gagetegreat

What is a good site to get working roms from?

Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:35 pm

I'm to buy a Raspberry pi to use to play retro games but the site I used for roms has been taken down. So if anyone knows a virus free site with roms that actually work please tell me. Thanks.

Z80 Refugee

Re: What is a good site to get working rooms from?

Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:45 pm

How about getting the title right, so we know you are talking about ROMs (note capitals) without having to open the thread?
Military and Automotive Electronics Design Engineer (retired)

For the best service: make your thread title properly descriptive, and put all relevant details in the first post (including links - don't make us search)!

Paeryn

Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:49 pm

Unless you are after genuine, legally free games (i.e. not commercial games) then you are on your own. Distributing copies of commercial games is illegal and if anybody is daft enough to give you a link to somewhere then the RPF are likely to delete such information posthaste.
She who travels light — forgot something.

The Traveler

Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:56 pm

... but the site I used for roms has been taken down ...
I don't suppose you stopped and asked yourself why ...

https://www.nintendo.com/corp/legal.jsp#download_rom
Isn't it Okay to Download Nintendo ROMs for Games that are No Longer Distributed in the Stores or Commercially Exploited? Aren't They Considered "Public Domain"?

No, the current availability of a game in stores is irrelevant as to its copyright status. Copyrights do not enter the public domain just because they are no longer commercially exploited or widely available. Therefore, the copyrights of games are valid even if the games are not found on store shelves, and using, copying and/or distributing those games is a copyright infringement.
Pretty much says it all right there.
Retired IT professional, C programmer and "beardie weirdie".
RPi interests: Developing an Infinite Improbability Drive
“Thinking outside of the box allows you to get rewards outside of your reach.” Matshona Dhliwayo

Return to “General discussion”