Jarenward

Recovering my software

Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:24 pm

Hey guys, so I've got some trouble.

You see, a couple years back, a friend and i developed a program that we thought was useful, about and adaptive camera, we managed to get pretty far, we made it capable of reading pixel by pixel the image it got in our Pi, we never finished it because well, it only got more advanced as we progressed and he was the better programmer, i know how to program but im not that proficient at it, but sadly i lost my friend this summer, now i want to try go again at that software we were making, i have the Pi that has the program, and i have an sd we flashed with the file we made, but its made so when we start it up, the program immediately.... Here comes the part i never asked before making it this way, can i remove that to see my code again? i dont know if im capable of remaking it all again, besides that i want to look at the code, because it holds a lot of memories, anyone know if i can?

gordon77

Re: Recovering my software

Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:07 pm

Can you write a new Sd card, boot up the pi, and put the old card in a usb adapter in one of the pi USB slots.
You should then be able to see the old Sd card in file manager, where you can copy your files across or modify the files for automatic running

rpiMike

Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:43 pm

A few options:
  • ssh onto the Pi from another machine on your network and copy files off
  • use scp to copy the files to another machine
  • ssh onto the Pi and comment out the commands that auto start the program

W. H. Heydt

Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:26 am

And before you do anything else...backup that SD card. Especially since it sounds like it has the only copy of the programs you want to preserve and work on.

Joel_Mckay

Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:58 am

I have provisioned hundreds of sdcards over the years, and would recommend using a Mint/Ubuntu OS desktop with "gnome-disk" (from "sudo apt-get install gnome-disk-utility").
Get the disk backup process tested on another card to teach yourself how not to accidentally delete the usb-to-sdcard adapter setup, and make the disk-image file backup of the OS when you are ready.

Finally, if the source-code is readable.... than copy it onto a ext4 formatted USB stick, and setup the build again on a modern system (you may need to manually recover the library dependencies too)....

Note, most deployed setups are usually just running the binary, and may have the source-code being cross-compiled on that laptop.

Repositories like git-hub or git-lab are available to help programmers coordinate and share their work, but even so... an SRS document is needed for the next cycle or different hardware environments.

Best of luck.
J

Return to “Advanced users”