Beorn_Bear

Exagear and Games

Tue May 15, 2018 5:01 pm

I have a Raspberry Pi 3 B+ which I am using as my desktop computer. I am planning on purchasing Exagear. However, I wish to legally purchase games for Exagear. Does anyone have any suggestions? I find it difficult to find information.

fruitoftheloom

Re: Exagear and Games

Tue May 15, 2018 6:06 pm

Beorn_Bear wrote:
I have a Raspberry Pi 3 B+ which I am using as my desktop computer. I am planning on purchasing Exagear. However, I wish to legally purchase games for Exagear. Does anyone have any suggestions? I find it difficult to find information.

Exagear is a paid for product and you should contact Eltechs.
Adieu

PiGraham

Tue May 15, 2018 6:37 pm

Beorn_Bear wrote:

Isn't the point of exagear to run PC x86 software on other platforms? Then buy PC games and run them under exagear. Install Steam and buy Steam games.

If you want to check compatibility with any particular games ask eltechs.
Last edited by PiGraham on Tue May 15, 2018 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Heater

Tue May 15, 2018 7:03 pm

There are no "games for Exagear".

If I understand correctly Exagear enables one to run some Windows programs (built for Intel x86 processors running under Windows) on the ARM processor of the Pi running under Linux.

As such, what you want is "games for Windows". Which can be obtained through the usual channels people have been getting Windows games for three decades or so.

If any particular Windows game, or other software, actually runs and is usable with Exagear is something I don't know about.

Personally I would not waste my money on it.

fruitoftheloom

Tue May 15, 2018 7:13 pm

Heater wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 7:03 pm
There are no "games for Exagear".

If I understand correctly Exagear enables one to run some Windows programs (built for Intel x86 processors running under Windows) on the ARM processor of the Pi running under Linux.

As such, what you want is "games for Windows". Which can be obtained through the usual channels people have been getting Windows games for three decades or so.

If any particular Windows game, or other software, actually runs and is usable with Exagear is something I don't know about.

Personally I would not waste my money on it.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/magpi/exage ... ion-on-pi/

Once ExaGear Desktop is up and running, it becomes a neat solution for running a wider range of Linux software on your Raspberry Pi. The Windows aspect is interesting, but not practical.
Adieu

Heater

Tue May 15, 2018 8:09 pm

Yes, the "last word" in the article you link to says:

"Once ExaGear Desktop is up and running, it becomes a neat solution for running a wider range of Linux software on your Raspberry Pi. The Windows aspect is interesting, but not practical."

OK, so as a solution to run Windows software it is not worth the bother and expense. As expected.

But I'm wondering what it means by "...wider range of Linux software..."

What software exactly are they talking about there?

fruitoftheloom

Tue May 15, 2018 8:38 pm

Heater wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 8:09 pm
Yes, the "last word" in the article you link to says:

"Once ExaGear Desktop is up and running, it becomes a neat solution for running a wider range of Linux software on your Raspberry Pi. The Windows aspect is interesting, but not practical."

OK, so as a solution to run Windows software it is not worth the bother and expense. As expected.

Absolutely no idea as I am not prepared to pay the money.

MagPi have a newer write up:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/magpi/exage ... -3-review/
Adieu

n67

Tue May 15, 2018 8:53 pm

Presumably, you run into all the usual limitations of Wine - which is brilliant when it works, but my experience with it has been that it doesn't work very well with non-trivial Windows software.

Presumably off-the-shell closed source Linux software - compiled for x86 and distributed in binary only.

Of which there is some in this world, but not a lot. But some...
"L'enfer, c'est les autres"

If a post offends you, just put that poster on your foes list, and be done with it (and with them).

To do otherwise, risks being banned.

Heater

Tue May 15, 2018 9:42 pm

Don't get me wrong. I love Wine.

I love Wine for one particular reason. For ten years or more it has made it possible to run LTspice on Linux. LTspice is a pretty sophisticated schematic editor and circuit simulator. http://www.analog.com/en/design-center/ ... ators.html and it runs perfectly under Wine. It's almost as if Linear Technology goes out of their way to make it so.

If you are really perverse you can write GUI apps using the Windows API on Linux using libwine. Without ever seeing a Windows machine. Yes, I am perverse enough to have done that.

But as they say "Wine Is Not an Emulator". It's an implementation of the Windows API. Which may or may not be complete enough for whatever Windows program you have.

Moving that to a whole other CPU architecture, like ARM on the Pi, is whole other can or worms.

mikerr

Tue May 15, 2018 10:33 pm

To run Wine (windows apps / older games) on a Pi you also need to sort out x86 emulation on top ( which kills performance)

1. Wine specially compiled for 2G;2G, or run a custom 3G:1G kernel.
2. an emulator for the x86 translation (Qemu)
3. a chroot install of x86 debian available.

Exagear packages the above up, with their program being effectively an optimised Qemu.
Android app - Raspi Card Imager - download and image SD cards - No PC required !

Return to “Gaming”