Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:01 pm

5ft24dave wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:12 pm
RaTTuS wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:31 pm
5ft24dave wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:37 pm
... Cisco DPC3941T gateway....
my betting it is this that is causing issues and even a NIC switch may help in between
I do have a little 8 port Netgear Gigabit switch I can put in there and try.
I'll do that tonight after work and see what happens
Switch didn't help. Figured out why it comes back after the crash... The UPS-Pico hat on it will pulse the reset pin if it loses the heartbeat on the GPIO without there being a shutdown command performed. Disconnected the reset from the UPS-Pico, and now it does indeed crash It is also doing it via wifi only Had to drop arm_freq=1000 to get it to stay up

bensimmo

Re: Raspberry Pi 3 B+ lockups

Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:29 am

Proxx wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:21 pm
Woohoo 12days uptime after setting ram to 450

my question now is, can i get a replacement?

This board is out of spec isnt it?
RAM speed is not specified. I belive all Pi3B+ shoudl now run at a slower than originally intended RAM speed with up to date firmware

Gavinmc42

Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:52 am

I did check the data sheet , the Elpida DDR2 is rated to 400MHz.
DRAM 100MHz, DDR is 200MHz, DDR2 is 400MHz some to 533MHz
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DDR_SDRAM
Data rate is not clock rate.

500MHz might be pushing it a bit much, 450MHz may be ok most of the time, 400MHz 100% of the time.
Generally process improvements mean speed can go up a little, 400 to 500 maybe too much?
Sometimes die shrinks can do this too, make the parts cheaper and faster.

From reading a few posts and my own experience.
CPU speed >1200MHz, DDR > 450MHz, as yet unknown LAN issue is causing problems.
I only have one Pi3B+ that locks up, dropping CPU to 1300MHz fixed it.

Pushing parts past specs in not out of spec. the spec is the rating all of them work at, all the time.
Most will work beyond that, 0 to 70 is normal spec, if they are only at 25C they could run much faster etc.
Normalized probability distribution curves.
A few million chips, there will be outliers, both ways, there will be some that work fine at 1600MHz :lol:
I'm dancing on Rainbows.
Raspberries are not Apples or Oranges

LTolledo

Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:30 am

Am currently running my RPi3B+ in a system previously occupied by an RPi3B (migrated ALL software and external hardware)

Prior to the switch I test run the RPi3B+ with a fresh image of Raspbian Stretch with Desktop on a microSD card, and ran some of my preferred installation packages, played with it for a day (bare naked/ without a case)

Then repeat the test run with a fresh image of Raspbian Stretch with Desktop on a USB flash memory for pure USB boot, and ran again my preferred installation packages and played with it for another day (still bare naked/ without a case)

After confirming everything was OK I made the switch, and switch from WiFi only to Ethernet only.

Never had I have any lockups with my RPi3B+, and am currently logged and writing this on this forum using my RPi3B+

I'd like participate replicating some of the problems (sorry I dont/never deal with "issues") stated here after I get my next 2 RPi3B+.
"Don't come to me with 'issues' for I don't know how to deal with those
Come to me with 'problems' and I'll help you find solutions"

Some people be like:
"Help me! Am drowning! But dont you dare touch me nor come near me!"

5ft24dave

Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:57 pm

here is what finally stopped the crashes (reboots if I left the UPS-Pico reset pin active)

over_voltage=4
over_voltage_sdram=4
arm_freq=1100
sdram_freq=450

[email protected]:~# uptime
15:54:59 up 4 days, 4:32, 1 user, load average: 0.22, 0.30, 0.28
[email protected]:~#

ejolson

Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:09 pm

5ft24dave wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:57 pm
here is what finally stopped the crashes (reboots if I left the UPS-Pico reset pin active)

over_voltage=4
over_voltage_sdram=4
arm_freq=1100
sdram_freq=450

[email protected]:~# uptime
15:54:59 up 4 days, 4:32, 1 user, load average: 0.22, 0.30, 0.28
[email protected]:~#
The over voltages seem extreme to me. If you slow clock speeds further, can you drop the over voltage to +2 instead?

5ft24dave

Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:42 pm

I'll give that a shot and post results

QuiverMonk

Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:15 pm

Hi Everyone,

I’m a complete noob and new to the forum. But, I wanted to join in on this issue. I have a Raspberry Pi 3B+ running only RetroPie and I’m getting frequent lockups. I’ve tried multiple power supplies (all recommended), 4 different SD Cards, and done the rpi-update. I have not changed the CPU speeds, etc. because I’m not certain how to do that. It sounds like this might be somewhat of a cure?

I’ve also had issues with just the sound cutting out. The only way to get the sound back is to reboot. I’m not sure if that’s related or not.

I’m curious to try anything to help with this problem. I can also give more information if necessary. Thanks.

5ft24dave

Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:34 am

5ft24dave wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:42 pm
I'll give that a shot and post results
I haven't had any crashes with overvoltage set at 2.

Slotter

Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:46 pm

Hello, I'm fairly new to the raspberry Pi. I understand the issue but i cant find out how and where to add these commands. im shelling into my Pi from a browser through a program called Pisignage. We are using a Pi to test some digital signs and the issue of course was it freezing over night.This is a huge inconvenience and we need to get it resolved. I would appreciate any help i could get.

5ft24dave

Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:37 pm

Slotter wrote:
Hello, I'm fairly new to the raspberry Pi. I understand the issue but i cant find out how and where to add these commands. im shelling into my Pi from a browser through a program called Pisignage. We are using a Pi to test some digital signs and the issue of course was it freezing over night.This is a huge inconvenience and we need to get it resolved. I would appreciate any help i could get.
You should actually read the thread... Many times it says that these commands go in /boot/config.txt

dom
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:56 pm

Also what does "vcgencmd version" report?
Newer firmwares have fixes in that may be all you need.

