ejolson

Cluster for IP ProxyNeon

Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:40 pm

Dear IP ProxyNeon,

It would appear that your initial post and my subsequent reply on cluster computing were deleted. As the entire thread was deleted without any explanation I'm not sure what the reason was. Maybe there was spam later in the thread or my reply was unacceptable. In case of the latter, I will refrain from reposting my reply at this point. From what I understand, complete deletion of a well written thread that contains no spam is rare. Anyway, welcome to the forum--please carry on in spite of the difficulties.

Since private messages are disabled, it would be appreciated if anyone who knows what happened to the Franken-Cluster thread that was started yesterday and why would respond here with details.
Last edited by ejolson on Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Message for IP ProxyNeon

Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:28 pm

IP-proxyNeon has gotten a warning about posting questions about the orange PI, or other alternatives to the RPI
So I want to make a raspberry pi cluster but I discovered cheap and better alternatives but I want the stability from the raspberry pi and the fast and cheap orange pi
And so his thread was made unreadable for normal users.
He was not banned, but as he has no posts left, (it was his first post) he has to re-register his new first post.

Technical Questions about how to use competitors products are not allowed here.

If IP-ProxyNeon wants to talk about clustering that is not a problem, as long as he wants to do it with our products.

ejolson

Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:47 pm

mahjongg wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:28 pm
IP-proxyNeon has gotten a warning about posting questions about the orange PI, or other alternatives to the RPI
So I want to make a raspberry pi cluster but I discovered cheap and better alternatives but I want the stability from the raspberry pi and the fast and cheap orange pi
And so his thread was made unreadable for normal users.
He was not banned, but as he has no posts left, (it was his first post) he has to re-register his new first post.

Technical Questions about how to use competitors products are not allowed here.

If IP-ProxyNeon wants to talk about clustering that is not a problem, as long as he wants to do it with our products.
Thanks for the information.

I've been told that it is fine to compare features of competing products on this forum but not to ask for technical assistance with them. Historically this is similar to comparing Amdahl with IBM or Data General with DEC. IBM and DEC did not provide technical support for products sold by direct competitors.

I understood a Franken-Cluster as having the best of currently available products: the support and reliability of the Raspberry Pi along with the speed advantage of true gigabit Ethernet. Of course, just like you can't take human body parts from different people to assemble the ultimate monster, you can't with single board computers.

My original reply indicated that there was no need to wait for the ultimate hardware or to spend lots of money. One can learn almost everything about setting up and using a cluster with a super-cheap cluster of Pi Zeros. I went on to discuss some advantages of running a recent kernel and that a cluster of 2B, 3B or 3B+ computers could be used, if needed, to develop multi-threaded MPI codes.

While parallel processing may not feature prominently in the revised curriculum, it is my opinion that student competency in such topics is necessary for the Raspberry Pi to have the same relative impact that the BBC Micro did in the 80's. For this reason I appreciate every opportunity to discuss clusters and parallel processing on this forum.

rpdom

Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:46 am

ejolson wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:47 pm
While parallel processing may not feature prominently in the revised curriculum, it is my opinion that student competency in such topics is necessary for the Raspberry Pi to have the same relative impact that the BBC Micro did in the 80's. For this reason I appreciate every opportunity to discuss clusters and parallel processing on this forum.
Funny you should mention the BBC Micro. (rather off topic). I remember doing some parallel processing with a couple of BBC Micros back in the 80s. I was staying with a friend and we pulled an all-nighter playing with an image file. His BBC did the initial processing and decoding of the image, then sent the results to my BBC (via serial port link) which then built a new image file based on the data received. It was fun, tiring and a few bottle of wine might have been involved. :-)

ejolson

Re: Cluster for IP ProxyNeon

Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:23 pm

rpdom wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:46 am
His BBC did the initial processing and decoding of the image, then sent the results to my BBC (via serial port link) which then built a new image file based on the data received.
That's a nice example of 8-bit parallel processing!

I changed the title of this thread to include the word cluster so your reply is not off topic anymore.

Another example of 8-bit clustering is provided by TurboDOS which ran on a collection of Z80 microcomputers stuffed together into a single S100 chassis. Each microcomputer had a dedicated serial port with terminal attached and accessed a shared filesystem by sending messages using DMA across the system bus. The idea was one processor per user; however, it was also possible to write a program that allowed multiple CPUs to work on a single task.

With the Raspberry Pi we are finally to the point where it is economically feasible for many children and hobbyists to set up clusters in the home.

Return to “General discussion”