Taxicletter

Graphical desktop doesn't start up anymore

Thu May 10, 2018 2:05 pm

Hi,

After installing and removing stuff (to install gstreamer ugly plugins) and playing with the sources.list, I did a reboot and suddenly I'm stuck in a terminal mode. I could (re)install xorg, but that didn't help.
When I type startx, I get an error "unable to connect tot X server".
There's something about a log file /home/pi/.local/share/xorg/Xorg.0.log. I see there things like:
"No Layout section", "no xscreen section", "no device specified for screen", "no screens found", "couldn't open module fbturbo", "no drivers available", ...

I found something about the configuration file, usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/... but that was for Ubuntu and I didn't find a failsave-file or something like that.

I'm using this Raspberry as my home-computer, so I really would like to fix that.

What can I test? What can I install or configure to fix this?

Hope somebody knows :-)

Thanks!
Attachments
IMG_1174.JPG
IMG_1174.JPG (133.84 KiB) Viewed 709 times
IMG_1173.JPG
IMG_1173.JPG (141.44 KiB) Viewed 709 times
IMG_1172.JPG
IMG_1172.JPG (145.96 KiB) Viewed 709 times
--::--::- 3 x Raspberry Pi 3 - Raspbian Lite 9 - RuneAudio - one broke (wifi) - not in use -::--::--

n67

Re: Graphical desktop doesn't start up anymore

Thu May 10, 2018 2:26 pm

viewtopic.php?f=66&t=212730

Ignore a "certain poster" on that thread.

This may or may not be related to your issue, but I will note that I have seen several reports of similar behavior lately, in various threads, with various titles.
"L'enfer, c'est les autres"

G fytc hsqr rum umpbq rm qyw rm rfc kmbq md rfgq dmpsk:

Epmu Sn!

J lnacjrw njbruh-carppnanm vxm rb mnuncrwp vh yxbcb!

Taxicletter

Thu May 10, 2018 2:41 pm

It's not clear to me where I should put the mentionned line of code. Where is that profile?
--::--::- 3 x Raspberry Pi 3 - Raspbian Lite 9 - RuneAudio - one broke (wifi) - not in use -::--::--

fbe

Thu May 10, 2018 4:19 pm

How did you reinstall xorg? Did you remove and then install it? If so, this topic viewtopic.php?f=66&t=133691 could help to install everything you need to start a specific desktop.

If you remove a package, then all packages that depend on it, are automatically removed too. And they don't get installed automatically when you install it again.

Taxicletter

Fri May 11, 2018 3:01 pm

To clarify, I didn't remove xorg to my knowledge. But in trying to restore my desktop, I followed the steps of the tutorial you mention: viewtopic.php?t=133691.

Most of the stuff I tried to install, got the message that it was already installed, which was to expect. Only xorg apparently not.

Maybe removing and THEN installing those parts again, maybe is a way to fix the problem?

Return to “General discussion”