nagu3112

CortexM4F and Rasberrypi

Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:35 am

Hi ,

I am looking for an Rasberrypi development board with below requirements.
Could you please suggest me?

-Cortex M4F is preferred.
- 1 or 2 SPI port + 1 I2C port + 1 UART port required.
-SD card support with data logging support up to 1000 Hz.
-External crystal for better timing accuracy.

W. H. Heydt

Re: CortexM4F and Rasberrypi

Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:17 am

Welcome to the forums.

Are you looking for an add-on board, like a HAT? Or do you think Raspberry Pis are made with any of a variety of different SoCs? Could you unpack your request a bit, please?

Gavinmc42

Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:27 am

1st time poster?
I'm dancing on Rainbows.
Raspberries are not Apples or Oranges

W. H. Heydt

Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:31 am

Gavinmc42 wrote:
1st time poster?
Join date today, post count 1. So...yes.

daniohlala

Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:46 pm

Gavinmc42 wrote:
1st time poster?
Hi Gavinmc42! Sorry I contact you by this way, but I don't know how to send a message to you. There's a way to contact you? By e-mail or something like that? I'm a girl from Venezuela and I'm doing a project that involves RPI + Adafruit boards and I want to know if you can advice me.

Thanks!

Heater

Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:52 pm

Why not just ask here about whatever it is you want to do? Then we can all help.

Another suspicious first post.
Last edited by Heater on Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

ejolson

Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:45 pm

Heater wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:52 pm
Why not just ask here about whatever it is you want to do. Then we can all help.

Another suspicious first post.
Private messages have been disabled on this forum because of a mandate from politicians who do not trust people to behave appropriately in private. For similar reasons, the toilet stalls in public restrooms have only shoulder height walls. Traffic cameras make sure everyone travels within speed limits. Sidewalks and benches have spikes to prevent people from sleeping. Along these lines, I plan to develop a hat for the Raspberry Pi that uses ultrasonic sound waves to detect when people pick their noses. Soon there will be heaven on Earth.

How does one ask a technical question on this forum that you know a particular person is well suited to answer while avoiding useless comments from the peanut gallery, such as the one you are currently reading?

In my opinion, the best that can be done at present is to include the name of the person for whom the thread is intended in the subject line. Examples of such threads are

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 8&t=218791

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 3&t=217848

In the present case a subject line such as "Adafruit interfacing question for Gavinmc42" might suffice.

Gavinmc42

Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:05 am

In the present case a subject line such as "Adafruit interfacing question for Gavinmc42" might suffice.
Well it might, except I make my own microcontroller and I/O boards and have not yet needed to do a Pi/Adafruit combo.
Better off asking on the Adafruit forum?
I'm dancing on Rainbows.

ejolson

Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:30 pm

Gavinmc42 wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:05 am
Well it might, except I make my own microcontroller and I/O boards and have not yet needed to do a Pi/Adafruit combo.
Better off asking on the Adafruit forum?
That's a good point. Maybe the question was something to do with Ultibo.

Gavinmc42

Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:38 pm

That's a good point. Maybe the question was something to do with Ultibo.
Hmm better off asking on the Ultibo forum then, more knowledgeable people there than me.
I am still learning that too, I can fumble through someone else's working examples.
My contribution's to Ultibo are mostly commenting and dreaming about my adventures into baremetal by someone who found Linux too hard ;)

Ultibo is sort of Arduino for Pi's, once someone has made suitable library Units, then the main application code is quite small.
With a bit of massaging Ultibo could have setup and main loops that look like Arduino.

CortexM4 and M7's are on my todo list, which if you have been reading my Ultibo posts is a very long list :lol:
I'm dancing on Rainbows.

daniohlala

Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:43 pm

I'm really sorry! I think my problem is very stupid and I don't want to bother everyone with that.

Sorry again! I will do what you suggest! Thanks!

Gavinmc42

Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:12 am

I'm really sorry! I think my problem is very stupid and I don't want to bother everyone with that.
Not asking the question is stupid.
We still don't know what the question is?
I'm dancing on Rainbows.

ejolson

Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:46 am

daniohlala wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:43 pm
I don't want to bother everyone with that.
I'm sorry that the forum is not always as welcoming to new members as it should be. There have been some recent posts by people only pretending to be interested in Pi computers and these posts have affected the community.

