maksimilian

Error in format of program file

Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:08 pm

Hello,
I am new here (also a beginner with raspbian in an Pi 3 environment) and have the impression that I must talk in English. I try to install Eclipse 2018-09 under stretch and don't succeed. I have installed Java 9 and afterwards I downloaded the file eclipse-php-2018-09-linux-gtk.tar.gz from eclipse marketplace and extracted its contents to /opt. When calling /opt/eclipse/eclipse I get the error message
bash: /usr/bin/eclipse: Kann die Binärdatei nicht ausführen: Fehler im Format der Programmdatei

I am working in a German environment and don't know, how the message will be send in an English speaking environment. Nevertheless I hope, somebody kann help !

maksimilian
Last edited by maksimilian on Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DougieLawson

Re: Error in format of program file

Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:12 pm

You've installed an X86 / X86_64 program on a processor with ARM8 architecture (running a 32-bit ARM7 OS). You'll see that with a file /usr/bin/eclipse command.

You'll need to build Eclipse from source code or look for an ARM based version.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

maksimilian

Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:20 pm

Thank you for your fast answer, DougieLawson. How I can get an ARM based version of Eclipse ? I don't find it on eclipse marketplace.

maksimilian

DougieLawson

Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:32 pm

I have no idea. Both instances of Eclipse that I've got are on X86_64 Win10 - I wouldn't dream of running that resource hog on a 1GB Raspberry (not even on a 3B+).
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

ghans

Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:43 am

You can try installing the Eclipse version available via Add/Remove software.
It will probably be a bit older, but should actually work.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:30 am

There is no recent Arm build of Eclipse. Eclipse foundation stopped supporting it. I've tried building it, but it's a nightmare, and even Debian are considering dropping it from their repository because of this.

Try code::blocks instead.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

maksimilian

Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:07 am

I didn't mention that I need debugging support for Python. Which IDE will give that for ARM ?

maksimilian

Burngate

Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:35 am

maksimilian wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:08 pm
Hello,
I ... have the impression that I must talk in English...
I am working in a German environment and don't know, how the message will be send in an English speaking environment. Nevertheless I hope, somebody kann help !

maksimilian
Ever since we kicked out the Romans, we Brits have had a parochial attitude to foreign languges.
The result is that most foreigners can speak English better than we can speak their language (and sometimes better than we can speak English!)

Did you know there's a German-language section here?

Seit wir die Römer rausgeschmissen haben, haben wir Briten eine fremde Haltung gegenüber ausländischen Sprachen eingenommen.
Das Ergebnis ist, dass die meisten Ausländer besser Englisch sprechen können als wir ihre Sprache (und manchmal besser als wir Englisch sprechen können!).

Wussten Sie, dass es hier eine deutschsprachige Rubrik gibt?
viewforum.php?f=90

maksimilian

Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:05 am

Yes, Bumgate, I know it and I am also on the way in the German part. But it seems to me that "Troubleshooting" is only in English.

Of cause, I dont't know if you are an Islander :) (from the European continent point of view). But if so, your German ist excellant ! And: you can be proud about the fact that your mother tongue has spread out over the world so much. At least that's it what remains from Empire :))

maksimilian, who is very sad about Brexit

B.Goode

Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:17 am

maksimilian wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:07 am
I didn't mention that I need debugging support for Python. Which IDE will give that for ARM ?

maksimilian

Mu.

The Mu editor, when in standard Python3 mode, has a debug mode which allows setting breakpoints.

Thonny.

Thonny has a step-by-step debug mode, and a variable inspection view.

jamesh

Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:26 am

maksimilian wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:05 am
maksimilian, who is very sad about Brexit
You and me both.

Thonny is I believe our current Python IDE recommendation, we have had quite of lot of discussion with the guy who codes it and he is quite responsive.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

B.Goode

Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:51 am

Thonny is I believe our current Python IDE recommendation, we have had quite of lot of discussion with the guy who codes it and he is quite responsive.

That seems to be the case with most recent documentation.

But I also understand that the Mu editor is promoted as the default choice of Python3 editor for PiCademy attendees. (And its lead developer, Nicholas Tollervey, has worked closely with members of the RPi Education team during its development.)

jamesh

Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:13 pm

B.Goode wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:51 am

That seems to be the case with most recent documentation.

But I also understand that the Mu editor is promoted as the default choice of Python3 editor for PiCademy attendees. (And its lead developer, Nicholas Tollervey, has worked closely with members of the RPi Education team during its development.)
There's story behind that. The education team has not been communicating well with Trading with regard to this, so there is some confusion.

Return to “Troubleshooting”