Re: Ubuntu image for the new Raspberry Pi 3 B+

Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:23 pm

feelslikeautumn wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:01 pm
A quicker way would be:

Code: Select all

sudo apt update
sudo apt install raspberrypi-bootloader raspberrypi-kernel
Somebody pointed out on the mate forums that this doesn't work. I don't use Ubuntu mate, but I was absolutely convinced that they used the same repos as raspbian for these packages. Apparently they don't and their packages come from a PPA, which is crazy since it hasn't been updated for ages.

So rpi-update is the way to do it, or you have to install the packages manually from http://archive.raspberrypi.org/debian/p ... -firmware/ or add the repo to your package sources list (restrict it to just these packages though).

Sorry if I wasted anybody's time.

anandbiradar

Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:48 pm

Hi All,

I had the same problem as described in initial part of thread (Issue : Ubuntu Mate 16.04 after flashing on SD stucks at rainbow screen at boot up while running on Pi 3 B+). I tried few suggestion as mentioned in this thread but couldn't get it working and I understand it takes time to released versions for new hardware.

So I was able to get it working when I tried following steps (after fiddling around for few hours with bunch of possible solutions);
1. Flash the SD card with Ubuntu Mate 16.04 (that's made for Raspberry Pi 2/3 per website)
2. Use Pi 3 B (not B+) to run the SD card and OS get through initial setup.
3. This is the important step that made the trick, I ran "sudo rpi-update". I believe this updated the kernel and bootloader to latest version available which is usually not updated in the .img released files.
4. After this I used this SD card on Pi 3 B+ and OS worked fine. (one small thing my wifi module stopped working but I will figure that out)

I just thought of sharing this so more people having same problem can save time. Please ignore if this was covered already earlier in the thread.

Cheers,
Anand

n67

Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:31 pm

3. This is the important step that made the trick, I ran "sudo rpi-update". I believe this updated the kernel and bootloader to latest version available which is usually not updated in the .img released files.
The funny thing about this is that the CW on this forum (as expressed by many of the big-time posters) is that you should never, ever, ever, ever, run rpi-update. Presumably, many help-seekers take this as gospel.

This new situations with the 3B+ is going to make them have to rescind that position. It seems rpi-update is generally needed in order to get any non-Raspbian OS running.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WA4iX5D9Z64
"L'enfer, c'est les autres"

G fytc hsqr rum umpbq rm qyw rm rfc kmbq md rfgq dmpsk:

Epmu Sn!

davidcoton

Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:01 pm

n67 wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:31 pm
The funny thing about this is that the CW on this forum (as expressed by many of the big-time posters) is that you should never, ever, ever, ever, run rpi-update. Presumably, many help-seekers take this as gospel.

This new situations with the 3B+ is going to make them have to rescind that position. It seems rpi-update is generally needed in order to get any non-Raspbian OS running.
rpi-update is a non-core Raspbian component that can install bleeding edge software. It may break your system.
The standard advice is: Don't run it unless advised to by "someone who knows" and/or you know how to repair the possible mess. That is not the same as your caricature of the advice.
Most non-Raspbian systems are not officially supported here, so it is to be hoped that those giving advice to use rpi-update qualify as "someone who knows", and that users are able to clean up (or start over) if necessary.
It would be far better if those recommending OSs for the Pi made sure that releases recommended for the PI3B+ were Pi3B+ ready, or gave appropriate warnings about the level of experience needed to install them.
"Thanks for saving my life." See https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1327656#p1327656
“Raspberry Pi is a trademark of the Raspberry Pi Foundation”

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue May 01, 2018 12:19 am

I suspect that doing an rpi-update on an Ubuntu distribution will turn that ubuntu distribution into a raspbian distribution, or at least something very similar to Raspbian. I don't think that is what you actually want.

But I could be wrong...

