RichardS

Missing boot messages?

Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:01 pm

Loaded up the latest Raspbian and noticed that the boot messages have been hidden (except for a single line at the bottom, but it flashes by too quickly to be useful for anything).

Is there a boot config.txt or some other configuration option that will restore the previous boot message behavior in the new Raspbian release?

fbe

Re: Missing boot messages?

Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:13 am

In raspi-config, "3 Boot Options" / "B3 Splash Screen" select "No".

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:48 am

After boot, syslog contains the messages.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

RichardS

Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:12 pm

Thanks for the answers.

Yes, checking dmesg or the syslog files is a good option since it will allow a more leisurely and detailed examination of the problem - but is only possible if the system finishes booting and is reasonably stable.

I have also tried moving the microSD to a card reader in a PC to read the logs off-line, but have found that when the system crashes, it often happens so fast that the offending driver or other problem causing the crash doesn't always get written to disk, so being able to watch the messages in real time is a big plus under these conditions.

So it's nice to know that the splash screen option can be changed so the messages can be seen in real time, but does anyone know offhand what changes that actually makes to the system config files, so that if a system is boot locking and therefore can't run the raspi-config utility, I could still change the spash screen option by editing files on the microSD while it is mounted in a card reader?

Return to “Raspbian”