Switzer

Need help to run Chromium browser at power on

Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:40 am

Hi All,
I am an absolute newcomer to the Raspberry Pi world. I have just bought a Pi3 and am looking to learn the basics from the bottom up.
I have the operating software installed and working and next thing I am looking to do is to have, the chromium browser for example, start on initial power on.
I have tried reading in to this but still feel swamped about how many different ways there are to do this, via different file routes.
Which method is the simplest to be walked through and also the least stressful on the computer itself? I have tried already in editing the autostart file but am being shown an error on trying to save this, being told that I "Can't open the file to write".

Thanks in advance for the help :)

klricks

Re: Complete Newbie

Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:18 pm

Please edit the title of your original post to make it meaningful as to what you need help with.

I don't know why your are getting that error? You should post the exact command that gave the error.

To start the web browser using autostart do this:

Open the autostart file using the Nano editor:

Code: Select all

nano /home/pi/.config/lxsession/LXDE-pi/autostart
Add this to the end of autostart:

Code: Select all

@chromium-browser www.raspberrypi.org
Save and exit by typing CTRL x then answer y

logout and back in to desktop or reboot
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated Raspbian Buster w/ Desktop OS.

The Traveler

Re: Complete Newbie

Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:33 pm

Which method is the simplest to be walked through and also the least stressful on the computer itself?
Don't autostart it.
Retired IT professional, C programmer and "beardie weirdie".
RPi interests: Developing an Infinite Improbability Drive
“Thinking outside of the box allows you to get rewards outside of your reach.” Matshona Dhliwayo

Return to “Beginners”