tricross

Powered USB Hub problem

Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:41 pm

Hi People,

Hope you can help me.

I've just bought a Raspi model B, got it all up and running with an internet connection, and then bought a D-Link 4 port DUB-4 powered USB hub to add some external storage.

Plugged the hub into the Pi, and plugged the mouse, keyboard and external Lacie drive into the hub.

Logged in OK, Typed "startx" and got the GUI up and running with mouse support.

The research I had done suggested that the hub would be compatible with the Pi, but I lost my internet connection (The Pi obtained an IP address from my DHCP server but error message said that Midori was unable to resolve the hostname. The Lacie external hard drive (fat32 format) showed in the list of devices but I was unable to access it (When double-clicked, error message reads 'DBus error org.gtk.Private.RemoteVolumeMonitor.Failed: An operation is already pending')

I've tried using the hub with a couple of memory sticks as well, Got as far as being able to browse files on one of the memory sticks, but when I tried to play an MP3 file from the stick, the application hung, and the device disappeared from file manager.

I'm running the pre-loaded SD card Debian Squeeze image I bought with the Pi.

If I disconnect the new hub, everything works OK again.

If anyone can give me any pointers to try and get the hub working properly, I'd be very grateful.

Thanks

Tricross

drgeoff

Re: Powered USB Hub problem

Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:32 am

It is thought by many that there are some problems with the USB driver. These can be confused with or exacerbated by poor power supplies to the RPi and hubs that (wrongly) feed power from themselves to the RPi's USB socket (not the micro-USB socket). There are many posts on these forums about the behaviour you are seeing. While this is taking much longer to rectify than many would like there is some evidence that progress is being made (eg https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux/issues/29). The most recent OS distributions may behave better for you - try the Raspbian wheezy which is now the recommended 'starter'.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

tricross

Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:59 pm

drgeoff wrote:It is thought by many that there are some problems with the USB driver.......... ..........The most recent OS distributions may behave better for you - try the Raspbian wheezy which is now the recommended 'starter'.
Thanks for the tip drgeoff, I'll give it a try. I did it the lazy way before, and bought a preloaded card, but it's probably better to do the job myself!! I don't think the problem should have been with the power supply to the Pi though, because it was independently powered. Here's a thought though. When I googled images of the D-Link 4 port USB DUB-H4 hub, there are two distinct sorts. There is a small black plastic case model (which is the type I have), and a larger metal bodied model. If D-Link introduced a later model with slightly different characteristics, perhaps that could explain differences in compatibility?
I'm away for a week now but when I've upgraded the OS, I will post and let you know how I get on.
Thanks again
Tricross

piglet

Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:21 pm

I have the black one on Raspbian, and it works with keyboard, mouse and usb stick in. I still can't get any combination that works for long with a wifi dongle before things start to fail.

I'm probably going to shelve my pi now until there's a new usb driver to test.

lostintime

Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:06 pm

drgeoff wrote:It is thought by many that there are some problems with the USB driver. These can be confused with or exacerbated by poor power supplies to the RPi and hubs that (wrongly) feed power from themselves to the RPi's USB socket (not the micro-USB socket). There are many posts on these forums about the behaviour you are seeing. While this is taking much longer to rectify than many would like there is some evidence that progress is being made (eg https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux/issues/29).
Actually, I think that link shows that no significant progress has been made. Instead it shows what a huge mess the situation with USB and Ethernet on the Pi really is right now. There doesn't appear to be any kind of solution or workaround for this that doesn't involve hardware modification and I think there's a strong possibility that there never will be.
The most recent OS distributions may behave better for you - try the Raspbian wheezy which is now the recommended 'starter'.
Unfortunately I think that's very unlikely.

Montala

Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:08 pm

I agree unfortunately, and I think it really is a shame.

Although it may not have been the original intention, or aim, for the RasPi, there would appear to be a lot of users who would like to use USB 'plug-ins' such as a Wi-Fi 'dongle' and who are having difficulty in doing so, often due to the aforementioned USB driver problems.

Hopefully it is currently being worked on as a matter of some urgency, and that we will soon see a workable solution.

tricross

Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:44 pm

piglet wrote:I have the black one on Raspbian, and it works with keyboard, mouse and usb stick in. I still can't get any combination that works for long with a wifi dongle before things start to fail.

I'm probably going to shelve my pi now until there's a new usb driver to test.
Hi Piglet,
Thanks for the info....If I could get my pi to recognise a USB stick and maintain the network connection, that would be OK for the time being. Are you using the "squeeze" or "wheezy" distribution?
Cheers
Tricross

tricross

Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:58 pm

The most recent OS distributions may behave better for you - try the Raspbian wheezy which is now the recommended 'starter'.
Unfortunately I think that's very unlikely.[/quote]

Hi Lostintime,
OK... Scepticism noted... I'm going to give it a go anyway... The downloads are free and the mental exercise may ward off Alzheimers for a few more minutes....
Thanks anyway for the response.
Tricross

piglet

Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:58 pm

tricross wrote: Are you using the "squeeze" or "wheezy" distribution?
Raspbian “wheezy”

tricross

Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:56 am

Happy to report that problem is now solved. Downloaded and installed "Wheezy". Internet connection is holding up and I can access my memory stick via the new hub. I'm now wrestling with the problem of trying to control OMXPlayer.... I'm sure there must be a manual out there somewhere!!!
Anyway, Thanks to all who responded to my posts.
Best Regards
Tricross

fredjam

Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:32 am

Omxplayer is primitive, it seems that the p key pauses playback and the q key quits.
Beyond that open a terminal window., use the cd command to steer to the directory
where you have stored your videos then type
omxplayer -o (lower case letter o) hdmi nameofvideofile.
This works well if you are connected via a hdmi lead. to a monitor or television.

vmp32k

Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:08 am

You can find all the keys in the sourcecode: https://github.com/huceke/omxplayer/blo ... r.cpp#L484
I compiled a list to those less C inclined: ;)
z - shows video information (tv_show_info)
1 - reduces velocity (speed)
2 - increases velocity
j - previous audio stream
k - next audio stream
i - previous chapter
o - next chapter
s - toggle subtitles
n - previous subtitle
m - next subtitle
q - quit
- (minus) - decrease volume
+ - increase volume
spacebar & p - toggle pause

tricross

Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:00 pm

Thanks to fredjam and vmp32k for the responses about OMX player. I've been trying not to ask too many silly questions and I do try to RTFM before I take advantage of all the goodwill and help available on the forum, but the help is greatly appreciated. Apologies for not responding sooner....have been away on holiday for a few days.
Cheers
Tricross

SteveD430

Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:36 pm

I cannot add anything to further understanding the problem. However FYI, I did purchase the Joytek High Speed 7 Port USB 2.0 hub, and that one did demonstrate the issue with loosing the ethernet connection.

I have since purchased the Unitek 3 port USB 2.0 Hub with IPad2 charger port, rated at 2amp and this works fine. Drives Mouse, Keyboard and Toshiba 500 Gbyte USB HDD.

Return to “Troubleshooting”