henryhunt

Overly saturated colours around sunset/low light

Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:39 pm

I have a Raspberry Pi camera module from Waveshare (think it's the V1 camera module) which I am using as a 'cloudcam' pointed at the sky outside, in an enclosure, taking images every 5 minutes. In the 20 minutes before and after sunset, images from the camera show overly saturated colours, making it look like there is an almost fake-looking fiery sunset when in fact looking out the window will show only a slight pink/orange tinge on the clouds.

Are there any camera settings in the picamera python library that I can play with manually to reduce this over saturation? To me it seems like it is just a problem with the automatic settings being generated. It is difficult to test things because I only have around 40 minutes a day to play around, which is why I'm asking here. I have tried setting the white balance to cloudy, and playing with the awb_gains but that did not change anything.

An example image with this problem can be seen here https://1drv.ms/u/s!AhMZRFFD7Bsbgu9nITtqwIFjmd6KFw

In reality the clouds in this scene were only slightly pink in colour. These problems are not present at any other time, and mean I cannot use the camera for observing sunsets as the colours are drastically off.

alphanumeric

Re: Overly saturated colours around sunset/low light

Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:41 pm

I'm seeing something similar running the motion eye OS. When it gets dark and my wife turns on her floor lamp, I get lots of red and orange tint in my video. Standard Version 1 camera. Incandescent bulb in the lamp, not an LED bulb.

DirkS

Re: Overly saturated colours around sunset/low light

Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:05 pm

henryhunt wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:39 pm
I have a Raspberry Pi camera module from Waveshare (think it's the V1 camera module)
Well,, actually it's not a v1 camera module. At best it's a V1 clone...

Does your camera use the same lens as the v1?
AIUI a different lens can mean that the result is not the same as an original RPF camera board.

Return to “Camera board”