Slotter

Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:46 pm

5ft24dave wrote:
Slotter wrote:
You should actually read the thread... Many times it says that these commands go in /boot/config.txt
When I type "/boot/config.txt" it just gives me an Error. That's what I'm having a problem with. I have read the thread Jerk.

5ft24dave

Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:05 pm

Slotter wrote:
5ft24dave wrote:
Slotter wrote:
When I type "/boot/config.txt" it just gives me an Error. That's what I'm having a problem with. I have read the thread Jerk.
maybe your question should have been "how do I edit the file" not where do the commands go. and name calling isn't required.
I should tell you to pound sand and figure it out yourself, but I'm not going to stoop to your level.
You either need to SSH into the pi, or from the desktop open a terminal window.
you need to use an editor, probably the easiest is nano.
if you are not shelled in as root, you need to use "sudo nano /boot/config.txt" without the quotes. If you are the root user, you don't need sudo in front.
scroll down to the end of the file, add those commands, then type "ctrl-x" (control key and X), it will ask if you want to save the changes, type y, then it prompts for the file name, just hit enter then reboot the pi

Slotter

Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:29 pm

Yeah, this is what it does. I was asking for help and you bashed me by acting like I didn't read the thread. That was very rude.
Attachments
Screenshot_1.png
Screenshot_1.png (9.11 KiB) Viewed 1980 times

Slotter

Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:42 pm

i was able to view the config by using the "cat /boot/config.txt" but it doesn't let me edit it.
Attachments
Screenshot_3.png
Screenshot_3.png (31.66 KiB) Viewed 1972 times
Screenshot_2.png
Screenshot_2.png (34.92 KiB) Viewed 1972 times

Slotter

Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:56 pm

5ft24dave wrote:
Slotter wrote:
5ft24dave wrote:

maybe your question should have been "how do I edit the file" not where do the commands go. and name calling isn't required.
I should tell you to pound sand and figure it out yourself, but I'm not going to stoop to your level.
if you are not shelled in as root, you need to use "sudo nano /boot/config.txt" without the quotes. If you are the root user, you don't need sudo in front.
scroll down to the end of the file, add those commands, then type "ctrl-x" (control key and X), it will ask if you want to save the changes, type y, then it prompts for the file name, just hit enter then reboot the pi
Not sure what your problem is but I did ask how.
Attachments
Screenshot_4.png
Screenshot_4.png (23.56 KiB) Viewed 1965 times

5ft24dave

Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:14 pm

Slotter wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:56 pm
5ft24dave wrote:
Slotter wrote:

Not sure what your problem is but I did ask how.
My bad, I missed that.
Still no excuse for name calling.

5ft24dave

Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:17 pm

Slotter wrote:
Yeah, this is what it does. I was asking for help and you bashed me by acting like I didn't read the thread. That was very rude.
It appears you software that you get into the pi with doesn't allow you to open a terminal window directly. Try "xterm" and see if that will open a window and allow you to use nano. If not, you will have to use something like putty to ssh into the pi to edit the file

Slotter

Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:30 pm

5ft24dave wrote:
Slotter wrote:
It appears you software that you get into the pi with doesn't allow you to open a terminal window directly. Try "xterm" and see if that will open a window and allow you to use nano. If not, you will have to use something like putty to ssh into the pi to edit the file
It Didn't work, unfortunately. I hoping to get it working through this shell since I will be managing multiple pi's and it will be much quicker once I figure it out.. I've contacted the dev of the software and he is helping me out but I appreciate the tips.

5ft24dave

Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:40 pm

Slotter wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:30 pm
5ft24dave wrote:
Slotter wrote:
It Didn't work, unfortunately. I hoping to get it working through this shell since I will be managing multiple pi's and it will be much quicker once I figure it out.. I've contacted the dev of the software and he is helping me out but I appreciate the tips.
If the other pi's haven't been setup yet, you can modify the config.txt on the sd card before you place it in the pi. the boot partition is a standard FAT32, so windows can edit it. just use notepad++ or similar to edit the file

bensimmo

Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:39 pm

I think, and hopefully someone can confirm, you can use

Code: Select all

sudo 'arm_freq=1100' >> /boot/config.txt
To just add that text to the end of the file.
Your easiest method would be to use a terminal window via SSH, rather than one line commands.
You will be able to edit using nano and more importantly update using apt to get the latest firmware and fixes if your image is based on the original Pi3B+ image. (2018-04-18)
If it is based of the most recent one than none of the settings should be needed (2018-06-27)

Dom asked you to run
vcgencmd version
So he could see which versions you currently using.

jamesh

Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:10 pm

Just a reminder that we do not tolerate naming calling here. Be good to each other is the rule. I'll let the above slide as it seems to have sorted itself out, just don't let it happen again.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

piSignage

Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:38 pm

Hi, I am from the piSignage team. The popup window that was used to issue commands takes only shell commands. So as other people suggested you need to use ssh or USB keyboard connected to player (press ctrl+alt+t for terminal) for editing the file. You could change the file contents from that popup using "sed" commands, provided one knows "sed" well! Regards

kostik2022

Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:11 am

Hello everyone!

Got a new kit with Raspberry Pi 3? original PSU and SD-card (32Gb).
I'm using latest Raspbian image. Just flashed it to SD, made no changes (only add SSH file for headless setup). Network connecion is by wire, of course.
My board hangs randomly. Sometimes with me logged in, sometimes at boot stage. Whe I logged in I catched top outupt, and it shows that kworker consumes 100% of CPU. But the board is not connected to anything and of course there're no software there at all.
What could you advice? Thanks.

Return to “Troubleshooting”