picandies

VNC printing ---where is it?

Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:40 am

Using VNC that came with my rpi...noticed this mentioned about printing , but WHERE is this file-->print button located? My file is a app.py file I'm editing in Thonny & want to print. Please provide a screen shot of it. I can't find it anywhere, either on my rpi or PC. I did install the CUPS as mentioned
=================================================
This is from a raspberrypi org link about transferring files & printing remotely

Printing to a local printer

It can be really useful to print to a printer attached to your Windows, Mac or Linux computer if no printer is set up for your Raspberry Pi. To do this, first run the following command on your Raspberry Pi to install cups (the Common Unix Printing System):

sudo apt-get install cups

Then, use VNC Viewer to select File > Print remotely (or whatever the standard command is for the page or file you want to print). VNC Server directs the output to VNC Viewer, and spools it to your local printer. There’s more information about remote printing here.

DirkS

Re: VNC printing ---where is it?

Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:02 am

Not every program has a print function and it looks as if Thonny is one of them: https://bitbucket.org/plas/thonny/issue ... s-of-my-py
You could open your script in another editor (text editor, mu, geany, etc) and print it from there.

klricks

Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:24 pm

If you can't get CUPS configured and running then other options are to copy & paste from the VNC to something in Windows or use the VNC file transfer tool to copy your file to the Windows computer then print from there.
I have also used web base email client to email files to myself.
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated Raspbian Buster w/ Desktop OS.

picandies

Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:18 pm

Then, use VNC Viewer to select File > Print remotely

I think whoever wrote this for the rpi phrased it rather poorly...this is rather misleading, since no such selection can be found anywhere in VNCviewer....I tore apart my entire computer looking for it!!!!

klricks

Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:47 pm

picandies wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:18 pm

I think whoever wrote this for the rpi phrased it rather poorly...this is rather misleading, since no such selection can be found anywhere in VNCviewer....I tore apart my entire computer looking for it!!!!
What is the link to those statements?
I don't find any reference to printing in the official documentation: https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... /README.md
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated Raspbian Buster w/ Desktop OS.

picandies

Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:36 pm

What is the link to those statements?
I don't find any reference to printing in the official documentation: https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... /README.md

Here (bottom, VNC):
https://www.raspberrypi.org/community/
To here:
https://www.realvnc.com/en/raspberrypi/
Transfer files and print remotely
You can transfer files to and from your Raspberry Pi, or print to a printer where you are, providing you're connecting from a desktop computer. Learn how.

link take to here:
https://www.realvnc.com/en/connect/docs ... y-pi-print
Printing to a local printer
It can be really useful to print to a printer attached to your Windows, Mac or Linux computer if no printer is set up for your Raspberry Pi. To do this, first run the following command on your Raspberry Pi to install cups (the Common Unix Printing System):
sudo apt-get install cups

scruss

Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:24 am

I just tried it. Printed an image from GIMP on a Raspberry Pi, and this is what it gave me for the printer choice:
2018-09-08-231459_804x629_scrot.png
vnc print dialogue
2018-09-08-231459_804x629_scrot.png (36.9 KiB) Viewed 958 times
The highlighted printer is the default on my desktop machine, and the file printed properly.

When running VNC, you even get remote printing via the terminal. Your default printer gets switched to the desktop one. Rather clever
‘Remember the Golden Rule of Selling: “Do not resort to violence.”’ — McGlashan.

picandies

Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:29 am

use VNC Viewer to select File > Print
WHERE is this menu at...who ever wrote it lacked clarity, though after massive searching could not find any such menu in VNC. So I had files I wanted to print, but couldn't.

Later I opened the files (came up in Thonny & still couldn't print)...so it was a bit perplexing. But it is fine now.

buja

Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:17 am

@picandies: there is no print option in VNC Viewer. The text you mention refers to the print option in the program you are using on your Pi via VNC Viewer, for example a text editor or GIMP, like scruss shows. I agree the text could be more clear about that.
Printing from the Pi on a local printer connected to a PC should be possible via VNC Viewer.

@scruss: it looks like you set it up correctly, I am struggling with it. I can see my PC printer showing on the Pi, but I am puzzled where to set the device URI. Maybe you can help?

DirkS

Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:49 am

buja wrote:
but I am puzzled where to set the device URI. Maybe you can help?
Why do you need to set that?

buja

Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:55 am

DirkS wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:49 am
buja wrote:
but I am puzzled where to set the device URI. Maybe you can help?
Why do you need to set that?
Because of the error message in Jobs overview: "Unable to locate printer "elite.local".

scruss

Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:33 pm

buja wrote:
@scruss: it looks like you set it up correctly, I am struggling with it. I can see my PC printer showing on the Pi, but I am puzzled where to set the device URI. Maybe you can help?
You don't need to. In VNC Viewer (on the machine that is not the Raspberry Pi) FilePreferences …, choose the options under Printing:
Screenshot from 2018-09-09 11-27-29.png
printing from VNC viewer
Screenshot from 2018-09-09 11-27-29.png (4.07 KiB) Viewed 851 times
I selected both “Share my default printer” and “Make it the default printer on VNC Server”. It may have done that by default. Printing may be a RealVNC only thing.
‘Remember the Golden Rule of Selling: “Do not resort to violence.”’ — McGlashan.

buja

Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:59 pm

@scruss: thanks, that did it!
Both options were checked. I unchecked them, checked them again and Applied to be sure the setting was saved, and now it works, I can print from my Pi :)

picandies

Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:26 pm

Yep, instead of saying vnc can be used to remotely print your files, they should say , your apps can remotely print your files through the VNC connection. VNC server lets you pick File Transfer, so I was looking for similar File Print, after following the install steps.

Return to “General discussion”