cvkone1

Can we use WiFi on the Pi for file sharing?

Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:41 am

Hi, I am a complete new comer to Linux and the Raspberry Pi. I want to create a lightweight NAS. I was just wondering if we could use the WiFi module on the Pi to create a Hotspot to share files. So that I can use it in my car too for long journeys.
Thank you.

B.Goode

Re: Can we use WiFi on the Pi for file sharing?

Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:03 am

Yes.

Raspberry Pi Foundation documentation here: https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... s-point.md

cvkone1

Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:47 am

I understand the article but can we use that network to view and transfer files stored on the Pi's SD Card (like Wi-Fi Direct). I will be using a Raspberry Pi Zero W for this project. I don't mind the slow speeds I just want to store my articles and access them from my phone or a PC without the need of an additional Wi-Fi connection to make it portable.
Thank You.

Roken

Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:54 am

You can set up an owncloud (or, as people seem to favour, now, nextcloud server). This has the advantage of being accessible outside of your home network.
Headless PI. OMG, someone cut it's head off. Oh, hang on. it didn't have one to start with.

DarkPlatinum

Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:03 am

yes but a Raspberry Pi as a wifi NAS would be slow. Ethernet is much faster.
1 * Raspberry Pi Zero W, 1 * Raspberry Pi 2, 1 * Raspberry Pi 3 1 * Raspberry Pi 3B + :mrgreen:

Check Out My Raspberry Site (Run on a Raspberry Pi 3B :) ): https://html.dynu.net

B.Goode

Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:41 am

cvkone1 wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:47 am
I understand the article

I'm not sure you do. Otherwise you would not need to ask -
can we use that network to view and transfer files stored on the Pi's SD Card (like Wi-Fi Direct). I will be using a Raspberry Pi Zero W for this project. I don't mind the slow speeds I just want to store my articles and access them from my phone or a PC without the need of an additional Wi-Fi connection to make it portable.

The answer is Yes.

At the conclusion of the first stage of the setup the Raspberry Pi Foundation author says explicitly:
By this point, the Raspberry Pi is acting as an access point, and other devices can associate with it. Associated devices can access the Raspberry Pi access point via its IP address for operations such as rsync, scp, or ssh.
Those protocols are those that you will need for filesharing.

The only cost for trying it is a few minutes of your time. Based on that you will know from your own experience whether it is possible or not.

nobbit

Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:00 am

Once you have it set up as an access point you can host a web server on it and serve files that way. Nextcloud (as mentioned) is one way of doing that.

Return to “Networking and servers”