jeebo

Netflix no longer runs on Pi

Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:47 am

Hi Folks,

Not sure if anyone can help. I once followed the guide here: https://thepi.io/how-to-watch-netflix-o ... pberry-pi/

I managed to run Netflix on there for some time, and it was working fine, but recently, its got a new error.

M7121-1331-P7 appears on the page when I try to load an application. I have run updates / upgrades and it still doesnt seem to work.

Is there anything I am missing?

SurferTim

Re: Netflix no longer runs on Pi

Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:40 pm

I have the same problem. I think Netflix is now using HTML5, and the current browser doesn't support it.

I tried the same fix I used for TinkerBoard, but it doesn't work. Actually, it runs Netflix videos, but they run like a slideshow. :( The CPU usage shows 99% all the time it is trying to play.

I'll keep working on it.

ShiftPlusOne
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Location: The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:04 pm

When was the last time it worked for you?

Before we released the last version of chromium in apt, I tested it with a widevine.so extracted from a chromebook image and that worked.

SurferTim

Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:13 pm

ShiftPlusOne wrote: When was the last time it worked for you?

Before we released the last version of chromium in apt, I tested it with a widevine.so extracted from a chromebook image and that worked.
A few months ago. I haven't been keeping up with it. Amazon Prime stopped working a long time ago. Amazon requires Chromium v65 or greater to stream.

I've been playing with Chromium v67, and it works with both on TB, but plays like a slideshow on RPi.

gkreidl

Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:17 pm

You might try the kodi 18 beta version, which now should support Netflix and similar services.

Edit: comfirmed by Rascas: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 4#p1369419
Last edited by gkreidl on Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

jeebo

Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:30 pm

Probably 8-12 weeks ago in my case.... Not been using it for Netflix since then.

jeebo

Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:43 pm

gkreidl wrote:
You might try the kodi 18 beta version, which now should support Netflix and similar services.

Edit: comfirmed by Rascas: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 4#p1369419
I dont use Kodi, I just use the Chromium "manipulation string" to make Netflix think its running on Chrome, not Chromium

gkreidl

Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:56 pm

jeebo wrote:
gkreidl wrote:

I dont use Kodi, I just use the Chromium "manipulation string" to make Netflix think its running on Chrome, not Chromium
Why not try a working solution instead of complaining that it doesn't work any more in Chromium? And it will definitely work better in kodi than inside any browser on the RPi.
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download

ShiftPlusOne

Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:12 pm

I definitely had prime working not too long ago. I've cancelled the netflix subscription since I don't use it much, but I check if prime still works. If it does, there's no reason netflix shouldn't.

SurferTim

Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:30 pm

ShiftPlusOne wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:04 pm
When was the last time it worked for you?

Where did you get the widevine.so file? Can you make that available to us?

ShiftPlusOne

Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:23 am

We don't have permission to distribute it.

This page will tell you how to get it:
https://help.vivaldi.com/article/raspberry-pi/

jeebo

Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:39 am

gkreidl wrote:
jeebo wrote:
gkreidl wrote:

Why not try a working solution instead of complaining that it doesn't work any more in Chromium? And it will definitely work better in kodi than inside any browser on the RPi.
Because I prefer to use the browser and not Kodi?
When I go to the browser, I know the website I am logging onto is Netflix.

When I use Kodi, I don't know whether the "addon" for Netflix has been written by Netflix themselves, or, whether some individual has written it and plans to use my data illegally? Given Netflix do not mention a Kodi addon on their website as a supported item, then I have to think any addon is not to be trusted explicitly.

Unless you are aware of a safe to use Kodi Addon which guarantees the protection of my personal data, I would rather just find a means of running a resolution for the Chromium browser?

I am always happy to explore new options, but, I tend to avoid just downloading programs / plugins and freely entering my data unless I can verify the authenticity of the application.

gkreidl

Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:23 am

Both kodi and the netflix plugin are open source. I don't think there is anything to worry about.
This is not Android!

PiGraham

Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:30 am

gkreidl wrote:

Than you for your helpful solution.

ShiftPlusOne

Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:46 am

Ok, something has indeed changed. I can't get prime working.

The file distributed with the latest chromeos images isn't the one that our version of chromium looks for. Copying the older version of the files I had from before no longer works. Even if I try DRM'ed video samples from other sites, it fails, so it looks like we'll need a new version of chromium and widevine before it works again (unless they've done something to block it entirely).

SurferTim

Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:59 am

I tried updating to Chromium v67 and widevine, and it doesn't work right.
https://snapshot.debian.org/package/chr ... :7e:deb9u1

I installed a pepper flash player (don't remember where I got it), and after the install, it uses way too much CPU time. The "top" app shows it is trying to use about 325% CPU, so it plays like a slideshow. Memory looks OK.

Edit: Just FYI, without the Pepper player, the upgrade complains that the player is not compatible with Amazon Prime and Netflix.

zelozelos

Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:41 pm

The real solution: ask, plea, beg, insist that netflix supports raspbian w a browser, we may need to get chrome instead of chromium, the hacks are tricky, dont work any more. make the system vulnerable and always end up breaking, just like when we were fighting to see netflix on our linux machies not too long ago,
shoot netflix a comment, email, phone call, sky message, smoak signal...point being the more netflix users request it, the more inclined they will be to do it. maybe someone could pitch a netflix-box made with a pi3?

ventz

Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:57 am

Here are easy directions for doing this in 3 steps:

https://blog.vpetkov.net/2019/07/12/net ... -chromium/

Return to “Advanced users”