And no, rpi-update is not "the way to update any OS for new hardware", that is NOT how it works, and what it is for, that is just wishful thinking, and clinging to straws.

hommar

Tue May 01, 2018 5:23 am

anandbiradar wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:48 pm
(one small thing my wifi module stopped working but I will figure that out)
Possible:
http://ubuntu-mate.org/raspberry-pi wrote:Known Issues
  • Upon completion of the first boot setup WiFi doesn’t work, at all. Reboot and WiFi will be available.
or may be need install official release 4.9.80 kernel with 3B+ support with command

Code: Select all

sudo rpi-update 936a8dc3a605c20058fbb23672d6b47bca77b0d5

feelslikeautumn

Tue May 01, 2018 6:30 am

mahjongg wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 12:19 am
But I could be wrong...
You are. https://github.com/Hexxeh/rpi-update

jacta

Fri May 25, 2018 5:15 am

Did anyone succeed making an ubuntu server image for the 3b+ yet?

feelslikeautumn

Fri May 25, 2018 12:17 pm

There is little point since you can easily adapt the official pi 2 image - https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ARM/RaspberryPi ... B.2F3B.2B-

I uploaded 32 bit and 64 bit installers for xubuntu 18.04 - viewtopic.php?f=56&t=209763 . Both should work on the pi 3B+

I've also got a 32 bit image for xubuntu-core 18.04. I can upload that if anybody would like it.

fjp

Mon May 28, 2018 11:02 pm

I am using the img file posted in this thread and it works great so far. Thank you all for making this possible!
However, has someone tried to connect a camera v2 and enable it in the config?

start_x=1 and gpu_mem=128

When I change these settings, I cannot boot to the mate desktop and only see the rainbow when I power the pi (with and without camera connected).
If I disable start_x=1 everything works fine - I can boot into the desktop.

Gavinmc42

Tue May 29, 2018 1:00 am

When I change these settings, I cannot boot to the mate desktop and only see the rainbow when I power the pi (with and without camera connected).
Are you using the 64bit version?
Most of these use the V3D driver and gpu_mem=16 as the ram is allocated on the fly.
Camera stuff not yet working in 64 bit mode.
I'm dancing on Rainbows.
Raspberries are not Apples or Oranges

feelslikeautumn

Tue May 29, 2018 8:13 am

fjp wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 11:02 pm
I am using the img file posted in this thread and it works great so far. Thank you all for making this possible!
However, has someone tried to connect a camera v2 and enable it in the config?

start_x=1 and gpu_mem=128

If I disable start_x=1 everything works fine - I can boot into the desktop.
start_x=1 implies start_file=start_x.elf fixup_file=fixup_x.dat

So start_x.elf and fixup_x.dat probably weren't updated on the image. Not a problem you can easily do it yourself.

fjp

Tue May 29, 2018 9:29 pm

Thanks for your help!

I am using the 32 bit version. At least this is what the command getconf LONG_BIT tells me.

I tried to replace the fixup.dat and start_x.elf on the sd card with the mate image but then I cannot boot into the desktop. Copying only start_x.elf did not help either. By the way, can someone please provide a good (short) resource what these files contain an do?

I copied the files from the latest raspbian image (2018-04-18-raspbian-stretch). The camera works when I use this (supported) image file.

Is there another file I have to copy in order to get the camera working with the ubuntu mate image? Maybe some files from /lib/firmware?

feelslikeautumn

Wed May 30, 2018 8:21 am

fjp wrote:
Is there another file I have to copy in order to get the camera working with the ubuntu mate image? Maybe some files from /lib/firmware?
You are stalling at the rainbow screen, so the kernel hasn't yet been loaded. Maybe a mismatch between the different bootloader files? I don't have a camera, I'm stabbing in the dark a bit. Have you tried running rip-update? If that fails to update things then copy everything from your raspbian boot partition to your mate boot partition, except the cmdline.txt and kernel7.img

mathsci1

Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:52 am

fjp wrote:
Thanks for your help!

I am using the 32 bit version. At least this is what the command getconf LONG_BIT tells me.

I tried to replace the fixup.dat and start_x.elf on the sd card with the mate image but then I cannot boot into the desktop. Copying only start_x.elf did not help either. By the way, can someone please provide a good (short) resource what these files contain an do?

I copied the files from the latest raspbian image (2018-04-18-raspbian-stretch). The camera works when I use this (supported) image file.

I can confirm that the camera v2 works with the ubuntu mate image. Instead of copying from the mate image, you should copy fixup.dat and start_x.elf from the latest raspbian image. It works perfectly.

mathsci1

Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:12 am

@MaxVMH I'm a noob in creating sd card images, could you care point me in the right direction to make my own image with updated start_x.elf and fixup.dat? Thanks.

fjp

Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:13 pm

mathsci1 wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:52 am
fjp wrote:
Thanks for your help!

