LinuxKoku

[Solved] Boot a Raspberry PI 3 from a USB mass storage device

Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:28 am

Bonjour,

I worked on a project of a passenger counting system for a bus with a Raspberry PI 3, because of the vibrations of the bus, the micro SD is not stable, so I wanted to put the OS on USB , so a boot with USB key, to do this, I followed your tutorial (https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... des/msd.md), by copying the OS from the SD card to the USB key with Win32 Disk Imager by following this tutorial (https://blog.shevarezo.fr/post/2015/06/ ... spberry-pi), after shutting down the raspberry PI 3 and unplugging the SD card, I put the USB key with the OS copied, and I turned on the RPI3, but after it displays the screen in color then the 4 raspberries, after 10s I have this message that appears (see picture below) then everything stops and start does not continue!

:?: In your opinion, it is the USB key that is not compatible as it says here (https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/pi-3-b ... rage-boot/)? Or I forgot something?
Attachments
1-ConvertImage.jpg
1-ConvertImage.jpg (80.34 KiB) Viewed 1457 times
Last edited by LinuxKoku on Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thank you all :)

epoch1970

Re: Boot a Raspberry PI 3 from a USB mass storage device

Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:49 am

On the OS that resides on the USB, you have to change cmdline.txt and also /etc/fstab so that they stop making reference to mmcblk0p2 and instead replace that with the device name of the USB stick.

It should work with "/dev/sda2" assuming you don't connect another USB mass storage device to the Pi.

It is better to use an UUID and not a kernel device name: one day /dev/sda might turn into /dev/sdb.
I'm not clear as to which UUID is the right one to use in cmdline.txt. It's been discussed before, look around.
"S'il n'y a pas de solution, c'est qu'il n'y a pas de problème." Les Shadoks, J. Rouxel

B.Goode

Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:49 am

I followed your tutorial (https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... des/msd.md), by copying the OS from the SD card to the USB key with Win32 Disk Imager

Have you tried installing a fresh download of the current Raspbian Operating System image directly onto the usb key? (This is not equivalent to what you say you have done, since some modifications are made to the installed operating system when it is first booted. So what is on your working microSD card is no longer identical to the downloaded official image.)

(If your usb memory key were incompatible I think it is more likely that the RPi would fail to boot at all.)

LTolledo

Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:58 am

As you did not specify what USB flash memory/thumbdrive/stick/key (USB Flash) that you used, let me enumerate to you what worked with my Raspberry Pi 3 Model B

1. Sandisk Cruzer Fit 8GB, 16GB, 32GB, 64GB, 128GB
2. Sandisk Cruzer Blade 16GB
3. Toshiba Flash Memory 16GB
4. Transcend JetFlash 300 16GB

Also successfully tried booting from Sandisk 240GB SSD using Eluteng SATA to USB3.0 adaptor cable.

As there are also fake USB Flash as fake microSD cards its best to get genuine ones. If still in doubt test the USB Flash in a windows pc using H2testw.
"Don't come to me with 'issues' for I don't know how to deal with those
Come to me with 'problems' and I'll help you find solutions"

Some people be like:
"Help me! Am drowning! But dont you dare touch me nor come near me!"

LinuxKoku

Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:13 pm

Hello, thank you for your answers

:!: I did not program the USB boot mode on the USB key! I copied the OS before configuring the USB boot mode on the SD card, I think that comes from the the problem! I copy the SD card to the USB and then I put the SD card to configure it in USB mode, I restarted the Raspberry PI and then I deleted the added line to use the SD card elsewhere, after that I connected the USB and turned on.
epoch1970 wrote: On the OS that resides on the USB, you have to change cmdline.txt and also /etc/fstab so that they stop making reference to mmcblk0p2 and instead replace that with the device name of the USB stick. ........
I did not understand or put these changes! on the SD card before the copied?
B.Goode wrote:
Have you tried installing a fresh download of the current Raspbian Operating System image directly onto the usb key?.......
(If your usb memory key were incompatible I think it is more likely that the RPi would fail to boot at all.)
I also think that this is another problem than the USB, but otherwise, I have already done a lot of configuration on the Raspberry PI, so I would like to work with this OS already configured!
For the version of the OS I have already accidentally updated my RaspberryPI see this post (viewtopic.php?f=91&t=214889&p=1322644#p1322644)
Last edited by LinuxKoku on Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.

B.Goode

Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:15 pm

This is the English language section of the forum.

That was in response to material posted here in French: that has now been modified.
Last edited by B.Goode on Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

B.Goode

Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:19 pm

Just to prove that the process works, follow the Raspberry Pi Foundation documentation and install the standard Raspbian Operating System image to a usb device and check that your RPi will boot from it.

Then you can move onto the more complex issue of migration of an existing installation...

At present you have too little experience and too many unknowns.

LinuxKoku

Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:20 pm

B.Goode wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:15 pm
This is the English language section of the forum.
Sorry, it was the google translator who translated me automatically! I corrected.

LinuxKoku

Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:36 pm

Thank you for your answer,
B.Goode wrote: Just to prove that the process works, follow the Raspberry Pi Foundation documentation and install the standard Raspbian Operating System image to a usb device and check that your RPi will boot from it.
I will follow your suggestion, I will inform you of the result

LinuxKoku

Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:12 pm

Hello,

I just installed on the USB the official Raspbian version and it works! so as you said B.Goode, it's a problem when copying my SD card but I think I redo my configurations and stay on this version, so thank you for your help

Return to “Raspbian”