ErgatesthiAnt

Network failures incl Samba share copy failures and VNC freezes

Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:47 am

I'm using an RPi 3B+ with a fresh install of Raspbian from noobs. It has Samba installed and also OpenVPN, VNC, SSH and Transmission. When I try to copy a series of larger files to my Windows 10 computer, the copy usually fails after a couple of GB has been copied. The error is "An unexpected error is keeping you from copying the file". The file is 8.7GB in size. A reboot clears the network problem, and smaller files copy just fine.

The network is wired ethernet via a Netgear switch for both RPi and desktop hardware.

Any ideas?
Last edited by ErgatesthiAnt on Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ErgatesthiAnt

Re: Samba share copy failures

Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:38 am

OK, more diagnosis discovered:
I forgot to add that it has an ntfs 4TB Western Digital drive connected. It's not on a powered hub, and I don't ever recall any powering up problems with the drive/RPi.
VNC also used to fail/freeze randomly, and would then continue working if I restarted the VNC client on the windows machine.
If I swap the SD card from my 3B+ to a 3B, then there are no network problems.
From what I recall, the networking problems started when I installed the 3B+ RPi. (Installed as a new samba file server)

gkreidl

Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:16 pm

Ther seem to be problems with the new usb ethernet driver: viewtopic.php?f=63&t=208512
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

ErgatesthiAnt

Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:38 pm

gkreidl wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:16 pm
Ther seem to be problems with the new usb ethernet driver: viewtopic.php?f=63&t=208512
Thank you! I do believe this has fixed the problem. Setting flow control to on on both my NetGear ProSafe GS103 switches has corrected for whatever the driver problem is, if that is what it is. Amusingly I have slightly better network performance also.

ErgatesthiAnt

Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:40 pm

Oh blast, as I wrote that it fell over again. Maybe it's not the solution. Grrrr. How I hate fault finding intermittent problems.

Return to “Troubleshooting”