 am

Hello there,
I am pretty new to the Raspberry Pi. When I was setting up my Raspberry Pi 3 I forgot to add the thermal stuff that came with it. Is it important? If so, how can I remove the heat sinks, apply the thermal compound, and put them back on?

Thanks,
Comrade

rhubarbdog

Re: Forgot to apply thermal stuff to heat sinks :(

Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:05 am

Try a volatile solvent like lighter gas ( butane) or methylated spitits ( wood alcohol).
The thermal compound *may* stick the heat sink back on the cpu

rpiMike

Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:52 am

Most heat sinks that are used on the Pi just come with a form of double sided sticky tape !

Thermal compound is usually only used when a heat sink can be clamped in place.

Imperf3kt

Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:54 am

Comrade wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:36 am
Hello there,
I am pretty new to the Raspberry Pi. When I was setting up my Raspberry Pi 3 I forgot to add the thermal stuff that came with it. Is it important? If so, how can I remove the heat sinks, apply the thermal compound, and put them back on?

Thanks,
Comrade
The Pi does not cater to heatsink. If you attached one, it was from a 3rd party. How it attaches, is a mystery to anyone else who does not know which kit you bought.

It would help us, help you, if you could mention that, please.

Additionally, a heatsink is considered a non-necessity on a Pi. While it has its place (I am one person who definitely requires one), the majority of Pi users don't require one, the Pi will work just fine without a heatsink. If you try to do a lot of work (such as play games or browse the internet), then the Pi may heat up, but this will also cause the Pi to regulate itself to safe limits. The negative side to this is performance will take a hit, but you can rest assured the Pi can never burn itself out because of lack of a heatsink.
55:55:44:44:4C
52:4C:52:42:41

jahboater

Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:14 am

Imperf3kt wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:54 am
Additionally, a heatsink is considered a non-necessity on a Pi. While it has its place (I am one person who definitely requires one), the majority of Pi users don't require one, the Pi will work just fine without a heatsink. If you try to do a lot of work (such as play games or browse the internet), then the Pi may heat up, but this will also cause the Pi to regulate itself to safe limits. The negative side to this is performance will take a hit, but you can rest assured the Pi can never burn itself out because of lack of a heatsink.
Well said.

You need a heat sink for a sustained heavy work load using all four cores.
The 3B+ has considerable thermal inertia, meaning that transient work loads will not raise the temperature much.
One single core flat out will not raise the temperature much either.

The key is to monitor the temps during your work. If, and only if, it starts throttling then take some action to avoid it.

Comrade

Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:05 pm

Thanks for the help,
I did get a kit (with some stuff from a 3rd party source). Thanks for replying
-Comrade

Return to “Beginners”