User avatar
DougieLawson
Posts: 34107
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:19 pm
Location: Basingstoke, UK
Contact: Website

Re: Remote desktop (xrdp) on stretch: Some menu items do not work

Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:59 pm

jtmoderate876 wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:58 pm
Feels like xrdp is no longer practical on rpi.
serious bummer.
What's wrong with using RealVNC?
Microprocessor, Raspberry Pi & Arduino Hacker
Mainframe database troubleshooter
MQTT Evangelist
Twitter: @DougieLawson

2012-18: 1B*5, 2B*2, B+, A+, Z, ZW, 3Bs*3, 3B+

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

jtmoderate876
Posts: 29
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:38 pm

Re: Remote desktop (xrdp) on stretch: Some menu items do not work

Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:02 pm

Continued bummer...
XRDP is still broken on 2018-04-18 release of stretch.
Still can't get past login.

jtmoderate876
Posts: 29
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:38 pm

Re: Remote desktop (xrdp) on stretch: Some menu items do not work

Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:00 pm

DougieLawson wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:59 pm
What's wrong with using RealVNC?
Sorry for the delayed response @DougieLawson

It's just I use RDP to access everything else - servers and computers running locally, in Azure, AWS, my company cloud, and this use to work pretty perfectly (recently adding better mouse support and copy/paste).

But I guess I need to move to RealVNC for raspberry.
Thx.

jtmoderate876
Posts: 29
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:38 pm

Re: Remote desktop (xrdp) on stretch: Some menu items do not work

Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:39 pm

GOT XRDP WORKING AGAIN with the help from another forum that mentioned enabling VNC for XRDP setups.

I've not had to do that previously - but it worked.
So to configure a new stretch install for XRDP:

#use raspi-config to enable VNC so XRDP will work (new step for 2018-04)
#attach to wifi network
sudo apt-get install xrdp
# to repair xrdp append '@xhost si:localuser:root' to /home/pi/.config/lxsession/LXDE-pi/autostart othterwise sudo gui like
echo '@xhost si:localuser:root' | sudo tee -a /home/pi/.config/lxsession/LXDE-pi/autostart
sudo reboot # required
# and RDP using XRDP should work again

jtmoderate876
Posts: 29
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:38 pm

Re: Remote desktop (xrdp) on stretch: Some menu items do not work

Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:59 pm

MORE PROBLEMS with XRDP:

If I change the password from the default (pi/raspberry) I can no longer XRDP.

Yet if I change the password back to raspberry I can XRDP.

This is repeatable - back and forth.

jtmoderate876
Posts: 29
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:38 pm

Re: Remote desktop (xrdp) on stretch: Some menu items do not work

Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:11 pm

I gave up on XRDP and switched to RealVNC.

jtmoderate876
Posts: 29
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:38 pm

Re: Remote desktop (xrdp) on stretch: Some menu items do not work

Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:23 am

I have to pare down my use of pi because of this lack of xrdp support, the time consuming process of realizing that, trying to fix XRDP, giving up and adapting to RealVNC.

I know "RealVNC is better" and XRDP is dead and all, but..

The different VNC installs, learning curve (can't get true full screen, graphics still dithered, workflow different than cloud RDP computers, etc.) ...
... are causing me to depart from this previously enjoyable raspberry pi platform.

I was using these for expanding my testing options and instances but it has become combersome and the cloud options, while probably a little more costly, are now preferable.

The work here is so neat but I started to pull it in for professional things and that isn't working out without RDP.
There are plenty of great things about PI but also plenty of learning curves and time sinks for someone coming from windows.

It's too bad that raspbian became incompatible with RDP.
You guys should review this issue.

fruitoftheloom
Posts: 17603
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:40 pm

Re: Remote desktop (xrdp) on stretch: Some menu items do not work

Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:52 am

jtmoderate876 wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:23 am
I have to pare down my use of pi because of this lack of xrdp support, the time consuming process of realizing that, trying to fix XRDP, giving up and adapting to RealVNC.

I know "RealVNC is better" and XRDP is dead and all, but..

The different VNC installs, learning curve (can't get true full screen, graphics still dithered, workflow different than cloud RDP computers, etc.) ...
... are causing me to depart from this previously enjoyable raspberry pi platform.

I was using these for expanding my testing options and instances but it has become combersome and the cloud options, while probably a little more costly, are now preferable.

The work here is so neat but I started to pull it in for professional things and that isn't working out without RDP.
There are plenty of great things about PI but also plenty of learning curves and time sinks for someone coming from windows.

It's too bad that raspbian became incompatible with RDP.
You guys should review this issue.

The xRDP package is the responsibility of the Debian Maintainers nothing to do with RPT / RPF, contact them if broken:

https://packages.debian.org/stretch/xrdp
Adieu

loopyludo
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:04 am

Re: Remote desktop (xrdp) on stretch: Some menu items do not work

Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:09 am

First off many thanks for everyone that has contributed to this post so far, it has been an education for me as I searched for an alternative to VNC.

jtmoderate876 may I suggest that you try the backport xrdp package. I have successfully just installed this and it has worked for me.

