jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: A new level of seasickness - Or how I learnt to stop worrying and love the new website

Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:11 am

Imperf3kt wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:16 pm
I don't really mind the changes, its just the fact that the new changes don't seem to work across all browsers.
I'm starting to think maybe I should jump on my PC and have a squiz at exactly what happens under the hood.
I think a bunch of fixes went in yesterday for some browser issues, might be worth trying again.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Please direct all questions to the forum, I do not do support via PM.

fruitoftheloom

Re: A new level of seasickness - Or how I learnt to stop worrying and love the new website

Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:03 am

I am running Lubuntu 18.04 LTS on a x86 Laptop with a 15" screen running at 1200x800 and use Chromium Browser v67

The home page is full width, whilst other main ages are not and every time I place my mouse cursor on the "Raspberry Icon" it actually disappears so have to click and hope.

Also sub pages are inconsistent width, one should either define a set page width or make all page auto max wide.

Generally it is mess, whether one uses a Desktop Version, Mobile Version or Mobile Desktop Version, each scenario with Chrome / Chromium Browser, to many inconsistencies which is a real shame.
Adieu

hippy

Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:56 am

jamesh wrote:
I think a bunch of fixes went in yesterday for some browser issues, might be worth trying again.
I'm now finding the "Buy" has stopped animating on the home page, works on other pages - where it sometimes jams-up in its mouse-over state, during which time other animations stop working.

And when one item animates the text on others moves, ripples or alters. Looks awful.

Don't know what happened to the blog but that's now taking ages to load. ABP is reporting dozens of things blocked on blog pages and elsewhere though I haven't figured out how to get it to show what it's blocking yet. The number of things blocked seems to vary on each page visit, randomly increments over time or as page scrolls. High score of 43 blocks on the main blog page so far.

TBH I only visit the home page to see what's been happening, what's been added to the blog, so I'll just have to remember to go straight to the blog archive. I'll probably scrape the home and archive page, create my own local page how I like it, and go through that.

At least that fits with the ethos of the Pi: Don't just be a consumer; take things into your own hands, make it how you want. A $10 Pi is perfect for doing that.

bensimmo

Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:31 am

hippy wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:56 am
jamesh wrote:
I'm now finding the "Buy" has stopped animating on the home page, works on other pages - where it sometimes jams-up in its mouse-over state, during which time other animations stop working.

And when one item animates the text on others moves, ripples or alters. Looks awful.

Don't know what happened to the blog but that's now taking ages to load. ABP is reporting dozens of things blocked on blog pages and elsewhere though I haven't figured out how to get it to show what it's blocking yet. The number of things blocked seems to vary on each page visit, randomly increments over time or as page scrolls. High score of 43 blocks on the main blog page so far.

TBH I only visit the home page to see what's been happening, what's been added to the blog, so I'll just have to remember to go straight to the blog archive. I'll probably scrape the home and archive page, create my own local page how I like it, and go through that.

At least that fits with the ethos of the Pi: Don't just be a consumer; take things into your own hands, make it how you want. A $10 Pi is perfect for doing that.
The good old days of RSS feeds.

hippy

Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:20 pm

bensimmo wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:31 am
The good old days of RSS feeds.
I had initially thought and written that but, having checked, the RSS feed only includes the most recent blog entries.

One can use the RSS feed to determine if there's been an update, but to have a list of everything means tracking and collating the feed items and it's simpler to scrape the page which has everything on it.

Forris
Raspberry Pi Certified Educator
Raspberry Pi Certified Educator

Re: A new level of seasickness

Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:26 pm

W. H. Heydt wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:36 pm
That kind of begs the question.... Yes, the target audience for the *Pi* is kids, often relatively young kids. But shouldn't the web site be attractive to the kids *parents* (or, in my case, grandparents) who will be--at least initially--looking for information, advice, and help in getting their kids (grandkids) started with the Raspberry Pi? , Is this a case of designing the web site for the target population for the product instead of for the population that will be buying the product, which may very well be a radically different group?
Yes! This is something we come across time after time in Codeclub or at Jams. I speak to a lot of parents that say they've had a Pi for a while, or are thinking about getting one, but just don't know what to do with it. There needs to be a nice, clear button, picture, or menu option on the landing page (that doesn't require any scrolling) that directs these people (ie. the target customer) to the projects / tutorials pages.

