Nekhil

How to make interesting projects with the Raspberry pi 3 using the Ada language?

Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:02 am

I am working with the Raspberry pi 3 around 4 months and it is working fine.Now i need to make interesting projects with the Ada programming language and the Raspberry pi 3.Can anyone help me to push out to the wonderful world of ARM board and ADA?
Note:Don't suggest to use another programming language.I want to learn Ada and I have programming experience in the C,C++and COBOL :D

W. H. Heydt

Re: How to make interesting projects with the Raspberry pi 3 using the Ada language?

Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:42 pm

I think you have things backward. What you need to do is find a project (that requires writing programs...not all do) that is interesting to you and *then* learn enough Ada to implement it.

Aside...I haven't heard much about Ada in years--like a couple of decades. Last I heard it was spec'd for use in DoD systems and was described as a language with 10,000 rules. Hmmm... Apparently there is a 2012 Ada specification, at least according to apt-cache.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: How to make interesting projects with the Raspberry pi 3 using the Ada language?

Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:33 pm

Its possbile this is spam as its is very similar to a posting made on another forum (thanks for the heads up to the reporter for that one!).

So, if the OP doesn't respond within 3 days, thread will be deleted and posters banned just in case.

Quite a lot of spam recently, so being extra cautious.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

Heater

Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:27 pm

Exact same question is on stackexchage.

Perhaps not so bad, the same guy seeking help. Even sounds like a homework assignment from some school/uni somewhere.

Ada is great and all. There is even an Ada compiler targeting the 8 bit AVR micro-processors. So why not use it on the Pi?

I don't expect it will be easy to use Ada on the Pi. Is there any Ada support for GPIO and other hardware?
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

croston

Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:31 pm

If you use 'gnat' (the Ada compiler) then controlling GPIO is as simple as writing to /sys/class/gpio/... using standard file i/o in Ada.

B.Goode

Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:43 pm

Heater wrote:

Perhaps not so bad, the same guy seeking help. Even sounds like a homework assignment from some school/uni somewhere.

Question on SE is from 27 months ago.

That homework must be due in soon...

Unless they set the same question each year.

To attempt an answer: there are hundreds of potentially interesting projects for the RPi published by the Raspberry Pi Foundation here - https://projects.raspberrypi.org/en/

Of course, it is unlikely that any are written in Ada. But if the aim is to learn to code n Ada then re-implementing one or more of these projects would be one way of learning the language.

DirkS

Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:24 pm

B.Goode wrote:
Heater wrote:

Which one? https://raspberrypi.stackexchange.com/q ... berry-pi-3 is from today and seems to be by the same user.

B.Goode

Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:43 pm

DirkS wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:24 pm
B.Goode wrote:
Heater wrote:

Which one? https://raspberrypi.stackexchange.com/q ... berry-pi-3 is from today and seems to be by the same user.

The one I came across is here: https://raspberrypi.stackexchange.com/q ... pbian-gpio

The very close match of the phrase "Don't suggest to use another programming language :) I want to learn Ada and I have experience in programming" is what caught my attention.

However, I went on to offer a suggestion that is genuinely intended to be helpful.

Return to “General discussion”