Bioshox

Overclocking success over 1GHz?

Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:15 pm

As the title suggests, has anybody had any luck getting their Raspberry Pi's above 1GHz?

If you have, why not post your config so we all can see :)
Owner of: http://www.fusionstrike.com - I make gorgeous Raspberry Pi Tutorials :)

portets

Re: Overclocking success over 1GHz?

Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:18 pm

I've seen a few people hit 1100 to 1200 with overvolt.

What I'd like to know is if anyone has hit 1000 with no overvolt. I've seen a 950.

Bioshox

Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:25 pm

portets wrote:I've seen a few people hit 1100 to 1200 with overvolt.

What I'd like to know is if anyone has hit 1000 with no overvolt. I've seen a 950.
I couldn't even hit 900, I got a Kernel Panic at 850+
Owner of: http://www.fusionstrike.com - I make gorgeous Raspberry Pi Tutorials :)

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:15 pm

As you have seen, different Pi's will hit different speeds, so one config may not work on another device. You really need to test until you find a speed the device is comfortable with.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“My wife said to me `...you’re not even listening`.
I thought, that’s an odd way to start a conversation.."

RaTTuS

Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:17 pm

I've had 950 with no overvolt
but I get some IRQ75 errors at that speed , I've not experimented more
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

Mr.Dave

Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:22 pm

Different PSUs could also effect OCing abilities per Pi

Bioshox

Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:34 pm

Yeah, really just looking to see if anybodies got it up to 1.2GHz or above really.

AndrewS

Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:18 am

Using the dodgy marketing tactics of some Chinese android-device manufacturers, you could sellotape two 700MHz RPi's together and claim to have a 1.4GHz device :lol:

jamesh

Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:54 am

Actually, there are two scaler cores and one 16 way Vector cores on the GPU running at 250Mhz, that 18 threads of parallel execution, so that 250*18 extra Mhz you can add on. Then you have some more CPU's in the 3D unit, think there are 12 of those, again at 250. So, if I were a Chinese manufacturer, I'd be claiming at least 700 + 250*30 = 8200 Mhz, = 8.2 Ghz of processing power. And I'm pretty sure I've missed a few programmable cores out.

I don't want to here any more complaints about lack of power, OK!
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“My wife said to me `...you’re not even listening`.
I thought, that’s an odd way to start a conversation.."

AndrewS

Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:14 pm

jamesh wrote:I don't want to here any more complaints about lack of power, OK!
OK! But complaints about spelling...? ;) ;)

emba

Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:47 pm

mine is happily doing 850 arm freq and 475 memory but i havent pushed it any further as yet. has anyone tried adding a heatsink? i imagine small ram heatsinks stuck on with adhesive thermal tape would work rather well and wouldnt increase the size any as it would be no higher than the usb ports, theyre cheap too, you can get 10 of them for about 4 quid, i will probably get some this weekend and push it a bit more, ill think about overvolting it too

AndrewS

Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:59 pm

emba wrote:has anyone tried adding a heatsink? i imagine small ram heatsinks stuck on with adhesive thermal tape would work rather well
www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=13080 :)

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:12 am

For the uninitiated, a heatsink won't actually improve overclocking, quite the contrary, heatsinks used by overclockers are not used to make the device easier to overclock, but to increase the livespan of the device. A ten degrees (Celcius/Kelvin) increase in temperature is said to halve the life expectancy of the device. If you try to overclock a $400 video card, it makes sense to increase its already existing cooling capabilities, but for a PI its probably less useful, especially if you want to reach the highest possible speeds!

Yes over-volting makes a digital circuit faster, because internal parasitic capacitances will charge faster. But you can over-volt a SoC to such a degree that the extra lost energy heats it up to such a degree that the lifetime of the chip is threatened. In that case it might be important to lower the temperature so as not to damage the chip. In addition, the structures in modern SoC's are so small that too much voltage across them may actually damage a transistor by blowing up tracks or breaking down the isolation between a gate and underlaying silicon. This results in chips with many shorts in them.

The basic premise indeed is that lowering the temperature of silicon will slow its switching speed. however the effect is quite small, and may be offset by other effects, like varying the offsets when the transistor will switch. On the other hands physicist will claim that electron mobility in silicon actually decreases with temperature, the jury seems not to be out on the matter.. Although super cooling remains popular, so maybe extreme cooling hits a "sweet spot" giving you a few percentage points more speed.

In any case it doesn't matter, the main reason for a heatsink still is to keep the silicon cold enough when overvolting, so as to not reduce its lifetime too much.

more info here: http://electronics.stackexchange.com/qu ... mperatures

emba

Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:54 am

I m not new to clocking thankfully, I've been clocking pc's for many years, but once I push the voltage up it will increase the temp and even though they're a cheap device they still aren't easy to get hold of so id rather not burn it out too soon.

