tinpanalley
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:34 am

Emulation question

Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:58 am

Surely there must be other options other than Retropie, aren't there? I have no problem with it, I'm just curious to see the options. Where can I look for a listing of other types of emulation engines like that?

Secondly, sort of related, is there any chance I could run an emulation tool like RetroPie and also run Kodi and just have a boot selection menu come up when I launch the RPi?

Thanks for any help!

fruitoftheloom
Posts: 19816
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:40 pm
Location: Delightful Dorset

Re: Emulation question

Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:10 am

tinpanalley wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:58 am
Surely there must be other options other than Retropie, aren't there? I have no problem with it, I'm just curious to see the options. Where can I look for a listing of other types of emulation engines like that?

Secondly, sort of related, is there any chance I could run an emulation tool like RetroPie and also run Kodi and just have a boot selection menu come up when I launch the RPi?

Thanks for any help!

viewtopic.php?f=78&t=54357


Kodi or Retropie are not actual Operating Systems par se...

Retropie is a collection of software pre-installed on Raspbian Stretch Lite.

Kodi is installable software, though some OSes use it a a Desktop Environment.
adieu

My other Computer is an Asus CS10 ChromeBit running Chrome Operating System.
HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer supported by HPLIP software in Raspbian Buster.
Raspberry Pi Model 2B v1.1

tinpanalley
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:34 am

Re: Emulation question

Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:44 am

fruitoftheloom wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:10 am
Kodi or Retropie are not actual Operating Systems par se...
Retropie is a collection of software pre-installed on Raspbian Stretch Lite.
Kodi is installable software, though some OSes use it a a Desktop Environment.
Thanks for the reply and the link. But, I'm a bit confused with the OS info, I didn't call it them OSes?
Ok, so RetroPie has essentially become popular because of its offering several different emulators in one place. I figured one could run some very rudimentary OS with links to each emulator instead, but I was specifically asking if there were other types of all-in-ones like RetroPie. I'll explore that link, not sure what it is exactly with specific relation to my question.
And so, do you know if the possibility of a menu that lets me start up and select something like EmulationStation or my LibreElec Kodi install is possible?

fruitoftheloom
Posts: 19816
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:40 pm
Location: Delightful Dorset

Re: Emulation question

Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:38 pm

tinpanalley wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:44 am
fruitoftheloom wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:10 am
Kodi or Retropie are not actual Operating Systems par se...
Retropie is a collection of software pre-installed on Raspbian Stretch Lite.
Kodi is installable software, though some OSes use it a a Desktop Environment.
Thanks for the reply and the link. But, I'm a bit confused with the OS info, I didn't call it them OSes?
Ok, so RetroPie has essentially become popular because of its offering several different emulators in one place. I figured one could run some very rudimentary OS with links to each emulator instead, but I was specifically asking if there were other types of all-in-ones like RetroPie. I'll explore that link, not sure what it is exactly with specific relation to my question.
And so, do you know if the possibility of a menu that lets me start up and select something like EmulationStation or my LibreElec Kodi install is possible?


Actually Retropie has an option to boot into Kodi or Emulation software:

https://github.com/RetroPie/RetroPie-Se ... op-or-kodi
adieu

My other Computer is an Asus CS10 ChromeBit running Chrome Operating System.
HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer supported by HPLIP software in Raspbian Buster.
Raspberry Pi Model 2B v1.1

tinpanalley
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:34 am

Re: Emulation question

Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:58 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:38 pm
Actually Retropie has an option to boot into Kodi or Emulation software:
Hmm.. but I would want that to come up every time I reboot, this looks like something you determine once when setting up the Pi.

fruitoftheloom
Posts: 19816
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:40 pm
Location: Delightful Dorset

Re: Emulation question

Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:16 pm

tinpanalley wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:58 pm
fruitoftheloom wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:38 pm
Actually Retropie has an option to boot into Kodi or Emulation software:
Hmm.. but I would want that to come up every time I reboot, this looks like something you determine once when setting up the Pi.

Try PiNN it is a Operating System installer / Chooser and has a few extras:

viewtopic.php?t=142574
adieu

My other Computer is an Asus CS10 ChromeBit running Chrome Operating System.
HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer supported by HPLIP software in Raspbian Buster.
Raspberry Pi Model 2B v1.1

Return to “Gaming”