Paul Webster

New TV Tuner from HQ

Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:54 am

Interesting

https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/raspberry-pi-tv-hat/

Introduces new HAT definition as well so that it can be called a HAT yet is form factor of Pi Zero.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: New TV Tuner from HQ

Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:43 pm

uHAT is the term we will be using I beleive.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

DougieLawson

Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:43 pm

jamesh wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:43 pm
uHAT is the term we will be using I beleive.
Its says "DVB TV HAT" on the boxes I got for my early support versions. It's "PHAT" shaped. One is sitting on my 3B+ with the WD HDD pretending to be a TV tuner.

I just wish I could find out more about the Sony tuner and what it can do other than DVB-T by poking strange values into its registers.
Note: Having anything remotely humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a hippy & doctor free zone.

k-pi

Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:09 pm

Ha, just ordered one myself, after getting an email alert from The PiHut, hopefully I can set it up OK when it arrives, never done it before, but they have an article about it as well - so between the two, I should be able to. :)

It'll be great to watch recorded programs on any machine, not just my TV. 8-)

DougieLawson

Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:27 pm

k-pi wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:09 pm
Ha, just ordered one myself, after getting an email alert from The PiHut, hopefully I can set it up OK when it arrives, never done it before, but they have an article about it as well - so between the two, I should be able to. :)

It'll be great to watch recorded programs on any machine, not just my TV. 8-)
The hardest part was finding the right Kodi plugin to install in Raspbian.
The /boot/config.txt piece is there in the 2018-10-09 (or NOOBS 2.9) version.

Code: Select all

hdmi_force_hotplug=1
hdmi_group=1
hdmi_mode=16
dtoverlay=rpi-tv
gpu_mem=128
sudo apt install tvheadend kodi kodi-pvr-hts

Set-up tvheadend with your local transmitter (UK-Hannington for me). Scan the channels (got 151 on a full scan). Then start kodi, configure kodi-pvr-hts with the "all powerful" userid/password you've set for TvHeadEnd and you'll be good to watch Jodie Whittaker from "Hoodezfield" (as the Americans subtitled it) as Doctor Who on Sunday.

You do need a UK Broadcast Receiving Licence in the UK from https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/ unless you're over 75 years old.

The hardest part for me was grabbing the TV aerial lead while Mrs. L, was watching.
Note: Having anything remotely humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum.

hippy

Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:33 pm

Unfortunately my aerial fall off the roof a long while back and it felt like I lived in a FreeView deprived blind spot at the best of times. Looks nice though; a reasonable price and a perfect fit for the Foundation's educational goals.

bensimmo

Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:35 am

I wondered when they would bring that out, the rpi-tv overlay had been there since the beginning of the year, at least iirc.

Nice to see more useful HATs :-)

I guess some people will be looking at SDR capabilities, I've not read the release yet though.
Can it do S2 or is it just T2 ?
Has anyone brought out an easy to use Freeview/Freesat program yet. I so miss Windows Media Centre.

k-pi

Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:54 am

The hardest part for me was grabbing the TV aerial lead while Mrs. L, was watching.
:lol: You cruel man, depriving Mrs L of her TV watching....... ;)

hippy

Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:40 am

bensimmo wrote:
I guess some people will be looking at SDR capabilities, I've not read the release yet though.
I did not find anything useful in that respect when I looked. There is no documentation on the chip used I could find and no one else seems to have had any luck either.
bensimmo wrote:
Just terrestrial but there was mention of the possibility of a satellite version in the future. I would expect that would be more expensive because of the need to provide phantom power to the LNB and there may be greater encryption issues to overcome to make it usable and useful.

It makes sense that Sony who manufacture the Pi would partner with the Foundation to deliver products with their chips on-board so maybe we will see more of that. Hmm; do Sony produce ARM SoC devices ?

jamesh

Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:36 pm

hippy wrote:
bensimmo wrote:
I did not find anything useful in that respect when I looked. There is no documentation on the chip used I could find and no one else seems to have had any luck either.
bensimmo wrote:
Just terrestrial but there was mention of the possibility of a satellite version in the future. I would expect that would be more expensive because of the need to provide phantom power to the LNB and there may be greater encryption issues to overcome to make it usable and useful.

