picandies

Glade control panel

Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:58 am

I noticed the other day that Glade is now appearing as a programming option on my rpi. Looks like a cool way to make a control panel to adjust my motors (pwm IO output). Is there a good rpi tutorial using Glade to do something (blink some leds, control a motor speed, etc?). I just want some buttons & sliders to make all the adjustments (I now have to type in as a terminal question response, such as "enter the desired speed"). Even a "hello world" two button control of turning an rpi led on/off would be useful.

scotty101

Re: Glade control panel

Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:03 am

Have you considered searching for "Glade tutorial"? I know this sounds obvious but this is literally what anyone answering your question is going to do. There is nothing special to using Glade on a raspberry pi and all the GPIO functions you are using already will still be available.
Also given that Glade is programming language independent, which language do you intend to write your GUI with? C? Python? Ada? Perl?
Electronic and Computer Engineer
Pi Interests: Home Automation, IOT, Python and Tkinter

PeterO

Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:36 am

Using Python with Gtk3 is covered here : https://python-gtk-3-tutorial.readthedocs.io/en/latest/
Specifics on using Glade are here : https://python-gtk-3-tutorial.readthedo ... ilder.html

HTH

PeterO
Discoverer of the PI2 XENON DEATH FLASH!
Interests: C,Python,PIC,Electronics,Ham Radio (G0DZB),1960s British Computers.
"The primary requirement (as we've always seen in your examples) is that the code is readable. " Dougie Lawson

picandies

Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:18 am

There is nothing special to using Glade on a raspberry pi and all the GPIO functions you are using already will still be available.

Well that's nice, but how do those I/O things tie into Glade? That's the tutorial I'm looking for (aside from just drawing something up using glade). This would be a python app. I see very little about glade being used for the rpi...is it not too popular in the rpi world?

Has anyone on the rpi forum used Glade to make a hardware control app?

I did find this, so at least ts a start:
https://wiki.gnome.org/action/show/Apps ... FTutorials

PeterO

Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:27 am

picandies wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:18 am
Has anyone on the rpi forum used Glade to make a hardware control app?
Yes. But I can't find the code at the moment :oops:

PeterO
Discoverer of the PI2 XENON DEATH FLASH!
Interests: C,Python,PIC,Electronics,Ham Radio (G0DZB),1960s British Computers.
"The primary requirement (as we've always seen in your examples) is that the code is readable. " Dougie Lawson

picandies

Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:52 am

So does on anyone on the forums use glade to make projects or not??? Control some motors, a pump, leds, etc? Where are the examples? Show at least one.

Return to “General discussion”