purplecinnamon

Pi not booting after unplug

Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:47 pm

So I unplugged my Pi 3 without shutting down first, like the genius I am, and now it won't boot up now. I get the red power light, but not the green SD card activity light.

I have tried replacing the SD card with another SD card I have, using a new image of raspbian, and the result is the same.

I measure 5V across the 5V and GND pins leading me to think the power supply if fine.

Any ideas of what to try next?

PS: So I'm not sure if this is important, but I was powering the pi over GPIO instead of the usb cable before I unplugged it.
Last edited by purplecinnamon on Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mutrised

Re: Pi not booting after unplug

Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:32 am

Which Pi do you use ?
I had a similar issue with a broken microSD to SD card adapter for my PI/B+. Changing the adapter solved the issue.

Try with another power source, maybe yours is failing.

Finally, if you can, try with a third SD card. How do you flash the SD card ? I recommend Etcher.io, I never had any problem with it but I did faced some using dd command or other ways...
RPI2B 7/24 - web, NAS/media, Owncloud and more
RPI0 7/24 - VPN, DHCP, DNS (including filtering), wakeonlan proxy
RPI0W - VPN gateway providing secure WIFI AP and network router, some kind of internet BOX when on the move ;)

purplecinnamon

Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:11 pm

mutrised wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:32 am
Which Pi do you use ?
I had a similar issue with a broken microSD to SD card adapter for my PI/B+. Changing the adapter solved the issue.

Try with another power source, maybe yours is failing.

Finally, if you can, try with a third SD card. How do you flash the SD card ? I recommend Etcher.io, I never had any problem with it but I did faced some using dd command or other ways...
I am using the Pi 3 B+.

The SD card adapter? On my pi it simply takes a micro SD card with no need for an adapter.

The power supply if fine according to my multimeter reading.

I definitely could try a third one, but the second one I tried was a brand new sd card, freshly formatted to FAT32, with a new image I loaded on using Etcher. I would think if the SD card is the issue, that would have worked.

FTrevorGowen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:42 pm

purplecinnamon wrote: ...
The SD card adapter? On my pi it simply takes a micro SD card with no need for an adapter.
That's the case for the B+ onwards. However a uSDHC to SDHC card adapter may be needed to write the uSDHC card in a(nother) computer with only a "full-size" SD card slot (or, as I and others have used, in a cheap & cheerful USB-based card reader/writer which can be more reliable than some built-in slots.) Such can fail: http://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi ... 06.2013.29 Also, some time after the B+'s release IIRC a few folks found and tried out a form of SD-to-uSDHC card adapter.
Trev.
Still running Raspbian Jessie on some older Pi's (an A, B1, B2, B+, P2B, 3xP0, P0W) but Stretch on my 2xP3A+, P3B+, P3B, B+, A+ and a B2. See: https://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi/raspiidx.htm

purplecinnamon

Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:32 pm

FTrevorGowen wrote:
That's the case for the B+ onwards. However a uSDHC to SDHC card adapter may be needed to write the uSDHC card in a(nother) computer with only a "full-size" SD card slot (or, as I and others have used, in a cheap & cheerful USB-based card reader/writer which can be more reliable than some built-in slots.) Such can fail: http://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi ... 06.2013.29 Also, some time after the B+'s release IIRC a few folks found and tried out a form of SD-to-uSDHC card adapter.
Trev.
I think I see what you are saying. Are you suggesting I try the SD card with a usb adapter instead of the onboard uSD card slot? I just tried that and it appears it still does not want to boot up.

FTrevorGowen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:03 pm

purplecinnamon wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:32 pm
FTrevorGowen wrote:
Trev.
I think I see what you are saying. Are you suggesting I try the SD card with a usb adapter instead of the onboard uSD card slot? I just tried that and it appears it still does not want to boot up.
No. What I'm saying, w.r.t. USB SDHC card readers/writers is that, depending upon the age of the (non-Pi) computer used to write the uSDHC card, their use may result in more reliable writing of the uSDHC card. (To put it another way, unless the built-in slot is labeled as SDHC/XC compatible, which I've only seen on digital cameras and one or two recent netbooks/tablets, correct writing/re-formating etc. is not guaranteed - historically SDHC and SDXC were designed and implemented/rolled-out for cameras first, use in/for "computers" was to be several years later. Several manufactures packaged cards with USB reader/writer dongles because of this**)
Trev.
** FWIW Some examples are here: http://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi ... cards.html
Still running Raspbian Jessie on some older Pi's (an A, B1, B2, B+, P2B, 3xP0, P0W) but Stretch on my 2xP3A+, P3B+, P3B, B+, A+ and a B2. See: https://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi/raspiidx.htm

jbudd

Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:08 pm

So I unplugged my Pi 3 without shutting down first, like the genius I am, and now it won't boot up now. I get the red power light, but not the green SD card activity light.
Do you have a monitor on your Pi ? Does it show anything at all?

The green LED on my Pi 3+ has stopped working for some reason and since I use it headless, the only way to know it is running is if it appears on the network.

Return to “Troubleshooting”