DilanMalith

Raspberry pi as a local network

Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:59 am

Hi there,
Currently I'm working on a project and I need to use Raspberry pi as a local network. In this project there are several devices that was built using Node-Mcu micro controllers, and also there is a web based data base and a web site which shows the data from those Node-Mcus. Currently what this project does is that, the Node-Mcus will directly upload their data to the web based database using wifi router as the connection point. But now what I need to do is that, I need to connect all the Node-Mcus to the raspberry pi via wireless connection and store those data in raspberry pi and from time to time raspberry pi should upload those data to the web based database using wifi connection from the router. I have searched through the internet and still couldn't find a suitable solution. Can this be done? and if it can, how to do it. Please help.

epoch1970

Re: Raspberry pi as a local network

Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:44 pm

Add an usb wifi adapter to the Pi to have 2 wifi interfaces.
Setup one as a client to the router, the other as an access point for your devices.
See https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... /wireless/ for details on AP or client wifi setup (along with numerous posts on this forum)
"S'il n'y a pas de solution, c'est qu'il n'y a pas de problème." Les Shadoks, J. Rouxel

Paul Hutch

Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:27 pm

If you can physically locate the RasPi close to the router you can use the wired Ethernet between the Pi and router instead of adding a second WiFi adapter.

piglet

Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:46 pm

Why not run an mqtt server on the pi and connect the node-mcu's to that. That's what I'm using at home - node-mcu's and pi's controlling all the christmas lights...with connectivity back to a master pi.

What the master pi does with the info is up to you.

Something along these lines: https://www.baldengineer.com/mqtt-tutorial.html

Return to “General discussion”