hswanda

Near Space Experiment using a Raspberry Pi 3

Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:43 pm

I am in a college science method and design class. In this class, we are designing a near space experiment that we will send up in a high altitude balloon. For one experiment we are collecting mold spores at a higher altitude. We have a HS-311 Standard Servo motor that opens a door and an altimeter that keeps track of the altitude. I have a separate script working for each of them, but I cannot figure out how to make them work together in one program. I need to have the altimeter to reach a certain altitude and tell the motor to turn on and open a door to collect the mold spores.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

scotty101

Re: Near Space Experiment using a Raspberry Pi 3

Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:51 pm

Perhaps you can share your script(s) so that someone can help you join the two together.

Remember to use [code][/code] tags when you post your code.
Electronic and Computer Engineer
Pi Interests: Home Automation, IOT, Python and Tkinter

mfa298

Re: Near Space Experiment using a Raspberry Pi 3

Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:48 pm

hswanda wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:43 pm
For one experiment we are collecting mold spores at a higher altitude. We have a HS-311 Standard Servo motor that opens a door and an altimeter that keeps track of the altitude. I have a separate script working for each of them, but I cannot figure out how to make them work together in one program. I need to have the altimeter to reach a certain altitude and tell the motor to turn on and open a door to collect the mold spores.
First off consider how you're measuring altitude. Altimeter suggests something based on pressure and these tend to be very poor at the heights balloons can reach. GPS is a much better system to use, but make sure you use the right GPS modules and configure them in the right way or you might find they also stop working.

You might also find the resources on https://ukhas.org.uk/ and http://www.daveakerman.com/ useful. There's also a forum category here designed just for High Altitude Balloons viewforum.php?f=111

Return to “Advanced users”