dsyleixa123

Re: virtual keyboard for touch screen?

Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:04 pm

onboard? It sounded that it's for Ubuntu, not for Jessie - or did I miss something? How can that be installed on Jessie?

DougieLawson

Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:06 pm

Stop using Jessie, it was retired last September (9 months ago). Onboard is in Stretch.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

dsyleixa123

Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:09 pm

As it seems, onboard is already a long time available - so there is no version which fits to Jessie?

bensimmo

Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:22 pm

dsyleixa123 wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:04 pm
onboard? It sounded that it's for Ubuntu, not for Jessie - or did I miss something? How can that be installed on Jessie?
Ubuntu is also based on Debian.
Raspbian is based on Debian.
Jessie, Stretch etc are Releases of Debian when they set a line to say, start using this now.
Just as other OSs do.
Ubuntu, Raspbian use that as a baseline to build their distribution with their style of OS.

You can search packages at Debian's package website, unfortunately it seems you'll need Stretch to use Apt to install Onboard.
https://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=onboard
Last edited by bensimmo on Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

DougieLawson

Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:23 pm

dsyleixa123 wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:09 pm
As it seems, onboard is already a long time available - so there is no version which fits to Jessie?
I don't know and I don't care about Jessie. It's more than a year since I upgraded my 14 Jessie machines to Stretch.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

dsyleixa123

Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:31 pm

I'm afraid I can't upgrade now, too many old program installations I even got pre-installed by a more experienced user a couple of months ago. Perhaps someone else might care about Jessie and shows a way to a working virtual keyboard solution?

DougieLawson

Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:50 pm

You may be able to pull the *.deb from Stretch and install it on Jessie.
Pull the onboard 1.4.1-3 debs from http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org/rasp ... o/onboard/

You really need to look at what's preventing your upgrade, we'll be starting to replace Stretch with Buster in the fairly near future. Usually, the concerns that prevent an upgrade aren't realistic - build a test SDCard with the Piclone SD Card Copier (it's on the menu). Boot that then update every file in /etc/apt/source.list and /etc/apt/source.list.d/*.list with "Stretch" wherever you see "Jessie". Then run sudo apt-get update; sudo apt-get -y dist-upgrade; sudo reboot.

dsyleixa123

Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:35 pm

how can I " pull the *.deb" from stretch and then "pull the onboard deb" from http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org/rasp ... o/onboard/ ?
how to install everything? How to update everything? I am a beginner, I have no idea about that and can't imagine what to do at all.
Can you provide a .sh script?
Probably it would be easier to get a ready-working virtual keyboard for Jessie from another source or origin, to be installed by sudo apt-get install XXX...?

DougieLawson

Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:25 pm

Use curl or wget or lynx or firefox or chromium or midori.

bensimmo

Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:28 am

Do you have another SD card you can use.

dsyleixa123

Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:37 am

I don't understand - what shall I do with curl or wget or lynx or firefox or chromium or midori and another SD, for which purpose or task exactly?
BTW, I use firefox.

DougieLawson

Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:54 am

You pick up the URL from my post, you right click on the debs you need and download them.

Best of luck with learning how to use your RPi with an outdated OS. I won't be contributing more to this thread.

bensimmo

Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:38 am

The SD card is to make a backup copy of your current card.
You can then use that to test an update to Stretch, if it fails and doesn't work then it doesn't matter.

You can follow this to try it.
https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/raspbian-stretch/

I don't know what else you are using that you cannot use on Stretch or setup from a fresh new Stretch and learn by doing it.
Maybe use the other SD card to learn about setting it up with what you have now so you don't need to rely on your old setup and somebody else.

Stretch may not be the solution to an Onscreen Keyboard, but it gives you more options.

We're only trying to help, since no solution with the main onscreen keyboards has worked so far.
You may find using Ubuntu or other OS on the RaspberryPi works better.

dsyleixa123

Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:43 am

how to use the SD card for a SD copy is not a problem, I'm always doing that already, for copying all setupts from 1 SD of 1 Pi to the other and back and for backups. My question was about Dougie Lawson's post
You may be able to pull the *.deb from Stretch and install it on Jessie.
Pull the onboard 1.4.1-3 debs from http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org/rasp ... o/onboard/

You really need to look at what's preventing your upgrade, we'll be starting to replace Stretch with Buster in the fairly near future. Usually, the concerns that prevent an upgrade aren't realistic - build a test SDCard with the Piclone SD Card Copier (it's on the menu). Boot that then update every file in /etc/apt/source.list and /etc/apt/source.list.d/*.list with "Stretch" wherever you see "Jessie". Then run sudo apt-get update; sudo apt-get -y dist-upgrade; sudo reboot.
As already written several times, Stretch is no option (unless there was an upgrade from Noobs Jessie to Nobbs Stretch, by a simple 1-line command, also upgrading all Jessie settings and all installed Jessie tools and programs by just 1 key stroke, which obviously doesn't exist.)

But no idea what to do here for that was DL posted, the SD part for backup was not the question - that's clear of course - it's just about the rest to make "onboard" work on Jessie, for which I needed a ready-to-use install sh script.
Or, alternatively, a better virtual keyboard program which already exists for Jessie, i.e. better and more stable than matchbox, or kvkbd, or Florence.
Last edited by dsyleixa123 on Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:51 am, edited 2 times in total.

bensimmo

Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:48 am

Follow my link to the blog page from Raspbian.
A script would just save you a few lines of typing.

