sautzer

Re: Introduce yourself!

Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:32 pm

Hi to all, I'm from italy. I follow the site since I taken a raspberry pi in the 2012, but never registered. I used it like a mediacenter, but now I want more from it, and also I need some help to finish my project.

pepdawg61

Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:52 am

Hi to all,

I'm Paul, I'm pretty new to all this but I'm looking forward to learning some basics, and moving on from there. I've currently got the new Raspberry Pi B+ and have found I need to look more into effective use etc.

In all honesty I am a complete novice, and have come across Raspberry Pi's as a media device as I'm a big fan of XBMC (kodi). I found it very simple to configure my original device (model B) for XBMC, but the B+ is causing me difficulties as when I install NOOBS the only OS options I get are Raspbian based. I was looking to install RaspBMC, or OpenElec. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

eufone

Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:29 pm

Hi there
real name John, from Staffordshire UK, but use eufone for many things where you need a username - eg Geocaching
Not from a techie background - finance and accounts :( sorry!
Have dabbled in programming, but only very basic stuff - some Basic, Pascal, C - all VERY rusty now, but would love to pick up again.
We've bought our son (aged 9) a pi for Xmas, so thought I'd join the forum and see what I can learn.
Can't wait for santa to come and deliver so we can get started :D
I'll sure we'll have loads of questions, so look forward to tapping into all the wisdom.
Ciao for now
E

Hodgepodge

Thu Dec 04, 2014 3:40 am

Hello, I just started to dabble in linux a couple of months ago with mint and lubuntu. However, I have been following the raspberry pi since it was introduced but never took the jump. I started off computing back when the C-64 was pretty hot stuff and have run the gamut of apple 2e, macintosh, and microsoft windows computers. I just purchased and received a Raspberry Pi B+ and am looking forward to learning some code with it for fun.

moonstroller

Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:40 am

Hello, I'm John aka moonstroller. I've been using slackware since late 1995 and enjoying the art of programming. Basically I'm still a cmd line programmer and hobbyist. I've decided to play with the raspberry pi and see how far and fast this little machine will change the landscape of computers. I can already see speed increasing by stacking these little machines and allocating a job to each one.
I intend to develop two robots. One for upstairs and one for downstairs. They will be controlled by a mobile RP device and allow me to fetch things from upstairs, put them in a small elevator and collect them with the appropriate robot. Using this system, I don't have to deal with robots that walk up the stairs, etc.

It's been a long time since I got serious about programming and I have a lot to catch up on. I have some slight mobility issues and use an electric wheelchair in the home.
I don't mind getting hooked up with others who have mobility issues as a club and see what we can develop to help ourselves and other people.

John aka moonstroller.
Last edited by moonstroller on Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pi Fawkes

Sun Dec 07, 2014 6:48 pm

Good evening.

I'm James, 34 years old from Kent in the UK and new to pi.

My first computer was a Commodore C64, then I had an Amiga 500. They were the best computers I ever owned, since then I have had DOS, Windows and now use Mac. The pi has been my first experience of Linux.

I am interested in learning python programming (like I used to use basic on the C64) and robotics/automation.

Mandrewpi

Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:34 am

Hi my name is Andrew I am 15 (16 at the end of Dec) known as Mandrew 1444 on Xbox live and 1443 on Minecraft. I live in Alabama on a hill. I am new to pi but am used to Windows 8. I have always liked to tinker with computers in fact in pre school I turned on a computer that the teacher could not find out how to turn on (helps if it is plugged in:)). Now I am interested in learning how to program and build computers. To the foundation great job on the pi it rocks.
A computer is only as smart as its programmer. ;)

I own:
Pi B rev.2, Pi 2 B, Two Pi 3 B, Two Pi 3 b+, Pi 4 2Gb, Pi Zero 1.2, Pi Zero 1.3, Two Pi Zero Ws.
I'm known elsewhere as mandrew1444

Chandra MDE

Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:39 pm

Hi, my name is Chandra. I'm Indonesian.
I am actively experimenting with Raspberry Pi.
I have created a blog dedicated to it : http://raspi.teknikelektrolinks.com

Thanks and Regards.

PI_User445

Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:41 pm

Hi,

I'm new here. Don't own a PI yet but hoping to get one soon. I'm a programmer :geek: , interested in computers and code.
I want a PI for creating a portable computer (NOT a laptop :mrgreen: ) that will fit in a backpack and will work out if that.

MonsterMum

Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:32 am

Hi There, I am looking into getting my son a b+ for christmas, thought I'd check some things out here first. :D

Prince Ashura

Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:40 am

Bonjour everyone, Name's Christopher Letterle I'm from Cleveland ,Ohio and I'm starting to get into Raspberry Pi real soon, once I've get my Pi from Sparkfun I'll play around with it and learn to code cool stuff like building a mini arcade to a little game console.

