979
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:18 am

Can I connect my raspberry Pi to my laptop to increase performance?

Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:26 am

My laptop is really slow, so I'm wondering if I could connect my raspberry pi to it somehow to increase the performance.
If I don't put the os micro sd card into the raspberry pi and I connect it through USB or HDMI, would it help my main computer and make it faster? Or If I remove the os from the sd card and just use the sd with nothing on it, would it also give me extra computer storage when I plug it in as well as increasing my performance? And if it is possible, how could I do this correctly. Thanks :D.


wh7qq
Posts: 1326
Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:50 am

Re: Can I connect my raspberry Pi to my laptop to increase performance?

Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:05 am

The Pi (unless a 3B+) will probably not boot without a uSD card. As for increasing the laptop performance, I can't see a way it would help and the reverse might be true. You could prune any un-needed processes from the laptop, increase its memory or sub in a SSD. You might be able to boot from a USB connected SSD. In which case that would be faster than the spinning rust. If the system memory is 4G or better, you might get rid of the swap. A linux OS on the USB drive might be the fastest. Otherwise, spring for a better laptop.

fruitoftheloom
Posts: 20687
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:40 pm
Location: Delightful Dorset

Re: Can I connect my raspberry Pi to my laptop to increase performance?

Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:37 am

979 wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:26 am
My laptop is really slow, so I'm wondering if I could connect my raspberry pi to it somehow to increase the performance.
If I don't put the os micro sd card into the raspberry pi and I connect it through USB or HDMI, would it help my main computer and make it faster? Or If I remove the os from the sd card and just use the sd with nothing on it, would it also give me extra computer storage when I plug it in as well as increasing my performance? And if it is possible, how could I do this correctly. Thanks :D.

Totally ludicrous idea, the RPi is a Small Board Computer, not an add-on.


Do yourself a favour and take Windows of the Laptop and run Linux:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/r ... i-desktop/
Retired disgracefully.....

W. H. Heydt
Posts: 10883
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:36 pm
Location: Vallejo, CA (US)

Re: Can I connect my raspberry Pi to my laptop to increase performance?

Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:53 am

Think about this very carefully... Connecting a Pi without an SD card to your laptop is the very same thing as connecting a second laptop that doesn't have a disk drive (either SSD or HDD) in it. How do you think that would work? Do you think that two laptops 9one without a way to boot) would be faster than a single laptop? No? What you propose is the same thing, but with a Pi instead of a second laptop.

And...by the way, you're not the first person to ask if this would work.

LTolledo
Posts: 1942
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:29 am
Location: Anime Heartland

Re: Can I connect my raspberry Pi to my laptop to increase performance?

Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:48 am

Ditch the slow (windows?) laptop
move over to the RPi powered laptop (like the pi-Top)

or as fruitoftheloom suggested, ditch windows and install linux (or Raspberry Pi Desktop for PC) instead on the laptop.
"Don't come to me with 'issues' for I don't know how to deal with those
Come to me with 'problems' and I'll help you find solutions"

Some people be like:
"Help me! Am drowning! But dont you dare touch me nor come near me!"

hippy
Posts: 5942
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:34 pm
Location: UK

Re: Can I connect my raspberry Pi to my laptop to increase performance?

Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:47 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:37 am
Totally ludicrous idea, the RPi is a Small Board Computer, not an add-on.
It's not totally ludicrous. The Pi is both a small computer in its own right and an add-on, particularly when used as a USB gadget, or even networked.

The OP might not achieve exactly what they were hoping for but there are probably plenty of people who have improved their PC performance by off-loading things from the PC to their Pi. Just putting PiHole on a network can allow a lot of ad-blocking to be turned off on the PC which can improve performance.

fruitoftheloom
Posts: 20687
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:40 pm
Location: Delightful Dorset

Re: Can I connect my raspberry Pi to my laptop to increase performance?

Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:38 pm

hippy wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:47 pm
fruitoftheloom wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:37 am
Totally ludicrous idea, the RPi is a Small Board Computer, not an add-on.
It's not totally ludicrous. The Pi is both a small computer in its own right and an add-on, particularly when used as a USB gadget, or even networked.

The OP might not achieve exactly what they were hoping for but there are probably plenty of people who have improved their PC performance by off-loading things from the PC to their Pi. Just putting PiHole on a network can allow a lot of ad-blocking to be turned off on the PC which can improve performance.

That does not answer the OPs question what-so-ever !!
Retired disgracefully.....

