SOCSBC

Updating/upgrading live USB of Debian with Raspberry Pi Desktop

Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:12 pm

Forgive me if this has been asked and answered (I did my best to check), but can anyone tell me the guidelines for running a USB with persistence? I'm running a copy of Raspbian Desktop on a USB, and wanted to "sudo apt-get update && apt-get upgrade" it, but didn't want to inadvertently nuke my set-up. Is there a good write-up, somewhere that I missed? Thank you in advance.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Updating/upgrading live USB

Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:24 pm

Moved this to raspberry PI desktop for PC and Mac, but with your posting history I'm not sure you are really using Debian Linux on a PC.

SOCSBC

Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:51 am

I'm using "Debian with Raspberry Pi Desktop" https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/r ... i-desktop/ on my work p.c., etc. I use Raspbian on my 3B+, at home, but anytime that I have to use a computer, other than my own, I boot from the USB. I keep it with me at all times, and I love it. The built-in persistence is brilliant; I don't know why more distros can't/won't do this, but it's fantastic.

...but I digress.

Back to the point: is it okay to update and upgrade the live USB? Anything that I should know about or take care with?

kevinthefixer

Re: Updating/upgrading live USB of Debian with Raspberry Pi Desktop

Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:15 pm

Should work just fine OOTB. But if you have any doubts, simply clone your stick first so you have a backup.

SOCSBC

Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:43 am

kevinthefixer wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:15 pm
Should work just fine OOTB. But if you have any doubts, simply clone your stick first so you have a backup.
What's the best way to make a clone?

mikerr

Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:29 am

SOCSBC wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:51 am
The built-in persistence is brilliant; I don't know why more distros can't/won't do this, but it's fantastic.
A quick and simple way to have persistence on many distros is to use multibootusb. I use that for Mint & Ubuntu.
Android app - Raspi Card Imager - download and image SD cards - No PC required !

bertlea

Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:06 am

Back to the point: is it okay to update and upgrade the live USB? Anything that I should know about or take care with?
Yes, I do the apt-get update, apt-get upgrade, and also apt-get install packages .... even build package (cool-retro-term) on my USB, all worked fine.

Return to “Raspberry Pi Desktop for PC and Mac”