I can confirm that the camera v2 works with the ubuntu mate image. Instead of copying from the mate image, you should copy fixup.dat and start_x.elf from the latest raspbian image. It works perfectly.
I did not copy from the mate image. As you marked in bold, I replaced fixup.dat and start_x.elf ON the sd card image, which I downloaded from this thread, with the files from the latest raspbian image 2018-04-18-raspbian-stretch.img. And I also tried with the files from 2018-04-18-raspbian-stretch-lite.img but both times without success.

However, I have to admit that I get further than the rainbow screen... Now I see the plymouth splash screen but then all turns black and stays black :?
I can confirm that the camera v2 works with the ubuntu mate image.
Dont you have an updated and working image in this case?

mathsci1

Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:35 am

I did not copy from the mate image. As you marked in bold, I replaced fixup.dat and start_x.elf ON the sd card image, which I downloaded from this thread, with the files from the latest raspbian image 2018-04-18-raspbian-stretch.img. And I also tried with the files from 2018-04-18-raspbian-stretch-lite.img but both times without success.
That's odd, I just did it successfully yesterday. Can use the picamera python library without any hassle. Maybe try reinstalling ubuntu mate again, change the fixup.dat and start_x.elf with the latest raspbian image, and then enable the camera from raspi-config? Hope that will works.

feelslikeautumn

Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:56 pm

fixup_x.dat

Note the _x

fjp

Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:42 pm

feelslikeautumn wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:56 pm
fixup_x.dat

Note the _x
Thank you @feelslikeautumn for pointing that out. This was the problem, I always copied fixup.dat instead of fixup_x.dat.

Can you or someone else please provide a resource to more details about all these files?

feelslikeautumn

Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:16 am

Easy mistake to make!

Sorry can't point you at documentation. All I know about these files is through a internet search. There is stuff written about them on random forum threads,

gkbot

Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:31 pm

MaxVMH wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:33 am
Bignumbas wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:19 am
I copied the entire raspian boot partition onto my working Pi 3 Ubuntu Mate SDcard but left the old cmdline.txt and it boots to the desktop.
However It says that modules were not loaded and when I get to the desktop there is no mouse/keyboard working and I suspect networking.
Suggestions anyone?
It seems I would have to compile the modules needed before I transplant to the Pi 3B+.
What would I need to make?

They are all in this thread, scattered around on 5 pages. So here's a nice summary :)
(Let us know in case I forgot something.)

Copy the following files from Raspbian to Ubuntu Mate:
  • For Booting: copy bootcode.bin, fixup.dat, start.elf, bcm2710-rpi-3-b-plus.dtb and kernel7.img
  • For keyboard/mouse: copy /lib/modules/4.9.80-v7+ (root partition)
  • For network: copy the contents of /lib/firmware/brcm/ (root partition)

If you want to boot from USB:
  • edit cmdline.txt, change root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 to root=/dev/sda2 (boot partition)
  • edit etc/fstab, change/dev/mmcblk0p2 to sda2 and /dev/mmcblk0p1 to sda1 (root partition)

Torrents of the Ubuntu Mate image with the changes already done (these are not official, I made these so use at own risk):
PS: If anyone was wondering, Ubuntu Mate is slower than Raspbian on the Raspberry Pi and there's less community support. If anyone is doing this because they don't like the Raspbian desktop looks, I recommend customizing it or installing another desktop on top of Raspbian Lite instead of going to Ubuntu Mate.
All that and also fixup_x.dat , start_x.elf for those who would like to use the camera.

worstkaas

Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:32 pm

Thank you guys for the great work.
Bought a pi B+ for staking RDD coins on a RDD wallet 24/7

RDD wallet only runs on Ubuntu mate.
Now I have Ubuntu mate running on the B+.

But I want to run it headless.
Tried the SSH connection, but get an error network connection refused.

Can anyone help me with this?

samsonbull

Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:43 pm

Why is everyone saying things about Raspbian Stretch on a thread about Ubuntu??? Raspbian Stretch is a great image for specific purposes, but not all purposes. People may be asking about alternatives for a reason. So rather than saying "Raspbian Stretch", perhaps we should ask what they are trying to accomplish. Thoughts?

gasperbh

Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:23 pm

Guys, I finder this video and resolv 100% my problem.
I did only first step. Him about config Ubuntu mate for RSPI B+
2 step him about overclock, but I don´t did.
I hope to help those who need it just like me.

link Youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdJrd75_068

Return to “Other”