Once people realize your project and interests are real, they become interested, want to know the problem and then help if possible.

I would suggest starting a new thread with the title "Getting started with X" where X is whatever you are having a problem with and then asking a question. I think you will find that this forum presents a friendly atmosphere where people seek answers to technical questions and later share their knowledge.

daniohlala

Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:00 pm

Gavinmc42 wrote:
Not asking the question is stupid.
We still don't know what the question is?
Hi again! First, sorry for my english, I don't practice much in my country. I'll take your suggestions about to open a new topic.

Basically, I need to connect an Adafruit M0 Feather to my Raspberry Pi through SPI, since I am doing a project that consists of creating a LoRa network.

I have doubts about the connection of the pins of the Feather with the Raspberry and about the code that I should use. I'm pretty new at this and I really need help to start hahaha. Many thanks. This is an initial project for my university.

Gavinmc42

Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:41 am

Basically, I need to connect an Adafruit M0 Feather to my Raspberry Pi through SPI, since I am doing a project that consists of creating a LoRa network.
Well I do know a bit about that as I have two LoRa feathers and one day want to connect them to Pi's.
LoRa is a low rate RF comms so you should be fine using the uarts.

I had to install the Ardunio IDE on a Pi 3 as I did not have a second PC when I was testing the Feathers.
I was only programming them as TX and RX RSSI detector with OLED for range checking.
Installing the LoRa library took longer than writing the ap code ;)

Try the uart comms on both the feather and Pi first, it should be fast enough for most things.
On the Pi, serial terminal aps can help debug comms easier than SPI.
Putty is what I use mostly as it is available on Winows, Linux and Pi's.

Also look at what the Amsterdam guys are doing too.
https://www.thethingsnetwork.org/community/amsterdam/
I'm dancing on Rainbows.

W. H. Heydt

Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:47 pm

Note in passing...the OP's post count is still 1.

Heater

Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:11 pm

Who? Oh that guy. We don't care about any OP around here. We have much more interesting things to discuss.

About those thethingsnetwork.org guys. They had a kickstarter going for a LoRa base station and such about two years ago. My colleague backed that. When I asked him about it a month or so ago he said nothing had been delivered and he had no news.

Any idea what goes on with that?

Gavinmc42

Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:48 am

When I asked him about it a month or so ago he said nothing had been delivered and he had no news.

Any idea what goes on with that?
No idea, I don't have spare $$ for Kickstarters, I have to save for Zero's ;)
Last time I heard a new basestation was coming at about $200.
I'm dancing on Rainbows.

Heater

Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:18 am

I have placed small bets on a a few cheap Kickstarter projects. When I have had some clue who the project belongs to and some idea of their track record. With happy outcomes so far. The Epruino projects for example. https://www.espruino.com/

I balked at the size of the bet required for the thethingsnetwork project though. To rich for my taste.

Luckily it turns out that you don't need an expensive LoRa base station to get some simple things connected and LoRa modules can be had very cheaply. If you need a base station just make one out of a LoRa module and a Pi connected to the internet.

bensimmo

Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:32 am

I think the devices may be getting delivered, since they have ran out of the 880 (iirc?) boards .
Of course it may be another Kickstarter thing.

I'm somehow involved with a local LoRa (LoRaWAN) for our local city. We have a few competing lora solution up now.
A commercial one (though will have community free access hopefully) and hopefully our open platform based around TTN.
So I've rapidly been swatting up on it.
I have everything but LoRa up and running, our sensors are there (Pi's are not the best for this unfortunately as they use to much power, but I still use them for anything I have access to.
The ESP32, Lora, OLED things are much better and come pretty much complete, bar adding sensors, now for not a lot of money.

I do have some modules I'm going to wire up to a Zero though. Just need a bit of piece and quiet time to do it.
I'm using this for reference
http://www.daveakerman.com/?p=2101

Return to “Off topic discussion”