Also, agreeing with Mike;
A word about navigation. The headings at the top are fine, but you're missing an easy-to-find link to the Projects sub-site (which still doesn't have a way to search it or to see what's new, but that's how it's been since resources were first added to the site, unfortunately). The nav on the Forums doesn't match style-wise, either.

Make something with code is so far down the page, I would probably have got bored if I was a kid, which I think is what the page has been designed for. This is where your rich content is - the how-to activity guides on projects.raspberrypi.org. You should probably be treating the projects content as the jewel in the crown, but that's just my opinion.
Digital Making is at the core of the RPF message, but it's not getting the billing that it should. The previous iteration of the page had the 'Projects' tab tucked away under 'Education' (which meant kids and parents went nowhere near it!), so at least that has been separated now, but it still needs more prominence, IMHO.

Gavinmc42

Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:52 am

Digital Making is at the core of the RPF message, but it's not getting the billing that it should. The previous iteration of the page had the 'Projects' tab tucked away under 'Education' (which meant kids and parents went nowhere near it!), so at least that has been separated now, but it still needs more prominence, IMHO.
I agree.
Even blinking a LED that goes on the GPIO is a big deal as it forms the impression kids( and adults) have control over something in their lives.
I'm hardware guy so the GPIO header is the Pi's best feature as it connects to stuff.
If Pi's did not have that then it is just a box that runs software, still useful but limited to those mostly interested in software.

Is there too many images on the front page taking up too much room and hence more scrolling is needed?
Putting the buy right up front when a first time visitor has no idea what the Pi can do, is that a good place to put it?
Sometimes I feel web designers are putting to many feel good images/vids in just because they can, but no content or information.

A smaller front page with links to features visitors need more info on?
What is the Raspberry Pi?, how much does it cost,how many versions are there, What cant do, were can you get it, how to connect to hardware, how to write software, resources etc. It could be just me but I prefer that all on one page at a single glance. Less fluff more information?
I'm dancing on Rainbows.
Raspberries are not Apples or Oranges

gkreidl

Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:18 am

Gavinmc42 wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:52 am
I agree.
Even blinking a LED that goes on the GPIO is a big deal as it forms the impression kids( and adults) have control over something in their lives.
I'm hardware guy so the GPIO header is the Pi's best feature as it connects to stuff.
If Pi's did not have that then it is just a box that runs software, still useful but limited to those mostly interested in software.

Is there too many images on the front page taking up too much room and hence more scrolling is needed?
Putting the buy right up front when a first time visitor has no idea what the Pi can do, is that a good place to put it?
Sometimes I feel web designers are putting to many feel good images/vids in just because they can, but no content or information.

A smaller front page with links to features visitors need more info on?
What is the Raspberry Pi?, how much does it cost,how many versions are there, What cant do, were can you get it, how to connect to hardware, how to write software, resources etc. It could be just me but I prefer that all on one page at a single glance. Less fluff more information?
After staying on the start page for about 30 seconds, a visitor should be able to answer himself two questions:
What is a Raspberry Pi?
What is the RPF?

A series of expressive links should lead to all further information. Instead of "Download" it might be "Download free operating systems", instead of "Blog" it might be "Latest news and hundreds of articles in our blog" etc.
3 Images would be enough: a board (with a text link like "More about the boards and how to buy them"), a MagPi with an underline (link) like "Magazines, books and other resources") and some kind of social event (e. g. kids working in a code club) with a matching underline ...

If it is well done, it wouldn't even require scrolling (on a normal computer screen at least).

And the page should load within a second on a Raspberry Pi (in every kind of browser).

