saihoufung

Raspberry Pi 3B+ overheating during zero activity or low activity (PiAware & Dump1090-fa Installed)

Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:29 pm

Hello there,

I purchased this Raspberry Pi 3B+ from RS Malaysia (Sent out from RS Global [UK Warehouse]). OS of course is the latest version of the Raspbian Stretch either Desktop or Lite tested. FYI, this Pi only need to run very light weight of deb package from FlightAware Dump1090-fa as well as PiAware. Which is almost without any heavy run on CPU as well as RAM.

I bought the Official white 5.1V 2.5A Power Adapter at the same time.

Raspberry Pi 3B+ itself equipped with metal casing for CPU, of course I don't think it is best idea to run it 7/24/365 without heat-sink. I installed heat-sink on to the CPU as well as the USB/Ethernet chip (LAN7515).

The CPU temperature can reach 65°C to 69/71°C easily and the LAN7515 Chip also very HOT to touch. I lodge report to RS where I purchase the Pi and they resent me a NEW Raspberry Pi. I received it and do the same thing (installing heat-sink to both CHPU & LAN7515 chip). Run the Newly received Pi and check with the

Code: Select all

while true; do /opt/vc/bin/vcgencmd measure_temp && sleep 1;done
The CPU temperature get higher and higher after few minutes of running and the same temperature hitting 65°C -68°C for the newly replacement board.

As per what official test for the CPU temperature is always LOWER than the OLD Raspberry Pi 3B. But to my case, both the Raspberry Pi 3B+ I have have the same issue.

Any idea on how to fix it?

*Official Power Supply used.
*CPU installed with heat-sink with 3M thermal heat pad(white)
*Updated OS by sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade -y

I have done so many times by relacing the microSD card as well...

I have few previous model of Raspberry Pi 3B and it works very well as CPU temperature is always around 60°C with heat-sink installed within Raspberry Pi 3B (RED/White cover lid) casing.

Thank you for reading.

bertlea

Re: Raspberry Pi 3B+ overheating during zero activity or low activity (PiAware & Dump1090-fa Installed)

Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:46 am

Are you running the latest Raspbian Stretch with latest updates (June 2018) or the previous version (April 2018)? Also, what is your room temperature during the tests? If your room temperature is around 26 degree (not too cold), I think your findings are normal or at least very close to mine.

If you put your Pi in the official case (red/white) and closed the lid, the new P3B+ is indeed hotter than the older P3B. Because the P3P+ is running faster (hotter) before throttling at 70 degree ( or 60 degree if latest June update). Heat-sink do NOT help much in such small closed enclose. For the same reason, P3B+ heat spreading design will not help too. If you are browsing some sites with animations or even watch youtube then indeed P3B+ can reach 70 degree easily. I found that it stays around 55 degree even when I open the lid in a room at 25 degree when it is doing nothing (less than 2% CPU usage). The P3B+ shall only running cooler when it is not in an closed enclosure and maybe with some good air flows.

saihoufung

Re: Raspberry Pi 3B+ overheating during zero activity or low activity (PiAware & Dump1090-fa Installed)

Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:57 am

Hi,

Thanks for the sharing info.

Room temperature is around 29°C to 32°C.

Updated to the latest Stretch. I normally check update every 2 days.

With LID Cover, CPU temperature is 65°C - 71°C.

Without LID Cover, CPU temperature is around 58°C - 62°C.

***Heat Sink is over size of 35 * 35 * 10(h) with the 3M White Thermal PAD / Adhesive.***

Pi 3B+ is higher CPU temperature than the Pi 3B with LID Cover or without LID cover, I think I will get the FLIRC case to solve this over heat issue.

Regards.

bertlea

Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:12 am

Yes, FLIRC or similar heat-sink case is the best solution so far I can find. But since the Pi will throttle at 60 or 70 degree, I think there is nothing to worry unless you need it keep running fast all the time.

saihoufung

Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:22 am

As it is only runs on FlightAware PiAware & the dump1090-fa for 24/7 non-stop. I think FLIRC is the only solution to ensure that the CPU temperature is mild.

Regards.

jahboater

Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:27 am

bertlea wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:46 am
Are you running the latest Raspbian Stretch with latest updates (June 2018) or the previous version (April 2018)? Also, what is your room temperature during the tests? If your room temperature is around 26 degree (not too cold), I think your findings are normal or at least very close to mine.
In free air, at 21C ambient, my Pi3+ idles at 37C.

Thats using the Kintaro heatsink.
https://www.kintaro.co/products/kintaro-custom-heatsink

Running a trivial load to use all four cores

Code: Select all

yes >/dev/null & yes >/dev/null & yes >/dev/null & yes >/dev/null &
It reaches 52C after 10 minutes or so.

Running a deliberate stress test (cpuburn) it eventually reaches 70C.
In the early days of the old Pi3, this stress test would crash the Pi in a few seconds.
Later after the voltages had been tuned in Raspbian it remained stable but throttled almost immediately.
The new pi3+ is far far better in this respect.
Last edited by jahboater on Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

saihoufung

Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:33 am

Thanks for sharing the "Kintaro" Special Heat Sink. It looks good, can have a try.