Good luck and hope it works (for my setups it didn't really work :-() so I just started afresh.

dsyleixa123

Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:50 am

bensimmo wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:48 am
Follow my link to the blog page from Raspbian.
A script would just save you a few lines of typing.

Good luck and hope it works (for my setups it didn't really work :-() so I just started afresh.
which link? about Jessie and Stretch?
How often do I have to repeat that Stretch is no option, because of all my existing installed programs and settings for Jessie ?!
My question is about a functioning virtual keyboard program for Jessie, to be installed user-friendly and which works automatically right from the start. So please stay on-topic.

bensimmo

Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:37 pm

*Read* the posts above.
We don't get paid, we are trying to get you an onscreen keyboard.
We have suggested you try and move to Stretch to see if that helps, you can update you current setup on a clone of your card and see if it still works afterwards.
You loose nothing but time and data downloads

Or learn how to setup what you have now.
Everything you have now should also work under stretch.

Anyway, continue your quests.
Go and ask on the onscreen keyboards help sites for each one, they should know how to I stall it.
Also try Debian (the main underlying OS you are using) and LXDE (the desktop you are using) website.

dsyleixa123

Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:27 pm

no, Stretch is absolutely no option, but I'm gladly looking forward to someone who is more experienced with functioning virtual keyboards on Jessie :)

Tzarls
Authorised Reseller
Authorised Reseller

Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:20 am

I use Jessie and xvkbd and everything works ok. Now, I remember having the problem you describe (not being able to launch the keyboard again) and found that the version in the repositories apparently had a problem when shutting down. I don't remember exactly how I solved it but I think it had to do with building from sources to get the latest version. You can get the source for xvkbd (and instructions) at the following link:

http://t-sato.in.coocan.jp/xvkbd/

Before building you have to make a modification to the lmakefile file. Change:

#ifdef I18N
D_I18N = -DUSE_I18N -DHAVE_SETLOCALE
#endif

To:

#ifdef I18N
D_I18N = -DUSE_I18N
#endif

This will get you xkbd 3.7, which is the version I have on Jessie and as I wrote before, works flawlessly.

Hope this helps.

dsyleixa123

Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:02 am

Tzarls wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:20 am
I use Jessie and xvkbd and everything works ok. Now, I remember having the problem you describe (not being able to launch the keyboard again) and found that the version in the repositories apparently had a problem when shutting down. I don't remember exactly how I solved it but I think it had to do with building from sources to get the latest version. You can get the source for xvkbd (and instructions) at the following link:

http://t-sato.in.coocan.jp/xvkbd/

Before building you have to make a modification to the lmakefile file. Change:

#ifdef I18N
D_I18N = -DUSE_I18N -DHAVE_SETLOCALE
#endif

To:

#ifdef I18N
D_I18N = -DUSE_I18N
#endif

This will get you xkbd 3.7, which is the version I have on Jessie and as I wrote before, works flawlessly.

Hope this helps.
thank you, that looks promising. So far I didn't try xvkbd so far because I didn't know how to install it, I just tried kvkbd so far.
Unfortunately I also never made a new build of anything so far and also have no experience in makefile, but in the download chapter I can see the following:
Download

Latest Official Release http://t-sato.in.coocan.jp/xvkbd/xvkbd-3.9.tar.gz
- source of version 3.9 (2018-02-25)

previous release
http://t-sato.in.coocan.jp/xvkbd/xvkbd-3.8.tar.gz
- source of version 3.8 (2017-06-06)
http://t-sato.in.coocan.jp/xvkbd/xvkbd-3.7.tar.gz
- source of version 3.7 (2015-09-12)
http://t-sato.in.coocan.jp/xvkbd/xvkbd-3.6.tar.gz
- source of version 3.6 (2015-02-15)
As I am also new to tar.gz (I just used sudo apt-get install):
Which are the commands to download, unpack (including to choose the correct target dir), build, and install it correcty (user: pi, no root group)?

dsyleixa123

Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:24 pm

ok, I give up with Jessie

bensimmo

Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:31 pm

I wouldn't give up, but I would try a plain Stretch setup (I know you don't want to move to it).
Stick your monitor and the usb in.
If that still works, then try and see if the keyboards work for you there.

You don't need to install everything else to see if it works.
Then at least you'll know if it is worth or not worth using Stretch.
Something to do while someone comes up with an easy solution.

bensimmo

Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:34 pm

Here's a quick look.at Jessie one you can try your way through.with
apt install ..

https://packages.debian.org/search?suit ... 20keyboard
Not all seem to be typing keyboard though.

Tzarls
Authorised Reseller
Authorised Reseller

Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:25 pm

dsyleixa123 wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:24 pm
ok, I give up with Jessie
Don't.

For downloading I usually "cheat" - I download the package using my Windows Pc and then transfer the file to the Pi (mainly because I use Windows to browse,so it's faster that way) but you can do it that way directly from the chromium browser on the Pi. Or investigate about the wget command.

I'm not at my Pi right now and I hate typing on the phone, so as soon as I get home I'll see if I can send some instructions on building xvkbd.

dsyleixa123

Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:08 am

I am looking for a tested, verified, and error-free solution for a virtual keyboard program on Jessie, so if you would be so kind and test it before that would be really helpful. I dare hardly hope, but it would be too good to be true.

Return to “Beginners”