matan2244

what to do with 64GB micro sd?

Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:07 pm

i have a micro sd 64 gb with exfat file system.
i want to make my raspberry pi 3 b+ os raspbian but i heard that i need to change the file system to fat32 which has a limitation of 4gb for each file size.
is there any solution to my problem?
can i make it work with exfat 64gb micro sd?
(my micro sd card and raspberry pi are new).
thanks a lot for any kind of help!

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: what to do with micro sd?

Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:52 pm

Simply don't use NOOBS, just image it with Etcher instead, no formatting needed, and it doesn't matter that the card is >32GB, as the image will simply overwrite what is on the card.

This problem only exists when you use NOOBS.

fruitoftheloom

Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:56 pm

mahjongg wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:52 pm
Simply don't use NOOBS, just image it with Etcher instead, no formatting needed, and it doesn't matter that the card is >32GB, as the image will simply overwrite what is on the card.

This problem only exists when you use NOOBS.

+1 do not use NoobS

..therefore only the First (boot) Partition is FAT32, the Second Partition is EXT4 formatted:

https://kernelnewbies.org/Ext4
Retired disgracefully.....

HawaiianPi

Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:19 pm

matan2244 wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:07 pm
i have a micro sd 64 gb with exfat file system.
That is the default for cards larger than 32GB.
i want to make my raspberry pi 3 b+ os raspbian but i heard that i need to change the file system to fat32 which has a limitation of 4gb for each file size. is there any solution to my problem?
FAT32 is only needed for installing NOOBS, which will then install Raspbian and create a Linux ext4 partition that won't have the 4GB file size limitation.
can i make it work with exfat 64gb micro sd?
(my micro sd card and raspberry pi are new).
thanks a lot for any kind of help!
As an OS boot drive, no. The exFAT filesystem is not compatible with the Raspberry Pi bootloader. But as I said above, Raspbian uses the Linux ext4 filesystem, which has no practical file size limits (technically there is a limit, but it's far larger than any storage solution you'd be using, or could even afford).

So you could format the card with the FAT32 filesystem and install NOOBS, which would then install Raspbian with the ext4 filesystem for the root partition. However, NOOBS reserves something like 1.5GB of storage for itself, so that's space you won't be able to use.

If you do as suggested above and write one of the Raspbian images to your card you will have the full capacity, and won't have to worry about the format (since Etcher can write an image, regardless of any prior formatting).
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

LTolledo

Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:50 pm

n67 wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:29 pm
Yeah, but then you'd have to find and install "Etcher" - and take your chances with some unknown third party software.
Nowadays I'd rather take my chances anytime with Etcher (aka some "unknown" third party software) than with NOOBs/PINN.
"Don't come to me with 'issues' for I don't know how to deal with those
Come to me with 'problems' and I'll help you find solutions"

Some people be like:
"Help me! Am drowning! But dont you dare touch me nor come near me!"

Heater

Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:02 am

Never mind formatting the SD card.

Just download raspbian image to your PC from the downloads page: https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/raspbian

And follow the instructions for installing it with Etcher you will find here: https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... /README.md

Etcher may be third party software, so what, it's dead easy and it works.

Note, when you install this way you are basically writing an disk image to your SD card, that image already contains the required FAT and ext partitions.
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

k-pi

Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:37 am

I would suggest going with a Raspbian image too, I never did see the point of NOOBS/PINN, it just means you'll likely do a regular install a bit later anyway, so why waste time & effort. :)

I, personally, always use dd, but for a first timer, everyone suggests Etcher, so I'd take their advice, as it seems to work well for others who have just started out. 8-)

Heater

Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:36 am

dd is great but does not exist on Windows.

fruitoftheloom

Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:42 am

Heater wrote:

YMMV

http://www.chrysocome.net/dd

jahboater

Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:43 pm

k-pi wrote:
I, personally, always use dd
Well I personally always use cp
The syntax is easier (and quicker to type) and I found it very slightly faster.