The Foundation could run a simple test with the current design: Invite a number of people who don't know anything about the RPi to have a look at the current website (without clicking any further link) for 30 to 60 seconds and ask them afterwards: What's this all about?
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

W. H. Heydt

Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:10 pm

Reading this thread, one thing has struck me... It seems like everything needs to be top center so that people looking for that particular item can find it immediately. Can anyone think of some things that can be reasonably shoved down far enough to require scrolling? Or should the immediately visible part of the page be nothing but a vast sea of links to various topics?

Imperf3kt

Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:31 pm

jamesh wrote:
Imperf3kt wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:16 pm
I don't really mind the changes, its just the fact that the new changes don't seem to work across all browsers.
I'm starting to think maybe I should jump on my PC and have a squiz at exactly what happens under the hood.
No luck.
Clicking 'remember me' while trying to login to the forums takes to to the Raspberry blogs.
Clicking 'login' takes me to the Raspbian downloads psage.

I can live with using a new browser, but should this be happening? I doubt it.
User experiencing technical difficulties.

hippy

Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:02 am

W. H. Heydt wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:10 pm
Can anyone think of some things that can be reasonably shoved down far enough to require scrolling? Or should the immediately visible part of the page be nothing but a vast sea of links to various topics?
The way many sites get round that problem is to have a carousel at the top of the page which cycles through linked images with a short description enticing a click towards 'further information'.

hippy

Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:06 pm

I have just had the opportunity to visit the new home page on a system which supports full-size 1080p display and I must say the experience there is 'infinitely better'.

Things are better laid out, smaller and more compact. The animations are more muted, and despite having scope for improvement I would classify it as "okay".

So it all comes down to it not working well on smaller screens. For example the compact 2.5" x 3.5" magazine cover images on the 23" 1080p screen become huge 9" x 13" behemoths on my 15" 800x600 display. Even a single image doesn't fit on the screen.

What fits in a neat 17" x 4" row on the 24" monitor takes up 7" x 60" on the 15". Yes, that's 5 feet of scrolling !

In fact, though far from perfect, it looks better on my 3.5" 320x480 mobile phone where the scaling is better, two magazine covers fit alongside each other.

I have no idea why the cover images are around 160 pixels wide on my phone and 1080p but, about 600 wide on my 15" monitor. Firefox and Chrome both show the same. I guess that's what's making it so bad for me.

I'm all for sites adjusting themselves to suit the size of screen but it seems that just isn't working for 800x600.

The Traveler

Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:35 pm

While is a bit OT, I'm tossing this in for those who may be looking for a good way to produce their own website or webpages for their RPi project. I'm a huge fan of using Responsive Web Design because one can do a lot with just HTML and CSS. I don't really care for javascripting much, but with judicious use in a RWD designed site, javascript can be less obtrusive and more efficient I think.

Responsive Design principals and practices for web site design. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Responsive_web_design for a general overview.

http://thenewcode.com/925/Web-Developer ... ive-Design for a good series of articles about practical application of RWD.
Retired IT professional, C programmer and "beardie weirdie".
RPi interests: Developing an Infinite Improbability Drive
“Thinking outside of the box allows you to get rewards outside of your reach.” Matshona Dhliwayo

piglet

Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:27 pm

On Firefox none of the buy->retailer links work any longer.

hippy

Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:50 pm

piglet wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:27 pm
On Firefox none of the buy->retailer links work any longer.
Have never worked for me. I had presumed that was just my using an older version of Firefox. Copy Link Location then pasting in the address bar was my solution.

ejolson

Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:18 pm

I just updated my Pi bookmark to

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/

so it points directly to the forums, because the new front page was locking up the browser on my phone about half the time.

As someone who considers the way the Raspberry Pi promotes computer literacy important, it is discouraging to see the results of so much effort spent. I wonder how the new webpage works with the Epiphany browser? Has anyone tried it with Dillo or Lynx?

BillStephenson

Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:53 pm

I was sure shocked with the new design!

I love it. I think it's "snappy!"

Made me realize I need to check in more often too. I've been coding so much lately I've hardly looked up. But I've sort of caught up for the moment and thought I'd stop by to see what's been going on here.

Obviously a lot!

Return to “General discussion”