Regards.

jahboater

Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:41 am

You can get it from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kintaro-Raspbe ... B07CTSNZYK

Make sure you get the new 3B+ (plus) version.

Its obviously more expensive than the usual small stick-on heat sinks, but it is far more effective.
Because it is bolted on, you can use a proper TIM (thermal paste) - which is included.
It also cools the USB/ethernet chip.

saihoufung

Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:38 am

Thanks for the info of Kintaro Heat Sink. I have checked, seller not ship to my country. So sad, will look for other solution.

Regards.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:21 am

Note that overheating is only above 85c. Your temperatures, although hot, are not actually overheating.

I run Pi3B+ without a heatsink, no case, in an air conditioned office, so about 24c, it's running idle at 45.6c. Running a few simple programs, bumps up to 57c.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

jahboater

Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:28 am

jamesh wrote:
I run Pi3B+ without a heatsink, no case, in an air conditioned office, so about 24c, it's running idle at 45.6c. Running a few simple programs, bumps up to 57c.
The thermal inertia of the new Pi3B+ is now very good because the entire PCB ground-plane acts as a heat sink - which means that you should be able to run a heavy load for several minutes before the temp rises too far and it throttles.

jamesh

Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:40 am

jahboater wrote:
jamesh wrote:
The thermal inertia of the new Pi3B+ is now very good because the entire PCB ground-plane acts as a heat sink - which means that you should be able to run a heavy load for several minutes before the temp rises too far and it throttles.
Exactly. And the reason we still don't supply a heatsink.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

saihoufung

Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:26 pm

jamesh wrote:
jahboater wrote:
jamesh wrote:
Exactly. And the reason we still don't supply a heatsink.
Yeah.I tested mine in the Air-Conditioned office / room, of course the CPU temp is idle at approx 52°C with LID covered. Tested also without LID Covered, the CPU temperature is approx 47°C.

rpdom

Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:00 pm

Room temperature 25.250°C
Raspi 3B+ temperature 60.686°C

Official case with lid on.

Nothing major running on it yet.

jahboater

Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:02 pm

rpdom wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:00 pm
Room temperature 25.250°C
Raspi 3B+ temperature 60.686°C

Official case with lid on.

Nothing major running on it yet.
With the latest Rasbian, that should be throttling whilst idle :(
Or have you added the temp_soft_limit fix?

A delta-T of 35.4C is not good cooling by the sound of it.

DougieLawson

Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:07 pm

saihoufung wrote:
Hello there,

I purchased this Raspberry Pi 3B+ from RS Malaysia (Sent out from RS Global [UK Warehouse]). OS of course is the latest version of the Raspbian Stretch either Desktop or Lite tested. FYI, this Pi only need to run very light weight of deb package from FlightAware Dump1090-fa as well as PiAware. Which is almost without any heavy run on CPU as well as RAM.

Your version of dump1090-fa must be a long way different to mine. It's running 30% of one CPU on my 3B (with 35 aircraft visible in my part of the sky).
Criticising any questions is banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
All fake doctors are on my foes list.

Note: Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

saihoufung

Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:55 pm

DougieLawson wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:07 pm
saihoufung wrote:
Hello there,

Your version of dump1090-fa must be a long way different to mine. It's running 30% of one CPU on my 3B (with 35 aircraft visible in my part of the sky).

Mine dump1090-fa is 3.5.3, and the max amount of aircraft ADSB detected / received is approx 22 and in a normal time will be 10-16 aircraft, so I guess the processing from the CPU will be lighter / lesser.

DougieLawson

Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:59 pm

I don't think so, as it's constantly decoding the mode-S and ADS-B messages from any aircraft in view. It's a CPU hog. The USB RTL-SDR is a power hog (it don't half run hot).

Note: Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

saihoufung

Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:13 pm

DougieLawson wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:59 pm
I don't think so, as it's constantly decoding the mode-S and ADS-B messages from any aircraft in view. It's a CPU hog. The USB RTL-SDR is a power hog (it don't half run hot).
Hello,

Thanks for the info. Yeah, I hope you are correct.

I will try to get source for the Customize Heat Sink to cover the CPU & the USB Hub & Ethernet LAN7515 Chip to cool it down naturally.

Regards.

DougieLawson

Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:58 pm

You do NOT need a heatsink on a 3B+. No matter what you're running, they're purely cosmetic.

saihoufung

Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:12 am

DougieLawson wrote:
You do NOT need a heatsink on a 3B+. No matter what you're running, they're purely cosmetic.
Oh... Really? Thanks for the advise. Yeah, without heat sink the CPU temperature also almost the same as with heat sink attached (just few °C different, not much).

I will monitoring the Pi's condition and see what to do.

Regards.

jahboater

Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:37 pm

DougieLawson wrote:
Its not cosmetic for me Dougie, it gives me (at least) another 200MHz of CPU performance for very long running heavy loads (when its needed most).

Return to “Troubleshooting”