Code: Select all

sudo cp 2018-06-27-raspbian-stretch.img /dev/sdx

jahboater

Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:44 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:42 am
Heater wrote:
YMMV

http://www.chrysocome.net/dd
It is access to the raw device that is the problem on Windows.

n67

Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:06 pm

It is access to the raw device that is the problem on Windows.
One of many...
"L'enfer, c'est les autres"

G fytc hsqr rum umpbq rm qyw rm rfc kmbq md rfgq dmpsk:

Epmu Sn!

J lnacjrw njbruh-carppnanm vxm rb mnuncrwp vh yxbcb!

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:53 pm

The (official) link to the etcher download page is simply here, where you would expect it to be: https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... /README.md

nothing "unofficial" about https://etcher.io no need to use any other obsolete lmager instead, or other boot methods less suitable for users of >32GB cards.

As n67 again tried to throw a spanner in the machine, I have given him a month long ban for his attempt to derail (sabotage) this thread, as he did similar things many times before, and shorter bans do not seem to deter him.

Also deleted his posts in this thread, (with which tried to disparage the use of Etcher and tried to mislead the original poster into choosing an less suitable solution for him).

k-pi

Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:29 pm

jahboater wrote:
k-pi wrote:

I keep reading some people just use cp - I'll have to break my habit & try it one day. :D

LTolledo

Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:53 am

k-pi wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:29 pm
jahboater wrote:
k-pi wrote:

I keep reading some people just use cp - I'll have to break my habit & try it one day. :D
so this is how other people do it in Raspbian.... might try as well in the future to further minimize dependencies on windows systems.

Hope resin.io do make an Etcher version that will run in Raspbian.....
"Don't come to me with 'issues' for I don't know how to deal with those
Come to me with 'problems' and I'll help you find solutions"

Some people be like:
"Help me! Am drowning! But dont you dare touch me nor come near me!"

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: what to do with 64GB micro sd?

Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:27 pm

As Etcher is really an Electron app, what you really hope, in this case, is that electron https://electronjs.org will run on Raspbian. Because if that is the case then Etcher should work.
I don't see why this wouldn't be possible, as the PI already runs javascript and Chromium.

DavidS

Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:25 pm

Slightly off topic:

What is this Etcher?

I always just write images to SD Cards with:

#sudo dd if=./imagename.img of=/dev/sdX bs=8M
#sudo sync
Where /dev/sdX is the device name of the SD card on your system. Remember to make sure it is not mounted first.

Is there supposed to be another step that I am not aware of?
Last edited by DavidS on Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RPi = The best ARM based RISC OS computer around
More than 95% of posts made from RISC OS on RPi 1B/1B+ computers. Most of the rest from RISC OS on RPi 2B/3B/3B+ computers

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:27 pm

Etcher is momentarily the preferred way to image an SD card from a .img file, dd is a previously used imager, but Etcher is safer, and easier to use.
Versions of Etcher exist for Windows, Mac OS, and (x86) Linux. it an app based on electron, which is based on javascript and Chromium, and so yes, its a universal GUI application running on all modern platforms.
as such I don't think its your cup of tea.... :mrgreen:

jahboater

Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:40 pm

DavidS wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:25 pm
Is there supposed to be another step that I am not aware of?
First there is an optional check that it has downloaded correctly:-

sha256sum imagename.zip

Then it must be unzipped of course. You can use "unzip" on LInux, but etcher does it for you.
Here is the problem, the full version of Raspbian is over 4GB and so the 64-bit format (ZIP64) is used.
The Windows version of unzip doesn't seem to support ZIP64, so the suggestion is to use 7-zip which can.
So can etcher. The Linux unzip also works fine.

FYI to save you a little typing - as you are working as root (the # prompt), you don't need sudo, and you don't need it for sync anyway.

Also FYI, you can unzip and redirect the output directly to /dev/sdn in one go, or you can use "cp" which is less to type than "dd". Lots of options!

DavidS

Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:47 pm

mahjongg wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:27 pm
Etcher is momentarily the preferred way to image an SD card from a .img file, dd is a previously used imager, but Etcher is safer, and easier to use.
Versions of Etcher exist for Windows, Mac OS, and (x86) Linux. it an app based on electron, which is based on javascript and Chromium, and so yes, its a universal GUI application running on all modern platforms.
as such I don't think its your cup of tea.... :mrgreen:
Ok thank you.