W. H. Heydt
Posts: 10883
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:36 pm
Location: Vallejo, CA (US)

Re: Can I connect my raspberry Pi to my laptop to increase performance?

Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:24 pm

wh7qq wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:05 am
The Pi (unless a 3B+) will probably not boot without a uSD card.
The Pi3B and Pi2Bv1.2 (and the CM3/CM3L, for that matter) can have the OTP bit set to permit booting from a USB connected mass storage device. The difference with the Pi3B+ is that it can be done "out of the box", as the bit is set at the factory.

W. H. Heydt
Posts: 10883
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:36 pm
Location: Vallejo, CA (US)

Re: Can I connect my raspberry Pi to my laptop to increase performance?

Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:28 pm

hippy wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:47 pm
fruitoftheloom wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:37 am
Totally ludicrous idea, the RPi is a Small Board Computer, not an add-on.
It's not totally ludicrous. The Pi is both a small computer in its own right and an add-on, particularly when used as a USB gadget, or even networked.
Going to be a real problem trying to get a Pi3B+ to run in gadget mode. A Pi0/Pi0W? Trivially easy. An A+? Sure, but you'd have to reconfigure it to get it back out of gadget mode. Any B-series Pi? Nope. Not going to happen what with the LAN chip between the Pi and the connectors.

Now if a Pi3A/Pi3A+ were brought to market, then you could set up gadget mode.

lewmur
Posts: 371
Joined: Sun Dec 25, 2011 3:20 pm
Contact: Website

Re: Can I connect my raspberry Pi to my laptop to increase performance?

Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:51 pm

Even an old x86 laptop is probably more powerful the a Pi3B+. And it is also quite probable that it is Windows and not the hardware that is making the laptop slow. Search this forum for how to install Debian with the Raspbian Desktop on an x86 machine. That will do a lot to make any old laptop functional again.

fruitoftheloom
Posts: 20687
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:40 pm
Location: Delightful Dorset

Re: Can I connect my raspberry Pi to my laptop to increase performance?

Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:23 pm

lewmur wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:51 pm
Even an old x86 laptop is probably more powerful the a Pi3B+. And it is also quite probable that it is Windows and not the hardware that is making the laptop slow. Search this forum for how to install Debian with the Raspbian Desktop on an x86 machine. That will do a lot to make any old laptop functional again.

Yes that has already been stated above :roll:

Also it has zero to do with Raspbian as that Linux Distro does not run natively on x86 CPU Architecture... :shock:

It is "Debian Stretch with Raspberry Pi Desktop
"
Retired disgracefully.....

User avatar
DougieLawson
Posts: 36104
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:19 pm
Location: Basingstoke, UK
Contact: Website Twitter

Re: Can I connect my raspberry Pi to my laptop to increase performance?

Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:07 pm

I think the OP needs to read up on loosely couple multiprocessing vs tightly coupled multiprocessing and homogenous vs heterogenous computing systems.

Tightly coupled means shared memory, shared I/O busses and complex processor signalling of the type you'd get in a highly parallel clustered computer with a shared workload. In very highly parallel clustering the workload has to be broken into small chunks that can be run in parallel then the results are amalgamated to make a single results set as output. It also needs a very specialised OS and job scheduler to spread the work evenly across all of the engines.

Loosely coupled means shared disks, shared tape drives, shared networking but discrete encapsulated workloads (like a DRDA SQL request coming in from a device in the network) probably with a workload scheduler to ensure that one machine isn't overloaded while another is dormant. That's the sort of mainframe I work with (albeit that each machine is a "logical partition" on the same hardware they are physically separate for the purposes of this discussion).

Homogenous means all systems are identical, they run the same OS on the same processor architecture. Connecting two identical X86_64 laptops to the same disk array doesn't give you a single image computer with the power of two laptops (because things like screens and keyboards aren't easy to share). It may be homogenous but it would be a cumbersome and ludicrous beast.

Heterogenous means each system can be entirely different from every other (like X86 vs X86_64 vs ARM and running Windows vs Linux vs OSX and big-endian vs little-endian). Running that in a loosely coupled configuration generally buys you nothing. It's not much different to my X86_64 laptop running a 3270 emulator connected to a remote IBM zSeries mainframe. Or a bank ATM connected to their mainframe. What can you possibly offload to the second processor without introducing an emulation layer or only sending it trivial tasks (like reading a chip'n'pin (EMV card), digit entry on PIN pad entry & currency note counting)?
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

Return to “General discussion”