JoffreyLannister

pi3b can't upgrade

Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:28 am

Hello, my pi 3 b can't upgrade successfully.

I have a pi3b, pure usb boot.

I downloaded RASPBIAN STRETCH WITH DESKTOP(2018-6-27 version), and sha256 is correct. Also, the system works fine.

But when I upgraded it(

Code: Select all

sudo apt update && sudo apt full-upgrade
), I got

NameError: 'file' is not defined
Yes, during upgrade I got python error, and this error was dure to dpkg. Then, I can't install or uninstall anything, same error occur. Also, after this error, I can't run

sudo poweroff 
and commands like that due to

Segment fault
. When I disconnect the charger and reboot my pi, it won't boot, since i'm running headless, couldn't see any message.

So, is this a bug or something I forgot?

HawaiianPi

Re: pi3b can't upgrade

Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:27 am

It sounds like your boot drive got corrupted.

What are you using for a power supply?

What kind of USB drive are you booting from?

It's not a bug I am aware of. I have USB booted and updated the 2018-06-27 Raspbian Stretch OS without incident. I have a Pi3B (and a 3B+) booting from a SATA SSD with a USB-SATA adapter (I've also done this with a 500GB laptop HDD).

My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

JoffreyLannister

Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:00 am

HawaiianPi wrote:

It's not a bug I am aware of. I have USB booted and updated the 2018-06-27 Raspbian Stretch OS without incident. I have a Pi3B (and a 3B+) booting from a SATA SSD with a USB-SATA adapter (I've also done this with a 500GB laptop HDD).

Thanks for the reply.
I'm using a 5v2A charger from my samsung tablet, and a kinstone 32gb usb2.0 drive, no add-ons.
I think the power supply and usb drive are fine, since the pi ran very well before upgrade.
Have tried three times, and I always get the same error: 'NameError: "file" is not defined' from dpkg, this might broken my kernel? After the error, I can't run many commands due to segment fault, so I'm not pretty sure.

fruitoftheloom

Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:35 pm

JoffreyLannister wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:00 am
HawaiianPi wrote:

Thanks for the reply.
I'm using a 5v2A charger from my samsung tablet, and a kinstone 32gb usb2.0 drive, no add-ons.
I think the power supply and usb drive are fine, since the pi ran very well before upgrade.
Have tried three times, and I always get the same error: 'NameError: "file" is not defined' from dpkg, this might broken my kernel? After the error, I can't run many commands due to segment fault, so I'm not pretty sure.

You need a Power Supply not a Charger IMO:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/products/ra ... er-supply/
Adieu

HawaiianPi

Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:38 pm

Two potential problems with phone/tablet chargers. Phone charging does not require precise voltage regulation, and if the charger uses a separate USB cable, the cable could also introduce losses (many USB 2.0 cables aren't designed to deliver more than 500mA, which is the USB 2.0 power spec, and the Pi needs more than that). I have a "5V/2.4A" phone/tablet charger that dips well below 5V at only a 1A load. It still charges my phone or tablet, but it's a lousy Pi PSU.

Also, the recommended power supply for the Pi3B is 5V/2.5A.

There was a bug in the 20180910 firmware, but the error it caused was nothing like what you are seeing. However, that bug has now been fixed, so try it again with a freshly imaged drive and see if your problem still persists. If so, then power is likely your problem.
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

JoffreyLannister

Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:56 am

Thank you, guys ;)
Will have a try when I'm home

Return to “Raspbian”