I had played around with Linux since I had 13.10 Ubuntu as a virtual machine and been wondering to program something on the pi soon on Raspbian. I'm just basically new to the pi itself.

ruairifilter

Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:10 pm

Hi, I'm Ruairi. I'm getting a Pi soon and plan on using it for a few things, including web hosting and stuff. I hope to continue developing my programming skills using the Pi too!

Fezman

Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:06 pm

hello raspberry pi people, this is my first time working with a pi, I'm not a computer guy beyond surfing the web, but i want to learn how to programming get into 3d printing and maybe building a home cad driven mill. using a pi and my motorola lap dock as the programing input.
thanks for the help in advance

Phil1974

Thu Dec 25, 2014 5:05 pm

Hi everyone, I'm Filip and as many of you also a Pi-addict :-) During the day I'm an Oracle/Linux administrator and whenever I have some spare time I plug in my Pi.
It keeps amazing me what you can do with such a small/affordable device....all the interfacing you can perform with it !!! The only limitation is your own imagination :-)
I almost got all the basics covered so I'm moving on to some beginner robotics :-)

rawmetal

Sat Dec 27, 2014 2:33 am

Hey everyone, I'm Nick, I'm in my 20's and live in the USA. I just got a raspberry pi the other day and am excited to start using it! I'm in the middle of my Bachelor's degree for software engineering, and am excited to put some of that knowledge into being creative with the Pi!

platini76

Sat Dec 27, 2014 4:32 pm

hallo to everyone! I'm from Italy.
happy Xmas to all!

P_Monty

Sat Dec 27, 2014 10:21 pm

Hi everyone.
My name's Paul. I got a B+ for Christmas and am looking forwards to getting to grips with it (currently at my inlaws so contending myself with reading a book about it and browsing the forums). I haven't done anything like this since a bit of Z80 programming at university 25 years ago :o

KnightOfPi

Sun Dec 28, 2014 1:06 pm

Hey there!

I'm pretty new to Raspi, but already an enthusiast.
I've got a good background in programming but low experiences in circuit design.

Thanks to the people who build and support this site-
i love it.

So long,

UserX
Check out www.knight-of-pi.org for many beginner-friendly tutorials!

Mandrewpi

Mon Dec 29, 2014 5:40 am

Hi
Last edited by Mandrewpi on Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
A computer is only as smart as its programmer. ;)

I own:
Pi B rev.2, Pi 2 B, Two Pi 3 B, Two Pi 3 b+, Pi 4 2Gb, Pi Zero 1.2, Pi Zero 1.3, Two Pi Zero Ws.
I'm known elsewhere as mandrew1444

tdmoody

Mon Dec 29, 2014 6:07 pm

Hello everyone! I'm new to the RPi scene. Currently, I only have one Pi, but I plan to change that. I also plan to look at other SBCs and test their worthiness.

So far, I've turned it into a flight tracker and a vpn server, although not at the same time. ;) Currently, it is running in the vpn server configuration.

I plan to lurk around and look for more ideas and ways to use these fun, and cheap, little computers. Motion sensors and cameras are also high on my list.

Thanks to all, so far, for the great info!

sora03

Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:15 am

Hi, my codename is Sora and I am looking forward to get a RPi Model B+, and turn it into a File Server the same time a Internet Access Point and a WiFi AP too, hope to get it soon... I am not in Europe nor America anyway
FLOSS enthusiast, Debian user (linux-libre)

TinaFranchi

Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:13 am

Hi everyone, Tina here and just joined in the forum. Hoping to meet great people in the community. Looking for knowledge to make my life better.

lunarSunset

Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:02 pm

Hello World!

Hi everyone. Just got my first raspberry pi model and i'am excited to get started. I'm planning on messing around with the camera modules and such.

My background is in programming in general. I expect to learn/contribute in any related languages that i know in relation to raspberry pi.

Looking forward to joining the community :D

MalSoft

Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:18 pm

Hello fellow RPiers!

After promising to get an RPi for ages, I finally got my first (a B+) for Christmas :D

Plans for my RPi (and quite possibly a few others) are: running a "low power cluster" to provide the house with an internet gateway as well as web/mail servers and a few other services. I'd also like to look into some home automation tasks, having a media server and later, having a Pi to help with my astronomy - hooking it up to my telescope mount to "drive" it and also have it capture some images.

I'm also very interested in advocacy for computing and would love to try another project out for running a "Code Club" from a single box, containing all the kit needed to run a small group. In my mind's eye, this works very well, but as we all know, theory and practice are two very different things!

ItsAllNice

Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:42 pm

Hi all.

I must have been a good boy this year as Santa put a B+ under my Christmas tree! My day job is a freelance web developer, based in Cardiff, South Wales, so I'm looking forward to using the Pi to play around with technology outside of the usual HTML / PHP / CSS / Javascript areas - particularly electronics, which is a new experience for me to get my teeth into.

Santa also delivered a B+ to my 12 year old daughter, so I'm hoping that it will be a great tool for developing her programming and tech skills (I'll try to encourage her to log-on to the forum sometime soon...)

Here's to a 2015 with a lot of Raspberry Pi goodness!
Andy

Return to “General discussion”