Also temp does have some bearing on the performance as far as I'm aware, more heat equals more resistance so electronic components generally run better at lower temps so I can't say I agree with you on saying that more heat would offer better clocking potential while retaining stability unless these chips are significantly different from those used in standard cpus and gpus, its why all the overclock records in the last few years have used things like liquid nitrogen for cooling. But I'm not an expert so I may be wrong.

Rabjerg

Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:31 pm

Perhaps someone knows the "sweet spot" temperature for the conductors and semi conductors to operate.
Then comes the fun to find out what surface temperate that translate to, and then keep the surface (thous the "core") at the exact temperature.

But i think all in all, there will be other limiting and more important factors, than optimal core temperature.

shalo

Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:16 pm

"The silicon goes trough a complex curve. Too hot or too cold does not work.............The PI does net get hot so cooling it does not help."

"We have run them a prolonged time at 80 degr. Celsius in an oven with no problems. The Theta-J with an airflow of 0m/sec is ~35 C/W. This is with a PoP memory on top. So with a 1W power consumption your max. ambient temperature is about 120-35=85 Degrees Celsius."

emba

Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:22 pm

thats good enough for me then, so heat isnt an issue and i have a decent power supply (i use my touchpads charger) so that wont be a prob either, guess i can start pushing it a little more :D

Baystray

Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:03 pm

It is unfortunate that so much depends on luck of the draw with chips it seems. I have two Pis and on the first, I am able to run 1GHz w/o overvolting and 1.1 happily with (will try higher tonight). On my second, however, it would freeze after a couple hours at without overvolting and with it at 1.1, the display gets a little buggy after a while with overvolting. I am still working on finding the best settings them both...

psutton

Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:48 pm

Looking at the interview video with eben i think he said overclocking is fine, however over voltage can shorten the life of the cpu.

Im a pi guy

Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:17 am

I got my pi up to 850 MHz
Then I went to 950 MHz no overvolting
1GHz and no overvolting.

Ok my point is if you do it Iin steps you my get more out of your pi with no overvolting.

But as I read 1 reply all pi's are different.

Zanith

Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:48 am

mahjongg wrote:For the uninitiated, a heatsink won't actually improve overclocking, quite the contrary, heatsinks used by overclockers are not used to make the device easier to overclock, but to increase the livespan of the device. A ten degrees (Celcius/Kelvin) increase in temperature is said to halve the life expectancy of the device. If you try to overclock a $400 video card, it makes sense to increase its already existing cooling capabilities, but for a PI its probably less useful, especially if you want to reach the highest possible speeds!
Actually most devices will be better overclockable if their temperature increases, not decreases!
http://uk.hardware.info/news/38967/hard ... -to-15-ghz

You was saying???? If you overvolt something with no cooling it would burn out (depending on voltage+current) seriously where do you get the idea that heat is good for overclocking?

zschroeder6212

Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:18 am

I got my pi to 1000 without overvolting, no problem... considering going higher.

Lob0426

Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:09 am

The Raspberry Pi 2 BCM2836 May respond better to a heatsink than the BCM2835 as there is no longer a memory package insulating the main chip away from the heat sink.

The average drop with just a heat sink on B Models was only around 4 degrees Fahrenheit. I never tried a fan or a fan and heat sink combo.

But again, unless you are going to stuff it into a closed off case, or stick it in the window in summer, it probably is not going to need one. Maybe it will help for overclocking and maybe it won't.

I am sure we will see someone give heat sinks and fans a try!

I did notice on the bring up day video that those sneaky Devils at the foundation had a heat sink/fan combo mounted to the processor.

In fact it looked like one of these!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Raspberry-Pi-Mi ... 35ccaeca97
:D :lol: :roll:
512MB version 2.0 as WordPress Server
Motorola Lapdock with Pi2B
Modded Rev 1.0 with pin headers at USB

http://rich1.dyndns.tv/
(RS)Allied ships old stock to reward its Customers for long wait!

Vennt

Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:55 am

My heatsink pack arrives today, I'll pop it on my Pi 2 and report the results.

DougieLawson

Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:10 pm

Vennt wrote:My heatsink pack arrives today, I'll pop it on my Pi 2 and report the results.
Why? Do you live in the Mojave, Sahara or Gobi desert or somewhere the outdoor temp is above 40C and you're running it out of doors?

If not the you DO NOT need a heatsink or a fan. It has one effect only, it gives a £1 of your money to the snake oil salesman selling it.
Note: Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

I'll do your homework for you for a suitable fee.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
All non-medical doctors are on my foes list.

Return to “Advanced users”