rln

Help with testing Nard v2.0 kiosk?

Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:13 am

Next major release of the robust Nard SDK is approaching and this time it has gotten GUI support via the add-on! Nard can now operate in kiosk mode, with a webbrowser in full screen. Perfect for information panels, bulletin boards, railway guides etc. requiring years of service life with a minimum of maintenance. Anyone interested in helping me testing it?
Author of the robust Nard distro http://www.nard.se

hippy

Re: Help with testing Nard v2.0 kiosk?

Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:43 am

rln wrote:
Next major release of the robust Nard SDK is approaching and this time it has gotten GUI support via the add-on!
That is excellent news. As good as Nard SDK sounded, the lack of any display capability was what had kept me from considering it as an option.
rln wrote:
Anyone interested in helping me testing it?
Possibly. It may depend on what help you need, and how easy it is to help, given that I have absolutely zero Nard experience or exposure.

I have long wanted to turn the Pi into a Python-based Application Engine, similar to the micro:bit and other MicroPython boards but using full Python, and if this enables that it would have my interest.

rln

Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:15 am

hippy wrote: Possibly. It may depend on what help you need, and how easy it is to help, given that I have absolutely zero Nard experience or exposure.
My current test is mind is just downloading my prebuilt beta SD-card image and try out the browser kiosk feature in whatever information panel you may be administering.
hippy wrote: I have long wanted to turn the Pi into a Python-based Application Engine, similar to the micro:bit and other MicroPython boards but using full Python, and if this enables that it would have my interest.
Interesting... Well, Python is available. However, Nard focuses on being highly robust and thus may not have all the latest fancy features available as in the official Raspbian. (Analogous to Debian stable/testing.) For now the beta image works in Pi model 3B only (not the later 3B+).

hippy

Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:38 am

rln wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:15 am
My current test is mind is just downloading my prebuilt beta SD-card image and try out the browser kiosk feature in whatever information panel you may be administering.
I have a 3B so am happy to try that out if you point me to that image but don't have an information panel currently. I can at least boot it up and see how it goes from there.

I tried downloading the existing public Nard SDK to get a feel for that. Managed to get most of the prerequisite tools installed but not all ....

Code: Select all

[email protected]:~/nard$ make skeleton
Rules.mk:391: *** The programs makedepend, libtool, makeinfo,  is missing from your path, please install them from your Linux distribution.  Stop.
I cannot find makedepend or makeinfo packages for Raspbian Stretch, and the latest version of libtool (2.4.6-2) is already installed. Any hints on how to proceed ?

rln

Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:09 am

hippy wrote: I have a 3B so am happy to try that out if you point me to that image
The PM feature in this forum is gone so I can't send you the link directly. And since it's an alpha test I don't want to post it publicly. Can you email me via the authors link?
hippy wrote: Managed to get most of the prerequisite tools installed but not all ....
There are trouble shooting help for various distros. Try the Ubuntu one, since it's very similar to Debian.

hippy

Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:40 pm

rln wrote:
The PM feature in this forum is gone so I can't send you the link directly. And since it's an alpha test I don't want to post it publicly. Can you email me via the authors link?
I'd rather not. I can't see the problem in publishing a link if you want others to help test things.
rln wrote:
Try the Ubuntu one, since it's very similar to Debian.
Seems to have moved on, at least 'make skeleton' is reporting it's doing a lot of things, now ...

sudo apt-get install xutils-dev libtool-bin texinfo

Will update once that completes.

rln

Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:35 pm

hippy wrote: I'd rather not. I can't see the problem in publishing a link if you want others to help test things.
This has only to do with the "add-on" in Nard being donationware. As compensation for helping the project with your time you of course acquire access. More info.

hippy

Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:13 pm

rln wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:35 pm
This has only to do with the "add-on" in Nard being donationware. As compensation for helping the project with your time you of course acquire access. More info.
I guess that makes sense. I will have to think about that. I don't have a problem with paid for or subscription software etc, but tend to prefer working on things where everyone else can also get on-board and legitimately do everything or benefit from that for free.

In other news; my 'make skeleton' eventually ran on my Pi 3B as noted above, then just over two hours later failed with ...

[ERROR]  >>  Build failed in step 'Installing final compiler'
[ERROR]  >>        called in step '(top-level)'
[ERROR]  >>
[ERROR]  >>  Error happened in: CT_DoExecLog[scripts/[email protected]]
[ERROR]  >>        called from: do_cc_backend[scripts/build/cc/[email protected]]
[ERROR]  >>        called from: do_cc_for_host[scripts/build/cc/[email protected]]
[ERROR]  >>        called from: main[scripts/[email protected]]
Running 'make skeleton' again to check it compiles more quickly with most stuff built, and it failed with 'out of space' errors. I guess 6.5GB free with it all gone isn't enough.

I might come back to it later.

rln

Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:38 am

hippy wrote: I guess that makes sense. I will have to think about that. I don't have a problem with paid for or subscription software etc, but tend to prefer working on things where everyone else can also get on-board and legitimately do everything or benefit from that for free.
Of cource I agree fully and that is why I used to not have any download restriction what so ever. It turned out not work though. Not a singe donation despite several years of unlimited access... :( The pay-walled addon I have now is very low cost and covers only a minor fraction of Nard. If you are experienced with GNU/Linux you can manage without it.
hippy wrote: it failed with 'out of space' errors. I guess 6.5GB free with it all gone isn't enough.
A default build requires about 13 GB. A large one 20 GB. This is by design due to everything is compiled with lots of debug information to be able to fault search just about anything.

Return to “Other”