It makes sense that Sony who manufacture the Pi would partner with the Foundation to deliver products with their chips on-board so maybe we will see more of that. Hmm; do Sony produce ARM SoC devices ?
We do not know if SDR is supported.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...

rpiMike

Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:05 pm

Just got mine :D

riggo

Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:29 pm

recieved my tv hat this afternoon, followed the tutorial on PiHut to set up Tvheadend but the hat seems to kill the Pi's wifi, when the hat is removed the Pi connects to the network no problem, happens with Pi0w and Pi3. haven't tried ethernet yet, need to investigate further, hope I've not got a duff.

fanoush

Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:39 pm

Nice photos, can you show the bottom of the board or how you put in on? You attach the included 40pin header from the bottom pointing the pins up so they go through and mate with the TV board and then you put it together on top male Pi header? or can you put it directly on top of Pi male header without using that extra black pinheader?

jamesh

Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:45 pm

riggo wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:29 pm
recieved my tv hat this afternoon, followed the tutorial on PiHut to set up Tvheadend but the hat seems to kill the Pi's wifi, when the hat is removed the Pi connects to the network no problem, happens with Pi0w and Pi3. haven't tried ethernet yet, need to investigate further, hope I've not got a duff.
That sounds like a power supply problem. What are you using?

rpiMike

Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:02 pm

fanoush wrote:
Nice photos, can you show the bottom of the board or how you put in on? You attach the included 40pin header from the bottom pointing the pins up so they go through and mate with the TV board and then you put it together on top male Pi header? or can you put it directly on top of Pi male header without using that extra black pinheader?
Does this help ?

bensimmo

Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:07 pm

hippy wrote:
bensimmo wrote:
bensimmo wrote:

Thanks, I'll make my way through the many many comments.
S2 should be fine, they used to be the most common TV card/USB dongles.
Since USB (5V) can power it, the 5V gpio should be comparably capable...

Encryption shouldn't be a problem either unless you are trying to get sky, there are far more free channels up there than on freeview.
Even Channel4 HD who are having a hissy fight with FreeSat and removed the channel from the FreeSat line up can still be received off the FreeSat listings.

https://www.lyngsat.com/freetv/United-Kingdom.html shows (most) the Free for UK, not all are for the 28.2/28.5 Astra (freesat/sky) direction.
There seems to be a lot around the world too.

Of course the joys of different standards around the world ATSC for USA ?

rpiMike

Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:24 pm

All working with tvheadend and kodi, had to add my local transmitter muxes manually. Setup in the kitchen as thats our only Freeview aerial !

gordon77

Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:47 pm

Anyone know of a remote control that will work with this?

DougieLawson

Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:13 pm

gordon77 wrote:
There's no support on the board for any remote. So anything you add is going to need extra hardware.

gordon77

Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:20 pm

DougieLawson wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:13 pm
gordon77 wrote:
There's no support on the board for any remote. So anything you add is going to need extra hardware.
Cheers.

Anyone know of a compatible remote control?

DougieLawson

Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:31 pm

https://thepihut.com/products/flirc-usb ... spberry-pi looks like it's designed for the job (although it costs the same as the DVB TV μHAT).

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:37 pm

Perhaps its possible to use the remote of your HDMI device, (TV) as that is the way Kodi can be controlled with your TV remote.
HDMI has a back-channel through its I2C connection with the PI. It might be possible to use that.

hippy

Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:40 pm

fanoush wrote:
Nice photos, can you show the bottom of the board or how you put in on?
Bottom of the board here -

http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0176/3 ... mbly-2.png

Anyone know what the two header holes are for ?

bensimmo

Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:44 pm

Either try the CEC as mentioned above if connected directly to a TV.
Or try a Bluetooth Kodi remote (I just search and there seems to be loads to choose from :-) )
Or you mobile phone with a Kodi Remote app over WiFi etc.

I've not used one though.

bensimmo

Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:55 pm

hippy wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:40 pm
fanoush wrote:
Nice photos, can you show the bottom of the board or how you put in on?
Bottom of the board here -

Anyone know what the two header holes are for ?
EEPROM ?
It connects to that little chip that connects to the ID pins. (Top via between small tiny surface mount and large small chip)
So whatever that chip is for.

Return to “Media centres”