JonnyAlpha
Raspberry Pi Certified Educator
Raspberry Pi Certified Educator

Cloning SD Cards Using Windows

Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:45 pm

Hi;

I am working on a robotics competition with my local college. I helped them today setup Raspbian with the CamJamEdukit Robotics modules for motor control. They now need to clone this image to four other SD cards using WIndows.
I am a Mac person and can do this on my mac using terminal but have no experience doing this in Windows, so some advice please.

What's the best way to clone a SD Card to an image which can then be burnt to a fresh SD Card using something like Etcher.

Many thanks
Raspberry Pi Certified Educator. Main Hardware - Raspberry Pi 1 model B revision 2, Raspberry Pi 2 model B, Pi Camera

FTrevorGowen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Cloning SD Cards Using Windows

Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:25 pm

JonnyAlpha wrote: Hi;

I am working on a robotics competition with my local college. I helped them today setup Raspbian with the CamJamEdukit Robotics modules for motor control. They now need to clone this image to four other SD cards using WIndows.
I am a Mac person and can do this on my mac using terminal but have no experience doing this in Windows, so some advice please.

What's the best way to clone a SD Card to an image which can then be burnt to a fresh SD Card using something like Etcher.

Many thanks
Whilst I can't give you a "Windows specific answer" (someone else probably can), since they're using Raspbian (Lite, Desktop or "Full"**), would it be possible to use Raspbian's own "built-in" cloning tool with a USB-based card reader/writer? (That's what I've done - only other family members use Windows m/c's, my "other computer" is a Gigabyte Brix running Debian)
Trev.
** https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/raspbian/
Still running Raspbian Jessie on some older Pi's (an A, B1, B2, B+, P2B, 3xP0, P0W) but Stretch on my 2xP3A+, P3B+, P3B, B+, A+ and a B2. See: https://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi/raspiidx.htm

Andyroo

Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:51 pm

Assuming they are not still on XP or Vista (seen worse) then I would use https://sourceforge.net/projects/win32diskimager/ if my Mac was not handy.

NOTE: - You will have to change the Pi name / any local static address definitions and thats best done with the Pi OFF the network. Its a bit of a pain if its WiFi is configured - in this case, do one at a time with a keyboard / monitor / mouse rather than ssh.
Need Pi spray - these things are breeding in my house...

IanS

Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:38 am

With any imaging tool that copies the entire media, whether allocated to a partition or not, be aware that not all SD cards are the same capacity for a given label. An '8GB' card might vary slightly from one manufacturer to another. Copying card1 -> image -> card2 will work if card2 is the same size or larger than card1, but not if it is smaller.

Return to “Advanced users”