You will need to add the backports source first to /etc/apt/sources.list
deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian stretch-backports main

Then install the backport xrdp
sudo apt-get -t stretch-backports install xrdp

jtmoderate876
Posts: 29
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:38 pm

Re: Remote desktop (xrdp) on stretch: Some menu items do not work

Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:22 pm

THANK YOU loopyludo ! THAT WORKED!

My exact steps were:

Code: Select all

sudo leafpad /etc/apt/sources.list
# and add the following excluding #:
# deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian stretch-backports main
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get -t stretch-backports install xrdp

# to repair xrdp  to allow elevated apps like rasperry configure, etc. append '@xhost si:localuser:root' to /home/pi/.config/lxsession/LXDE-pi/autostart othterwise sudo gui like 
echo '@xhost si:localuser:root' | sudo tee -a /home/pi/.config/lxsession/LXDE-pi/autostart
sudo reboot # required

Can you briefly describe what that did?
Is a backport the version of XRDP for the "NEXT" release of debian - pulled forward into this current stretch release?
So that would mean someone has already fixed it for the future?
Last edited by jtmoderate876 on Mon May 14, 2018 1:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

loopyludo
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:04 am

Re: Remote desktop (xrdp) on stretch: Some menu items do not work

Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:51 pm

jtmoderate876 Glad that worked for you, to be fair I am not exactly sure what the backports are, I believe what has happened is that someone has recompiled the xrdp package from the next unstable release however using the current stable release libraries.

I do hope that would mean that it will work in the future releases.

jtmoderate876
Posts: 29
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:38 pm

Re: Remote desktop (xrdp) on stretch: Some menu items do not work

Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:03 pm

Thanks again - wish I met you a couple weeks ago!

mohsenganj
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:43 am

Re: Remote desktop (xrdp) on stretch: Some menu items do not work

Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:02 am

Image

this may help you find a solution:

1. first, use the "Logout" Button from "Shutdown Options" Dialogue to logout
2. then Log in again
3. now yo can use Shutdown and Reboot Buttons

it is strange but working

mohsenganj
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:43 am

Re: Remote desktop (xrdp) on stretch: Some menu items do not work

Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:48 am

loopyludo wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:09 am
First off many thanks for everyone that has contributed to this post so far, it has been an education for me as I searched for an alternative to VNC.

jtmoderate876 may I suggest that you try the backport xrdp package. I have successfully just installed this and it has worked for me.

You will need to add the backports source first to /etc/apt/sources.list
deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian stretch-backports main

Then install the backport xrdp
sudo apt-get -t stretch-backports install xrdp
it is NOT working for me

devenh
Posts: 32
Joined: Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:11 pm

Re: Remote desktop (xrdp) on stretch: Some menu items do not work

Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:05 am

As much as I'd like to get the Shutdown options dialog to work, I gave up trying and simply created these two scripts and placed them on my desktop:

shutdown.sh

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash
sudo shutdown -h now
reboot.sh

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash
sudo reboot

noobinpi
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:52 pm

Re: Remote desktop (xrdp) on stretch: Some menu items do not work

Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:00 pm

You can get the Buttons working, just change the line 'Logout=lxde-pi-shutdown-helper' to 'Logout=gksudo lxde-pi-shutdown-helper'
in '/home/pi/.config/lxpanel/LXDE-pi/config'.

noobinpi
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:52 pm

Re: Remote desktop (xrdp) on stretch: Some menu items do not work

Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:12 pm

Just change 'Logout=lxde-pi-shutdown-helper' in '/home/pi/.config/lxpanel/LXDE-pi/config' to 'Logout=gksudo lxde-pi-shutdown-helper' and all buttons are working.

tony_lock
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:50 am

Re: Remote desktop (xrdp) on stretch: Some menu items do not work

Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:26 am

The reason why the shutdown doesn't work even after running as sudo is it seems to check who the real user is. The program actually running is lxde-pi-shutdown-helper, which is called via /home/pi/.config/lxpanel/LXDE-pi/config commenting out the Logout=lxde-pi-shutdown-helper in the config file produces a much more useful logout menu which prompts for a password on Shutdown and Reboot but does do it.

ejolson
Posts: 2017
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:47 am

Re: Remote desktop (xrdp) on stretch: Some menu items do not work

Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:01 pm

tony_lock wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:26 am
The reason why the shutdown doesn't work even after running as sudo is it seems to check who the real user is.
Where I am xrdp is used to allow many people to simultaneously log into Linux running on a fairly well provisioned Xeon server from their Windows office computers. It would be a disaster if the shutdown menu actually worked. I suspect permissions for the menu options that shut the system down rely on which user currently owns the console. Since people logging in remotely don't have physical access, it makes sense that they not be allowed to reboot.

Because the old versions in the repositories don't work very well, I've always resorted to compiling xorg and xorgrdp from source. It appears to be good code that is surprisingly easy to compile. Using the version from backports sounds like a reasonable compromise between the old package in Raspbian and compiling the latest version yourself.

Return to “Raspbian”