Yes we all know how much I like jS (Yuck) :) .

In order to provide something a little more universal, and without js: if I may make a suggestion, why not just write a very simple front end program in a language that includes graphics and mouse commands and is portable across all the target platforms (including ARMHF Linux), that takes care of safeguarding errors with extra questions, and just shells out the platform native version of dd to perform the operation? The only changes would be the path name conventions between the operating systems (especially for DOS and Win32/Win64).

One possible implementation language could be FreeBASIC, as it is available on ARMHF Linux, Win32/Win64, BSD(x86), macos (Actually Darwin+Aqua), Linux (x86/AMD64//IA64), DOS, and most other likely source systems.

Though I would recommend against using a toolkit with a different language, only use language builtin commands for all mouse, KB, and screen I/O.

Not having the familiarity with some of the target systems, I am not in a position to do this, as the implementer would have to be able to correctly use the path names that are specific to each system, especially for the target device to write.
More than 95% of posts made from RISC OS on RPi 1B/1B+ computers. Most of the rest from RISC OS on RPi 2B/3B/3B+ computers

Heater

Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:23 am

DavidS,
In order to provide something a little more universal, and without js: if I may make a suggestion, why not just write a very simple front end program in a language that includes graphics and mouse commands and is portable across all the target platforms (including ARMHF Linux), that takes care of safeguarding errors with extra questions, and just shells out the platform native version of dd to perform the operation?
Great idea. I look forward to seeing what you came up with.

Personally I think JS is a perfectly fine language. Expressive, fast and cross-platform. I'd rather my tools were written in a formally standardized language, C, C++, JS etc than some other random language with no standard specification.

DavidS

Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:00 pm

Heater wrote:
DavidS,
In order to provide something a little more universal, and without js: if I may make a suggestion, why not just write a very simple front end program in a language that includes graphics and mouse commands and is portable across all the target platforms (including ARMHF Linux), that takes care of safeguarding errors with extra questions, and just shells out the platform native version of dd to perform the operation?

Personally I think JS is a perfectly fine language. Expressive, fast and cross-platform. I'd rather my tools were written in a formally standardized language, C, C++, JS etc than some other random language with no standard specification.
Would be nice to have a formally standardized language that includes graphics, mouse input, and windowing primitives as part of the standard. Though as it stands such a language does not exist, using any of the standardized languages thus sacrifices portability in one way or another. We have had this conversations before.

As I stated I am not qualified for this task. I would only be able to provide the command line for Linux, I do not know the device path name conventions for the other systems. Even though the rest of the program would be identical. Not to mention that I have been told that my idea of user friendly is not very user friendly for most.

fruitoftheloom

Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:16 pm

DavidS wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:00 pm
Heater wrote:
DavidS,

Would be nice to have a formally standardized language that includes graphics, mouse input, and windowing primitives as part of the standard. Though as it stands such a language does not exist, using any of the standardized languages thus sacrifices portability in one way or another. We have had this conversations before.

As I stated I am not qualified for this task. I would only be able to provide the command line for Linux, I do not know the device path name conventions for the other systems. Even though the rest of the program would be identical. Not to mention that I have been told that my idea of user friendly is not very user friendly for most.

Your posts as always are completely left field, maybe your life would be easier if you stick to RiscOS Section and forgot any other Operating System existed ??

DavidS

Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:43 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:16 pm
Your posts as always are completely left field, maybe your life would be easier if you stick to RiscOS Section and forgot any other Operating System existed ??
I have finally given into using Unix derived systems as primaries, mostly Linux Raspbian distro, and this is my welcome?

I am only attempting to help as many as possible. I am even asking about what toolkits may be of aid in using C for such a project, see the thread:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 1&t=222359

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:54 pm

Fruitoftheloom, your posts violates the first principle here, "be nice".
:roll:

And for the record, I'm a fan of RiscOS myself, although I consider it Retro, but I happen to like Retro.
Its a pity that RiscOS was so unknown, it was far ahead of its time, in its time. Still you can see that some other OS's have "used it for inspiration".

Return to “Raspbian”